Another Eternal Question. Amp or Guitar?

CpHfc5UZh8w02phTTyAKcggNyzIg-jIp47QKUuy7AQI.png

DTR, them women folk have no idea, amirite!? Complaining about their bra straps when they just have not the 1st clue.... but I digress:p

Exactly! Trying wearing a jock for 2 hours while playing basketball, then tell me about your bra straps. :p It's like,"here, let me put your "stuff" in a vice, squeeze it all together and then hold it like that for two hours while you run around on the basketball court like you've got a stick up your butt!" Of course, playing in boxers is out as well. Junk flyin everywhere... so you find a middle ground (no pun intended).

Exactly! Trying wearing a jock for 2 hours while playing basketball, then tell me about your bra straps. :p It's like,"here, let me put your "stuff" in a vice, squeeze it all together and then hold it like that for two hours while you run around on the basketball court like you've got a stick up your butt!" Of course, playing in boxers is out as well. Junk flyin everywhere... so you find a middle ground (no pun intended).

Any sport that requires a jock strap is a sport to be avoided at all costs!

:p

So...back to the topic, maybe...

We all have pedals we like with specific amps, and maybe, not so much with other amps. What are your choices? I have mine, and will get into them later.

So...back to the topic, maybe...

We all have pedals we like with specific amps, and maybe, not so much with other amps. What are your choices? I have mine, and will get into them later.

We took a detour there didn't we? Remember folks no Kemper or Quad cortex here.

Guitar or amp, tough one. Definitely get that piece of gear that allows you to squeeze more creativity juice, even a drop counts.

Maybe the HDRX is you answer. Who wouldn't want an amp that is 1969 rock stadium ready! This could be the tool in your kit you need. From what I hear from Carr at Sweet Water the amp is very sensitive to playing dynamics which is really good. Definitely will help find your hand tones and also expose your mistakes as it is very receptive and responsive. From what it sounds like it is not a forgiving amp, no purple haze to cover your playing mistakes :(

For me I got super excited when I found out, how can you not. They are making the man's amp! Then I realized I only play 2 Jimi Hendrix songs on stage and the rest of the night I sound and play like ol' Busy Jimi (me). So I will have to leave this one behind.

My lowly current setup.

Boss Katana Artist 100w
TS808
Keeley Phat Mod
Foxyy Tone Box Fuzz with octave Switch
VOX Wah
*Honorable mention - I will definitely be getting the Vertex Steel String Singer SRV pedal. For anything is as a tone shaping tool at the end of my chain. Even David Grissom has one on his new pedal board. He uses the MK1 one version of the Vertex SSS.

Last edited:
So last night a found out Stevie Ray Vaughn used Dumble custom Steel String Singer Amps and Marshall Major amps during 1987. That led me to the Vertex SSS Dumble amp in a pedal. Where have I been ? Oh yeah under that rock.

Here is a link to the Vertex SSS. They have a SRV revision out that was released last month . Has fatter lower end and has jazz cut options. Pretty slick and David Grissom is using the MK1 on his new pedal board.

go to 1:20:00 on this video clip from 2019 to see David Grissom talking about his new pedal board that he uses for his European tour. You will some newer pedals he is using. The Vertex SSS is on there and he talks about each one.

Last edited:
We took a detour there didn't we? Remember folks no Kemper or Quad cortex here.

Guitar or amp, tough one. Definitely get that piece of gear that allows you to squeeze more creativity juice, even a drop counts.

Maybe the HDRX is you answer. Who wouldn't want an amp that is 1969 rock stadium ready! This could be the tool in your kit you need. From what I hear from Carr at Sweet Water the amp is very sensitive to playing dynamics which is really good. Definitely will help find your hand tones and also expose your mistakes as it is very receptive and responsive. From what it sounds like it is not a forgiving amp, no purple haze to cover your playing mistakes :(

For me I got super excited when I found out, how can you not. They are making the man's amp! Then I realized I only play 2 Jimi Hendrix songs on stage and the rest of the night I sound and play like ol' Busy Jimi (me). So I will have to leave this one behind.

My lowly current setup.

Boss Katana Artist 100w
TS808
Keeley Phat Mod
Foxyy Tone Box Fuzz with octave Switch
VOX Wah
*Honorable mention - I will definitely be getting the Vertex Steel String Singer SRV pedal. For anything is as a tone shaping tool at the end of my chain. Even David Grissom has one on his new pedal board. He uses the MK1 one version of the Vertex SSS.

I think it'd be fun to have the HDRX, as well as the HXDA. I don't play any Hendrix stuff, really it just sounds good in the demos, and I love the HXDA enough that it'd be fun to have a variant of that kind of sound.

Generally, I like a touch-sensitive amp that has a lot of clarity. The HXDA is that way, at least how I set mine up (edge of breakup, more clean than dirty). My Two-Rocks and Bad Cat were also sensitive to player's touch, and other than my PRS amps, were favorites.

So, in the words of some cowboy or other, "I ain't skeered!"

I think it'd be fun to have the HDRX, as well as the HXDA. I don't play any Hendrix stuff, really it just sounds good in the demos, and I love the HXDA enough that it'd be fun to have a variant of that kind of sound.

Generally, I like a touch-sensitive amp that has a lot of clarity. The HXDA is that way, at least how I set mine up (edge of breakup, more clean than dirty). My Two-Rocks and Bad Cat were also sensitive to player's touch, and other than my PRS amps, were favorites.

So, in the words of some cowboy or other, "I ain't skeered!"

Well then, sattle up partner it's time to ride !​

Hey Les , have you looked into the Ceriatone Amps at all ? They have a JM100 which is basically a 100 watt clone of John Mayer's Two Rock Amp.

Here is a link of someone using it that is heavily inspired by SRV, the amp has several mods from the SSS.

Back