Another NGD! SC245 GT content...

Jimi D

@ the hundredth meridian
Whelp, this came up for sale locally and I'm so weak...

U4RG9h3.jpg

It's a 2009, WF neck, lovely open birds just like my Sunburst 22 and it weighs in at a very manageable 7 lbs 10 oz. It's essentially unplayed, which is something I can't for the life of me understand because the playability is simply stellar; I just love holding this instrument! Fit and finish is, of course, impeccable... it came complete with bird tag, papers and case. Lovely. I'm silly for Goldtops, having owned a Gibby LP Deluxe GT and a Goldtop CU24 in the past, both of which I've had occasion to regret selling over the years...

I've been playing with the 245 pickups and will give them some time before I decide if I want to keep them or not... I've heard or read that they're essentially covered Mira pickups, and I'm very happy with both my Miras... I like the McCarty pups too, so I suspect I'll come to terms with these but the jury's still out. They weren't as instantly sweet to my ears as 57/08s in the three guitars I have them... we'll see...

I traded the last Gibson Les Paul I owned for my 25th Anniversary Custom, the guitar that essentially launched me into my obsession with PRS guitars. Since then, my Zack Myers with Burstbuckers has been my "Les Paul-alike"; I haven't sat down to back-to-back the ZM and the SC245, but I think they'll complement each other nicely... I might opt for the Mann bridge for the 245 and move this stop tail to the ZM; I think that might be a nice upgrade for both guitars....

Still loving the ride; I've been so fortunate with the PRS guitars I find...

Whelp, this came up for sale locally and I'm so weak...

U4RG9h3.jpg

It's a 2009, WF neck, lovely open birds just like my Sunburst 22 and it weighs in at a very manageable 7 lbs 10 oz. It's essentially unplayed, which is something I can't for the life of me understand because the playability is simply stellar; I just love holding this instrument! Fit and finish is, of course, impeccable... it came complete with bird tag, papers and case. Lovely. I'm silly for Goldtops, having owned a Gibby LP Deluxe GT and a Goldtop CU24 in the past, both of which I've had occasion to regret selling over the years...

I've been playing with the 245 pickups and will give them some time before I decide if I want to keep them or not... I've heard or read that they're essentially covered Mira pickups, and I'm very happy with both my Miras... I like the McCarty pups too, so I suspect I'll come to terms with these but the jury's still out. They weren't as instantly sweet to my ears as 57/08s in the three guitars I have them... we'll see...

I traded the last Gibson Les Paul I owned for my 25th Anniversary Custom, the guitar that essentially launched me into my obsession with PRS guitars. Since then, my Zack Myers with Burstbuckers has been my "Les Paul-alike"; I haven't sat down to back-to-back the ZM and the SC245, but I think they'll complement each other nicely... I might opt for the Mann bridge for the 245 and move this stop tail to the ZM; I think that might be a nice upgrade for both guitars....

Still loving the ride; I've been so fortunate with the PRS guitars I find...

I hold the one piece bridges in high regard and this is probably the sc model I would buy.

Thanks guys...

Spent hours playing with it last night and I think I'm going to have to break down and replace the 245 pups... I played with pickup height at length but just couldn't escape the dense, mid-heavy neck tones... I really prefer more bell-like, airy tones in the neck, and I don't think this pickup is going to deliver. The bridge can work for me in a pinch, but I'd like a little more clarity from it too (without getting too harsh)... so now the search for the right PAF-style pup...

There's a fellow with a couple recent 57/08s not too far from me, but they're the square bobbins, uncovered, and I'm not sure I want to go that route (don't even know if they'd fit)... truth is, I'm really thinking they have to be brushed nickel covers... Maybe I'll try some high wind Imperials? I'm not wealthy enough to buy into some of these costlier boutique pickups - even new PRS pickups would likely be a stretch with the current exchange on the CDN$ being what it is - so if anyone has any non-exotic suggestions, I'm all ears...

Back