Angelus Cutaway Tuner Maintenance

Scottm

I just purchased a used Private Stock Angelus Cutaway with the Robson/PRS open back tuning keys. Some of them seem very stiff. Is there a recommended procedure for lubricating these? Martin recommends using simple petroleum jelly applied by a toothpick. Does anyone have any ideas or experience here? Thanks.

I have them on my PS, too, and I was told they're not supposed to need lubrication because of the materials chosen for the mechanism. However, since the end of the winder has a round thingy on the tuner button, and not a screw, I don't know which screw one should loosen, maybe the one at the gear? Maybe the thing on the button is decorative?

Beats me. I'd call PRS Customer Service and ask.

imagejpg1_zps66e259d4.jpg

My tonare has a screw as does the pic. My other guitar doesn't.

For some reason, I was under the impression that on most PRS tuners, the screw to loosen a bit was the one at the end of the button. Clearly, these must work differently.

But honestly, I have no idea whatsoever how to fix much of anything on my guitars, so I'm of very little use.

The Tonare's get loose and the other doesn't. Take what you will from this.

Last edited:
I had the same problem on my McManus. I pulled the tuning key out and found that the little brass seat that the tuner sets in had the tiniest of burrs around the collar which was impeding the action. Might be the same with yours.

Back