Anchors vs Feathers

Since I got my herniated disc and sciatica, 8lbs seems to be the limit. Sold some guitars I love because they weighed over 9lbs. I don’t play seated due to the back issues, so standing for me. My avatar build was specifically designed with light weight woods to keep it under 8lbs - not easy to do with the thicker P245 body and solid Braz neck! But they did it and it feels wonderful and sounds spectacular. No fatigue after playing it even for a few hours straight.

I used to think heavier guitars sounded more full, especially on the drive channel. I’ve since learned the error of my ways!

Since I got my herniated disc and sciatica, 8lbs seems to be the limit. Sold some guitars I love because they weighed over 9lbs. I don’t play seated due to the back issues, so standing for me. My avatar build was specifically designed with light weight woods to keep it under 8lbs - not easy to do with the thicker P245 body and solid Braz neck! But they did it and it feels wonderful and sounds spectacular. No fatigue after playing it even for a few hours straight.

I used to think heavier guitars sounded more full, especially on the drive channel. I’ve since learned the error of my ways!

Talking Braz necks, I was so lucky. I have an ME1 w braz neck of course and it's weight is very unusual. Comes in at 7.2 lb. Love it!

Talking Braz necks, I was so lucky. I have an ME1 w braz neck of course and it's weight is very unusual. Comes in at 7.2 lb. Love it!
Love ME I - the ME I SCT I got from 11top comes in at 8lbs, 3oz with 59/09s. :D

Guitar players. :rolleyes:

Try 3 hours with a 25 pound accordion.

Uh uh no...;)

Really? Hmm, makes sense...I never thought about it. I have a newfound respect for Weird Al now. :eek:

I did see one last year at a high end music store that has a rather "snobby" reputation. My luthier buddy stopped by to pick up a violin for a repair. I nearly fell out! :eek: I remember thinking to myself...holy hell man! That thing must be a PS in the world of accordians.

Uh uh no...;)

Really? Hmm, makes sense...I never thought about it. I have a newfound respect for Weird Al now. :eek:

I did see one last year at a high end music store that has a rather "snobby" reputation. My luthier buddy stopped by to pick up a violin for a repair. I nearly fell out! :eek: I remember thinking to myself...holy hell man! That thing must be a PS in the world of accordians.

A good accordion is about the price of a PS. A great one is more. Lots of little wooden and metal parts that operate mechanically, and much of making one is a hand operation, all the reeds are tuned by hand, etc. But they make cheap electronic ones now that (to me) aren’t very good.

I played accordion as a boy, and hadn’t in a long time until a client asked me to create a Cajun track for an ad. It was a long session, and man, I was tired after it was completed! 25 pounds and your arms are working the bellows with your hands playing the keys at the same time. I’d forgotten how much energy that takes!

I could see that. I didn't have a clue (still don't) about how they work. I assumed they were expensive. If for no other reason than all the moving parts and what must be a ton hand work. I don't think I mentioned...This one was was 17K! Makes sense, "expensive" is a very relative term whit anything really, especially when you talking about musical instruments.

I thougt my parents hated me when I was forced to take piano lessons as a kid. I really "clashed" with my teacher at a cellular level, I used to wish her dead at every lesson. So, when her head was turned one afternoon, I broke bad on the old bag of moth balls. I made myself projectile vomit...all over her piano...yep, the keys, the pedals and of course the top was open so I got the inside too, my trajectory was on point.

That promptly derailed my career as a concert pianist and the Piano Nazis lessons;) . I'm not proud of it...but yeah, I did that. However, the joke was on me...try learning music theory at 50! Still soo worth it.:p

I sometimes feel like she is still scolding me, especially when I hit a clunker. I suppose that's my own self-made slice of hell for being such a$$hole kid.
Well played Ms.Morrison. R.I.P. ya old bat! :mad:

If y'all can stomach another non-PRS, there is one that really turned me around as to how good light guitar can sound. Lightweight and chambered korina. A grand total of 5 pounds, 11 ounces.

My lightest, non-chambered, solid body is just a hair over 6lbs (6.04).
We snuck into the vault just before it closed at Experience 2010 and Tina let us spec out one last guitar.
CK_193SpaltBodyDarkAAA.JPG

Back