An ode to the 513. Blind testing against some big names

Utkarsh

Ministry of guitar
So fine folks of the PRS forum, here’s a video I have been meaning to make for a long, long time

As much as I love the 594, I am a big big fan of the 513 and I genuinely think it's the best guitar most people haven’t heard of. For me, it beats all the big daddies at their own game.

So I blind tested the 513 against the LP, Strat, ES, Tele not to mention an EMG loaded Schecter.

Featuring primarily my 2005 513 Rosewood and briefly 2008 513 (my 2006 Rosewood was sleeping in its case), hope you enjoy it

The first time I saw a 513 was when the house guitarist for American Idol was using one, and I was impressed at how easily he was covering all the varied music on the show without changing guitars. I got one and totally loved it, especially the versatility. It was a grey black, and you can see a bit of in my avatar photo, which was a fun show opening for The Beach Boys in Galveston. As guitarists do, I got enamored with another guitar, and sold the 513. I couldn’t replicate what the 513 did, so I got another one. A few years later, I got unfaithful again, and went to another guitar. Before too long, back to the 513, this time a 2007 Brazilian. Game over. I’ve since acquired another 2007 Brazilian, and they are #1 and #2 in my arsenal. Even with two great 594s in the stable these days, the 513s still rule the roost.

To my fingers and ears it is, hands down, Paul’s greatest guitar. A plain shame it is no longer available. If I can ever afford a PS, you may rest assured, it will be based on the 513 Brazilian, even if I have to buy a used one to part out for the controls. It is the best of the best.

I remember when the 513 came out. At that time, I only had my CU24 in the PRS line. The talk around the 513 had me intrigued, so I went out to try one. The BRW neck blew me away, as did the versatility. I went from ‘just trying’ to ‘buying’ in fairly short order. It wasn’t more than five minutes from the store when I got hit with a huge wave of buyer’s remorse. Fortunately it only lasted until I got home and played it again.

Great job. I just got a 509 (NGD post coming) which is very similar I understand.

Nice!

I do miss my maple necked 513 with its heavy humbucker switch.

I only got rid of it because it was the heaviest of ALL of my guitars.

One day I will find a lightweight one.

They seem to run about 8 lbs. As a fans of Les Pauls, 8 lbs sounds featherweight to me.

I had a powder blue swamp ash body, maple neck, that was bada$$. It moved along. The swamp ash, maple neck, maple board 509 was its replacement. Love it! I do miss the heavy setting, to be honest.
Love the heavy option. I normally use the clean humbucking and move to single/heavy as the need arises. I think of the clear humbucking/heavy humbucking options as 70s Santana/90s Santana. :) Instant “Smooth” lead tone!

The first time I saw a 513 was when the house guitarist for American Idol was using one, and I was impressed at how easily he was covering all the varied music on the show without changing guitars. I got one and totally loved it, especially the versatility. It was a grey black, and you can see a bit of in my avatar photo, which was a fun show opening for The Beach Boys in Galveston. As guitarists do, I got enamored with another guitar, and sold the 513. I couldn’t replicate what the 513 did, so I got another one. A few years later, I got unfaithful again, and went to another guitar. Before too long, back to the 513, this time a 2007 Brazilian. Game over. I’ve since acquired another 2007 Brazilian, and they are #1 and #2 in my arsenal. Even with two great 594s in the stable these days, the 513s still rule the roost.

To my fingers and ears it is, hands down, Paul’s greatest guitar. A plain shame it is no longer available. If I can ever afford a PS, you may rest assured, it will be based on the 513 Brazilian, even if I have to buy a used one to part out for the controls. It is the best of the best.

I gave this some thought and I wholeheartedly agree that the 513 is Paul's greatest guitar. I do love the 594 because of my Les Paul proclivities but ultimately it is a (vast) improvement of an existing formula.
The 513 on the other hand is an original

Some of you may not know this but I had consciously made a choice to stop buying/selling guitars and had succeeded for about 6 months. Then the Blue Matteo 513 popped up in the local classifieds at a crazy price I had always been curious about the model but knew nothing.
The moment I went and played that guitar though (being sold by an older gentleman for whom the guitar was too heavy now), I fell in love instantly.

The next few months was a frenzy looking for the 513 rosewood and in the process, I bought 3 more 513s, two rosewoods and a faded whale blue 2017.

The other guitarist in my band played the 513 and loved it too, and accused me of hoarding all the 513s. So I sold him my 'least' favourite 513 , the 2017 (all relative).

He's not a guitar hoarder like me so he only has 3 guitars but since that day two years ago, he hasnt even touched his strat and ESP horizon. Also sold his Gibson explorer.

So yes, verbose post aside, the 513 is a crowning achievement.

8 lbs would be great... my 513 was a touch over 9 lbs, and that was heavier than all 3 of my LPs. So my 513 had to go bye bye.

I miss the tones.

But not the weight.
I find that my regular 513 is definitely heavy for a PRS (that's why a Les Paul guy like me felt straight at home). However my two rosewoods are super light; the same weight as my custom 22, which I am guessing is less than 8 pounds

I find that my regular 513 is definitely heavy for a PRS (that's why a Les Paul guy like me felt straight at home). However my two rosewoods are super light; the same weight as my custom 22, which I am guessing is less than 8 pounds

Less than 8 lbs would be awesome!

Mine was an employee guitar (I acquired it used) so I think some of the ‘custom’ things on it added weight to it. It definitely wasn’t a normal stock 513. I never tried another one after I sold that one so I don’t know if most stock ones were lighter weight. Hopefully, one day, I will get to try another one.

What's not to love?

7VqRDpY.jpg

3e4nj6u.jpg

My Nr.1 for quite some time!

Nicely done video! Much needed comparison video. Definitely one of the most versatile guitars, I hope one day you can get a Modern Eagle V they really are amazing. I believe the 513 may be better with heavy metal tones but need a shoot out to check that out. Unfortunately I don’t have a 513 anymore probably won’t replace it because I’m really into the MEV. Cheers

Back