Another Hero of the Greatest Generation passes.

P.Lo

Watching
RIP

W-Berlin-Express-B.jpg

"He figured I'd try to get around and he'd have time to get away. He was wrong. I was right behind him, right under the Eiffel Tower with him. And when he pulled up, I did get him." William Overstreet

The pursuit inspired thousands of people below who witnessed the feat.The Paris citizenry actually rose up in defiance of the Germans for a period of three days, celebrating that victory. And they knew the Germans would lose the war.
The French people never forgot Overstreet's courage. In 2009, France presented William Overstreet with that country's highest award, the Legion of Honor. Overstreet was a very modest man. He accepted the medal in memory of servicemen who died in the war.
Bill was selfless. He was authentic. He knew who he was. We will never see the likes of these men again.
World War II veteran William Overstreet passed away in Roanoke, Virginia this past Sunday. He was 92 years old.

Thanks for posting this, very cool. Always nice to hear a daredevil made it to his 90s!

Capt. Overstreet was squadron mates with Chuck Yeager and Bud Anderson. Godspeed, Bill.

Last edited:
Thank you.

Meanwhile, I suspect the top story on news sites is that Justin Bieber just burped and didn't say 'excuse me'.

Wow! I like to pretend that I'm a francophile and I loved WWII stuff as a kid but I'd never heard of this before... wow.

Back