Anchors vs Feathers

Rockmark

How important is the weight to you of your guitars if at all? As the decades unfold I seem to really prefer lighter guitars as long as I can get my right tone and voice out of them. I played 4 hours last night on a 7lb sc and wouldn't even know it today. I played a Les Paul 9.5 pounder for 3 hours straight last week, it sounded great and ballsy however I felt it in my back still 2 days later. At 20 or 30 yrs old, it could be a 12 lb but now give me 7 -8 and I am more than ergonomically suited. Do you have a preference and weight you steer to when you get a new guitar? Or is it whatever it weighs, and you like it, the poundage just comes w the territory?

Last edited:
Weight doesn't concern me. I mean, a lighter guitar can be nice - as long as it sounds good. A heavy guitar can be okay - as long as it sounds good. I recently had to stop gigging because of my seizure disorder, but I always did originals, so the sets were never more than an hour. I would have more agony loading and unloading in a hurry than from playing the guitar onstage. Now that I am only doing sessions, it's really a non-issue. I cradle the guitar between my knees when I am sitting and recording.

I have a ce22 that is heavy compared to my other guitars. It's heavier than my Mccarty. I can't say which l prefer tone wise but at 53 I feel it in my back after a long night gigging. I haven't gigged since last November but I'm really feeling a lot of joint pain and it worries me a bunch.

I've been on meds for it but I'm going to try something different next week.

Had a 10.3 Lb. LP (H150) and had to get rid of it. Couldn't play it more than half an hour. Got a 9.3 Lb. H150 and I'm happy with it. Still can't play it all night, but I switch off after a couple songs and it is great. For me anything under 8 and over 6 is a sweet spot.

I prefer to stay under 8lbs. I still love my 1991 LP standard, but I can't keep it on for more than a few songs without regretting it. My old Ibanez doubleneck is strictly 1-2 songs and done - that thing kills me!

Well, I didn't name my CR
the "Fat Kid" for nothing...
Just like it's namesake, it's a bit on the chunky side. Sorry Chris...nothin but love my brother. This beast weighs 9.8 lbs. I was so stoked to get last year, I honestly didn't care.

I play seated with it cradled between my knees, mainly because of the damage in my shoulder, that's the most comfortable and causes the least amount of pain when I play. I played standing a few days ago for just under 2 hours....and it's still kickin my a$$!

But maaaan! That tone! It is sooo good! So, yeah to me, the pain is definitely worth the gain.

Preach. I quit therapy and decided to live with the pain.

Twinsies...I did the PT (pain & torture) thing, for almost a year. I'm sure it helped I a little. I mean, I am able to walk, so there's that...but I gotta tell ya...committing myself to practicing several hours a day, everyday, without exception...has been the great therapy both mentally and physically. I really believe had I not picked up a guitar it could have gotten super sketchy ...I was slowly but surely spiraling into a deep funk. As cheesey as it souds. It kinda saved me from my self so to speak. If it gets really bad after I play for a bit..I just break my practice down to 10-15 minutes at a time. I also change guitars, just to play from different angles and positions. That really has been to be helping...a lot.

Seeing that my "stage" is now the couch or lanai when playing, weight matters little to me any more. Almost all of mine are around 7.5 or 8 lbs dependent on mark, I don't have a Les Paul so it matters little to me at this juncture. If I was playing regularly again, I'm sure I would have a different take on it.

Back