And thanks to The Fight....

Furtive

Knight of Bangin'ess
...today is starting off to be a very happy Friday.

The Dog of Frankenstein now has a beautifully worn brass block trem, courtesy of our own Long Haired Demigod. While The Dog proved to be a solid player EVEN WITH A FRIGGIN FENDER TREM ON IT, it fell right into predictable PRS feel once the correct bridge was installed. Also replaced the incorrect pup rings with new PRS ones - fixing the high action issue as I had predicted.

This was also the first time I looked into the pickup cavities. Would ya look at that fracture that runs from the low E trem screw hole into the pickup cavity... scary, but it plays great. Completely stable except for the G tuner which continues to slip. Next step is to replace the toggle with an all chrome one, and then off to Chuck Kuzminski to get the back refinished.

Fight, I tried to line up the saddles correctly as to not interfere with any of your mojo from player wear. If there is one thing I like more than shiny new parts, it's old ones that still work fine and have a patina finish. Thanks again, buddy :)

But enough of me jabbering at 5am, here's the pics!
DSC_0487_zpssrrgbztf.jpg

DSC_0489_zpspjr4tghs.jpg

DSC_0492_zps2uh2mnwu.jpg

Your welcome!
I'm so glad it worked out, that trem is actually from my first PRS and looks like it suits that guitar perfect. It's feels great to see some one put it to good use.
Having a fender trem on a PRS should never be an option!

Your welcome!
I'm so glad it worked out, that trem is actually from my first PRS and looks like it suits that guitar perfect. It's feels great to see some one put it to good use.
Having a fender trem on a PRS should never be an option!

This is from your first PRS?!

This is from your first PRS?!

Haha I love that movie!
Yeah I had a floyd installed back in the day, and now I can't put it don't. Oh it's the blue cu24 that I made a post about the 59/09 pickups. Man by the way, I just noticed how deep the break is in that guitar. I'm kinda surprised it's working great, probably wanna keep it in a case after use. So stoked for you!

Is D. Betts the name of the pickup winder or the name of a top secret pickup?

The hb pair were wound by a friend of the guy that did the initial repair work, and meant to sound like DB. They turned out to sound great, very wooly and not potted so - turn the amp up and look out :D. Seller told me his buddy no longer winds pickups, unfortunately. Didn't get the guy's name or anything.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive feedback. The Dog has been my experiment to see what the bottom rung of the CU24 market looked and felt like. So far, so good! Fight, I hear what you're saying about that crack getting worse. Maybe I should have mentioned that as I was installing the trem, the first bridge screw for that hole resulted in a broken head and me getting out the vise grips....

But so far, so good. Refinish of the back (currently all mucked up by sloppy removal of epoxy) will reveal how deep the cracks go. And if all else fails, PTC is only 80 miles away :)

hey Garrett, thanks for clarifying. For the record, there is no 10 on the back of the headstock. Other than the thin cracks that run the entire length of the top, the deep cracks partially filled with uh... driveway sealer?, and the half dollar sized chunk around the toggle hole that was replaced (and very well done, imho, considering that there was a huge hole there), and... where was I going with this?

Oh yeah, top still looks great at 10 feet considering it's not a 10 and was run over by a car :D

a possible 10 an eight with a hot sister? Nice work. A great project guitar.

Back