Angelus SE Custom vs. Angelus SE A40E

SE Custom vs. SE A40E

• Total voters

Terrorizer

Hello,
I was looking for a good quality guitar that would be affordable for me.
First, I found this Angelus SE A40E.
Sounds pretty good, looks amazing, thats it!
Suddenly, one of the shop employees told me that there is similar guitar called Angelus SE Custom.
He claimed Custom very similar to A40E, used to be more expensive but its like grandpa of A40E so the price went lower.
So now i have to decide - SE Custom or SE A40E for the same price.
As not very experienced acoustic guitarist I need your help guys.
What is better choice in your opinion?

Hi @Terrorizer !

The older SE Angelus Custom has a rosewood body, whereas the A40e has an Ovengkol body. As described on a random website:

"ovangkol shares many of rosewood's tonal properties"

So yes, they are probably very similar sounding.

The one advantage, IMHO, that the older Angelus Custom has over the A40e are the volume/tone/tuner controls on the upper bout, instead of just vol and tone "wheels" inside the sound hole. I like that control panel there on my Angelus Custom vs the sound hole controls on my T50e.

If you like the sound of both, I see no reason why you wouldn't get the one that has the preferred control layout. Only you can decide that!

To make things even more confusing... the Angelus Custom became the A30e, the main difference being the A30e featured soundhole controls instead of the upper bout panel, then the A30e was replaced with the A40e.

I have the A30e, which as shinksma said, does t have that nice upper bout control panel. I think the Custom also has a built in tuner in that panel. I would go for the Custom, if all other things are equal.

I think they all sound very similar, and collectively they’re my favorite of the SE acoustic offerings. Lots of depth and body to the tone, so they sound fantastic played solo.

I have an Angelus Custom.....great guitar and I prefer the pre amp on it. Mine was purchased for a great price as the "A" series came in. Daves had it marked as used.....but when it arrived, the plastic was still on it. Display model in perfect condition.

You won't go wrong either way....really just depends upon how you like the controls.

Edit - Daves has three Customs listed on Reverb currently.......I have two guitars from them....top notch folks!

Last edited:
...I think the Custom also has a built in tuner in that panel. I would go for the Custom, if all other things are equal...

Yes the electronics in the Custom have the tuner in there. Works well too. The rosewood is warm with a strong midrange. Great for an acoustic.

As an Authorized PRS Dealer almost 10 years now I would personally take the Angelus Standard all day long and twice on Sunday over any other SE Acoustic Past - Present. When the Standard and Custom were both first released the Angelus Standard smoked the Custom on sound acoustically and plugged in. As far as the next series that rolled in from PRS the A10E and the A15AL were the sweet spots.
For the present series the sweet spot is the A40E so you definitely cannot go wrong there.

Damn there was not much to go for in that store, plus the standard version is not available anywhere.
I was so hot on these guitars and just bought that Angelus SE Custom.
What makes me wonder after all your posts, I have no electronics in it, just a regular acoustic guitar but at least they gave me this hard case that wasnt there with A40E.
Anyways, I am really happy having it. My fingers are literally bleeding after sleeples night with my new baby haha
Thank you guys for your support !!

This may not be much help, but I completely agree with Coral Sky Music (tried to visit your store the last time I was in Cape Coral but you were closed :( ). As the owner of an SE Angelus Standard, I can attest to the build quality of the Korean line and that it will be a great guitar. But if you can play them both, let your hands and ears be your guides.

Sorry Boogie You Must Have Dropped By During One Of The Rare Times We Took A Mini Vacation....
Terrorizor,
Th SE Angelus Custom Came With Built In Electronics, Did The Owner Remove The Exterior Pre Amp System??

Sorry Boogie You Must Have Dropped By During One Of The Rare Times We Took A Mini Vacation....
Terrorizor,
Th SE Angelus Custom Came With Built In Electronics, Did The Owner Remove The Exterior Pre Amp System??
I seem to recall that when the Angelus Standard and Custom came out, they had an option of no electronics (or rather, the base model had mo electronics and you had to pay more for the electronics pre-amp and pickup). The market demanded electronics, for the most part, so PRS dropped the "base model". That is all IIRC...

So if @Terrorizer has a non-"e" Angelus Custom, is it indeed a very early first year build.

Shinksma
You are correct, my bad. I completely forgot they did have a choice of electronics at first, sucks getting old!!!
I must have picked the wrong day to stop taking my Ginkoba.

I owned a SE Angelus Standard without electronics. It was a very good guitar. I sold it to help fund a purchase. If I ever want to buy another SE, I'll search for an early Korean model. I never played a bad one.

Of all the SE acoustics I’ve played, the 40 sounded best to me. Really interested in playing the 60 though.

Back