Another Hard To Port video - Pirate's Revenge

shinksma

What? I get a title?
Hey everyone, as threatened in a previous thread I've been editing some more footage of my band playing live.

This is an original song - a friend gave us a poem he had written, and asked if we could make a song of it. So we did. (Well, Jenn, the lead singer in this particular video, did.)

This was part of our set opening for Mairead Nesbitt in Feb 2019 - it was a fundraiser for the Ormond Beach Celtic Festival.

I recorded the video using a GoPro tucked at the side of the stage, so the footage is just from a static spot - a bit boring visually. I also wasn't sure where we'd be, exactly, so I set the lens wide, and had to zoom the video to get a nice crop. Unfortunately, the best videographer I know that would do a really good job of recording us for a low fee is me. And I'm too darned busy up there playing!

something to be said for sea shanties but the pirate lifestyle hurts people and i can’t support that.

something to be said for sea shanties but the pirate lifestyle hurts people and i can’t support that.
"Don't let the eye patch scare ya kids, it's only there for looks".

"Pirates have feelings too!"

Lines from a song by a colleague in the local music scene. His song is quite an amusing take on the stereotypes of pirates, especially the Blackbeard variety:

Oh, and thanks for all the replies!

I play in a band called the Intercoastal Pirates. You can support swashbuckling rock and roll, can’t ya?

@shinksma Tune brought memories of Thin Lizzy’s version of Whiskey in a Jar. Cool!
Hah, we cover that song a fair bit. And I do use the Thin Lizzy arrangement, with a dash of the Metallica cover growl. But since I'm the lead singer and main rhythm guitar player when we play that song, I don't get to do any rock'n'roll lead breaks. :(

That’s brilliant Steve! Keep ‘em coming.

Pardon me for being self indulgent -

This might suit your group!;)

PS - this is nothing to do with me other than the song title!

That’s brilliant Steve! Keep ‘em coming.

Pardon me for being self indulgent -

This might suit your group!;)

PS - this is nothing to do with me other than the song title!
Interestingly, this is almost exactly how another local band we know, Remedy Tree, plays - they may even do that song, for all I know! They are a young bluegrass band, full of energy and ambition. Like this, for example:

Gabe, the lead singer/guitarist in that video, and Abi, the bass player and backing vocalist, are the married couple at the core of the band. Gabe is a very, very good fiddle player. As is usual, everyone plays all kinds of instruments. Abi also plays guitar, for example. They are a blast! I suspect the next time I see them will be at the Barberville Spring Frolic (a folk festival at the Barberville Pioneer Settlement).

So here is the 2020 version of the same song at the 2020 edition of the concert, recorded just over a week ago. My wife is on bass this time around. EDIT: a PRS Kingfisher bass, of course!

We got the sound board recording of most of the set, and used two fixed-point cameras, and I learned how to play with the editing software a bit using my newer, waaaay faster dedicated "gaming" desktop PC. We'll be producing a few more videos from this concert.

Last edited:
Back