Angelus SE Custom vs. Angelus Private Stock

docbennett

Banned
Last month I was fortunate enough to obtain a NOS Angelus Private Stock at a price I couldn't turn down (great value :) ). I love the guitar. So much so, that in a recent trade with our Candadian Pusher Brent, I had him include a Custom SE as a back up.

Thought you'd like to know....the main differences are as follows:

Private Stock....heavier....has a greater "heft" and feels "less inexpensive" when holding it...but that is purely subjective. It also has the Santana headstock which I love, and much more exotic tone woods. It is primarily cocobolo and has a very dark tone to it. Relatively higher action, so not as easy to play as my electrics.

SE Custom.....significantly lighter, but does not "feel cheap" at all. Best surprise was the ebony fretboard and bridge. Obviously cheaper construction than the private stock...but you can buy almost 10 of the SE's for the cost of the PS, so big deal.

Most obvious comparison...The SE has a much "brighter" tone. Much more treble. Maybe the ebony? Even better...very low action...I can play this like I play my electrics without any hand fatigue. Very light to the touch, and my lead riffs are comparable to playing my electrics.

The SE has 20 frets...the PS has 21. The SE has a Truss Rod...the PS has a carbon fiber non-adjustable one. But, overall, it was a delightful experience and I would recommend this guitar to anyone. I guess we lose some perspective when we call a $750 guitar "cheap"....but this plays like a much more expensive guitar and I am very happy with it. It will allow me to put less wear and tear on the PS...although the SE's magonany and ebony are so nice I know I will feel lousy once that first dent has made its mark.​

Thanks for posting this Ned. The tone of the SE acoustics is fantastic to my ear and I'd really like to pick one up, nice to hear your perspective on it. They sound like a lot more than $750-worth of guitar. Congrats on the PS too!

As I continue to play the PS and the SE side by side, I can state that the primary differences remain:

• PS is "heftier", SE is noticibly lighter
  • PS has a "darker" tone....the SE is much more "trebly"
  • SE has lower action...much easier to play lead
  • SE has a Truss Rod
  • SE has an Ebony Fretboard which is VERY comfortable
  • SE has a strap button on the back of the bottom of the neck...no strap button on the PS
  • No electronics on my SE....not missed, since my other acoustics have that option, including the PS

Overall, the SE is a guitar that I would never hesitate to play, and it will stand up to a side-by-side comparison to the Private Stock any day. At some point, I may try to play them both together and video the differences, but my recording equipment is probably not good enough to have the differences stand out in a youtube video. Bottom line....while I love my private stock, and see it as a collectors item...I'd rather have 10 SE Customs than 1 Private Stock :)

Back