...and just like this Ima PRS guy

Simon Says

The Owl guy
So I sold my last Fender and some pedals in panic to fund this.

It's 1999 Standard 24. The tag states Custom with S/N matching the one on the reverse of the headstock. The guy I bought it for said it's a custom order. I don't know enough about PRS to say this but I never seen Standard with mahagony figured top, birds and 3 way toggle that apears to be factory fitted in. I would love some input from seasoned PRS gurus here, please.

All things aside I love everything about this guitar. Being 21 years apart with my 35th Anniversary Custom 24 it holds well with the resonance and how it feels. This thing is super clean too. It has couple of minor dings but it was well looked after.

I believe I'm the 3rd owner. Young lad I bought it from said that this guitar was a part of stock of guitar gear offloaded by a family of a gentleman who is now in a nursing home. Well I hope he is doing alright and not feeling absolutely heart broken loosing this looker - looking on the state of this guitar I can tell he loved this thing.

Awesome! Standards rock, hard. The burning question is……what’s next? :p

I want HB for so long man... could do with right Korina McCarty too - either with humbackers or P90

But for now I think I will do some work with this guitar first. Jury is still out there as I own it less than 24 hours but I don't think I will bound with HFS/VB as I though I will. I was thinking to give it a set of 59/09's. I will enjoy / learn it for a bit longer before I do any moves.

I already assigned this Standard to Drop D duties. Managed to do a proper set up with new set of 11-54 (Daddario balanced 11-50 with .054 in drop tuning). It feels great, just the pickups are way to bassy for my liking

Last edited:
I want HB for so long man... could do with right Korina McCarty too - either with humbackers or P90

But for now I think I will do some work with this guitar first. Jury is still out there as I own it less than 24 hours but I don't think I will bound with HFS/VB as I though I will. I was thinking to give it a set of 59/09's. I will enjoy / learn it for a bit longer before I do any moves.

I already assigned this Standard to Drop D duties. Managed to do a proper set up with new set of 11-56 (Daddario balanced 11-50 with .056 in drop tuning). It feels great, just the pickups are way to bassy for my liking

get yourself a set of Dragon 1’s or \m/ pickups for that tuning.

get yourself a set of Dragon 1’s or \m/ pickups for that tuning.

I was thinking Tremonti bridge and 59/09 neck but hot pickups don't really work the way I like with my rig. I think I will stick to 59/09 if I go ahead with pickup swap.

I still had no opportunity to give this guitar a proper justice. I'm working this weekend trough to mid week and coming home totally shattered. Once I get some milage I will start considering options

I was thinking Tremonti bridge and 59/09 neck but hot pickups don't really work the way I like with my rig. I think I will stick to 59/09 if I go ahead with pickup swap.

I still had no opportunity to give this guitar a proper justice. I'm working this weekend trough to mid week and coming home totally shattered. Once I get some milage I will start considering options

Fair enough. I have a Dragon 1 neck with HFS in my ‘91 Standard and a Dragon 1 set in my ‘06 Standard 22. I also have a set of \m/ in my Swamp Ash Special (not the same but similar-ish). Thinking about putting my covered 59/09’s in the Standard 22 when I do some changes to it soon.

Fair enough. I have a Dragon 1 neck with HFS in my ‘91 Standard and a Dragon 1 set in my ‘06 Standard 22. I also have a set of \m/ in my Swamp Ash Special (not the same but similar-ish). Thinking about putting my covered 59/09’s in the Standard 22 when I do some changes to it soon.

Sound's great man. I like vintage voiced pickups with my low gain amp boosted to nuke with EP booster and EQ-200 pre and post. I can go heavier with this than it may appear to. I have tried higher gain pickups but clarity was gone and the frequency spectrum got squashed.

So I sold my last Fender and some pedals in panic to fund this.

It's 1999 Standard 24. The tag states Custom with S/N matching the one on the reverse of the headstock. The guy I bought it for said it's a custom order. I don't know enough about PRS to say this but I never seen Standard with mahagony figured top, birds and 3 way toggle that apears to be factory fitted in. I would love some input from seasoned PRS gurus here, please.

All things aside I love everything about this guitar. Being 21 years apart with my 35th Anniversary Custom 24 it holds well with the resonance and how it feels. This thing is super clean too. It has couple of minor dings but it was well looked after.

I believe I'm the 3rd owner. Young lad I bought it from said that this guitar was a part of stock of guitar gear offloaded by a family of a gentleman who is now in a nursing home. Well I hope he is doing alright and not feeling absolutely heart broken loosing this looker - looking on the state of this guitar I can tell he loved this thing.

Nice score!

All those features were factory options back in the day. There used to be a wider choice of a la carte specs that dealers could order.

Back