Another amp on the chopping block

elvis

Hamfisted String Banger
I'm trying like heck to downsize my collection. It's been hard to sell faster than I've been buying...

And looking at what I've got left, it was Shiva 20th vs. Archon. I was avoiding the decision, as the Archon could wind up going. They are quite similar amps, and the Shiva has some cool features.

But, the Archon stays. After a standard Shiva and a 20th, I still can't get it dialed quite where I want it. And my latest sessions with the Archon have it KILLING.

Ce la vie. Hail Archon

The relatively small size and weight of the Archon is a big advantage as well. I just wish it had a foot switchable second master volume.

Obvious.........Santana!
Bodia...I gotta ask...haven't been on the forum that long.

What is it with the Santana that tickles you so pink? I mean...it's a GREAT guitar but there must be some back story!

Well, let me put it this way. As an almost “since the beginning” fan of PRS, the Santana has always been one of their only guitars that just didn’t appeal to me. Didn’t like the body shape as well, didn’t like that it didn’t have the usual PRS headstock, which I love... But after listing to Bodia for the last year plus, I will not walk in a shop that has one again without playing it. I’ve seen many, and never picked one up. Now, I have to try one next time I see one. And now, he can answer for himself.

Bodia...I gotta ask...haven't been on the forum that long.

What is it with the Santana that tickles you so pink? I mean...it's a GREAT guitar but there must be some back story!

Like DTR, I'd never played one, nor was I particularly fond of them. Not dismissive. Just liked other models better. Then, the whole White Westie thing went down.

http://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...dit-sergio-gets-the-white-westie.21955/page-8

In case it's not in the right spot, first post of page 8 is where it gets good. I went to Sergio's under the guise of wanting to buy my first Santana, but wasn't sure if I'd like the neck, scale length, etc. Sergio lives close, so he was gracious enough to invite me over to check his KL-33 out (Korina version of a Santana). It was all a ploy for me and JFB to hand deliver the great White Westie that he was clueless about. I'm the doofus in the video that spouts, "I'm not buying a Santana." Whelp, then I played a couple. Next thing you know, I have 5 (4 currently). They are just a joy to play. Chunky neck, 24.5" scale and 24 frets, and they have a "grunt" that I wasn't expecting. Plus, if you're a guy that doesn't know what the volume and tone knobs are for, they're out of the way!

I just sing the praise of the all mighty Santana model because I don't want anyone to overlook what a slammin' guitar it is. If you see one, play it and judge for yourself. Don't be surprised if you take it home with you!

Last edited:
Like DTR, I'd never played one, nor was I particularly fond of them. Not dismissive. Just liked other models better. Then, the whole White Westie thing went down.

http://forums.prsguitars.com/thread...dit-sergio-gets-the-white-westie.21955/page-8

In case it's not in the right spot, first post of page 8 is where it gets good. I went to Sergio's under the guise of wanting to buy my first Santana, but wasn't sure if I'd like the neck, scale length, etc. Sergio lives close, so he was gracious enough to invite me over to check his KL-33 out (Korina version of a Santana). It was all a ploy for me and JFB to hand deliver the great White Westie that he was clueless about. I'm the doofus in the video that spouts, "I'm not buying a Santana." Whelp, then I played a couple. Next thing you know, I have 5 (4 currently). They are just a joy to play. Chunky neck, 24.5" scale and 24 frets, and they have a "grunt" that I wasn't expecting. Plus, if you're a guy that doesn't know what the volume and tone knobs are for, they're out of the way!

I just sign the praise of the all mighty Santana model because I don't want anyone to overlook what a slammin' guitar it is. If you see one, play it and judge for yourself. Don't be surprised if you take it home with you!
OK...now I understand Grasshopper...thx for sharing your story!

I had a chance to play my first Santana about 6 months ago at Dave's in Lacrosse...honestly, the reason I picked it up was because it was an absolutely gorgeous, mint used wood library I think. I guess I kind of overlooked them in the past due to the heavy type of music I mostly play...but my preconceived notions of what that guitar could and couldn't due were blown out of the water.

Surprising range of tones, chunky but comfy neck...not a huge fan of the body shape but fit well and very comfy. When the right used one comes along that won't break the bank...I'm gonna take the plunge!! Although I do think just one will be enough for my limited stable!

Many a man has been unable to meet the challenge of “just one” when it comes to PRS models...

They’re like rabbits. They proliferate.
I guess the Tremonti must be akin to a strapping young rabbit then...1 quickly turned into 3!!!

Got my first PRS back in 2001...Custom 22 Artist stoptail with the Dragon II's...changed my playing forever (I should say made me a better player)... and yes, they keep showing up on my doorstep...it's a mystery...

I guess the Tremonti must be akin to a strapping young rabbit then...1 quickly turned into 3!!!

Got my first PRS back in 2001...Custom 22 Artist stoptail with the Dragon II's...changed my playing forever (I should say made me a better player)... and yes, they keep showing up on my doorstep...it's a mystery...

I feel your joy. ;)

For me the ( KL-33 ) Santana was the starting point of all things PRS.
My PS would prob be a Santana body with a 25" scale and 408 electronics if I were to get one someday.
All PRS look cool but I am a huge fan of the Santana headstock !!!!

Back