Angelus body size

wristshot

Hi, everyone. New member here.

My first acoustic was an Epiphone DR-500MCE, a big loud dreadnought. Sounds great but just too big for me. Walked into my local high-end store looking for something smaller and walked out (minus quite a bit of cash) with a beautiful Taylor 312ce 12-fret, which is a lovely and compact guitar that I now play exclusively over the Epi.

I now want to move back up a bit in size, though not all the way to a dread. I have an SE Custom 22 semi-hollow that I just love and find much easier to play than any of my other electrics, so I'm drawn to one of the new SE Angelus guitars (maybe A50e, but open to suggestions).

Anyhow, I can't for the life of me figure out the size of the body. I assume it's in between the dread and the grand concert, but closer to the former or the latter?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered here.

Cheers,

m

Welcome to the forum wristshot.

The Angelus is a bit bigger than your GC 12 fret.

It is noticeably smaller than my dreadnought. More importantly, it is much more comfortable to play. It feels smaller than its voice is.

Hi,

Just am settling in with my SE A60E Angelus found on Reverb. The Angelus has a body shape much like that of a Grand Auditorium Taylor x14 Series...the Taylor x12 Series is slightly smaller shaped, Concert-sized. I think you'd like either the A50E or A60E. The A50E is maple back/sides and is similar in tone to the [EDITED] Taylor 714ce in brightness. The A60E is fuller and richer sounding, and to my ears sounds more evenly balanced that the A50E. But if you've been happy with the Taylor sound, the A50E is the way to go.

Last edited:
The Angelus has a body shape much like that of a Grand Auditorium Taylor x14 Series...[snipped a bunch] The A50E is maple back/sides and is similar in tone to the Taylor in brightness.
Yes, size is similar, shape noticeably different.

You need to be careful with statements about tone similarities because Taylor makes a bunch of Grand Auditoriums with very different wood combinations. Most of them will not sound remotely like your maple Angelus.

Yes, size is similar, shape noticeably different.

You need to be careful with statements about tone similarities because Taylor makes a bunch of Grand Auditoriums with very different wood combinations. Most of them will not sound remotely like your maple Angelus.

Of course, was hopefully implying similar construction materials would produce similar results, though the x14 and x12 Series are widely varied in materials. Have since corrected my previous post and stated as edited.

Was thinking my former 714ce was similar to the A50E, but that may have been my ears, not an objective option.

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone, for the helpful advice. I did get the A50E. Tried to post a pic showing it next to the Taylor 312ce 12-fret LTD and the Epiphone dread, but have apparently not yet earned the right to post a link. Anyhow, the A50E is a great-sounding and sharp-looking guitar, for sure, and perfect for me size-wise.

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful advice. I did get the A50E. Tried to post a pic showing it next to the Taylor 312ce 12-fret LTD and the Epiphone dread, but have apparently not yet earned the right to post a link. Anyhow, the A50E is a great-sounding and sharp-looking guitar, for sure, and perfect for me size-wise.

Congrats on the A50E! The A50E was my 2nd choice to the A60E, though I sought a balanced tone with the A60E's zircote back/sides that sounded warmer than the A50E's maple, but for folks who like the brighter maple tones, the A50E is an awesome choice.

Happy to hear the size is a good fit for you.

(P.S. You'll need to post several more times before being able to post pics...looking forward to viewing your new guitar...)

Back