An Odd Question

thieves&foxes

There is a Singlecut Hollowbody II (my dream guitar) that is available to me at a good price. So ere's an odd question how loud is it acoustically?

I know about the piezo through a PA or amp, which I will use alot, (as well as the electric side), but I will need to sell my acoustic in order to make this deal happen.

I play some small venues (read living rooms) acoustically, and over venues plugged in. Will the hollowbody be loud enough acoustically for this (not too worried about tone acoustically, i know it will sound amazing plugged in) until i get another acoustic in a few months time? :confused:

Last edited:
I have a doublecut HBII, and I would say that it is not loud enough without amplification...maybe if it's a small living room and everything else is very quiet.

I sold my acoustic (Taylor 314CE) to help fund/justify my HBII purchase, and ended up regretting not having it. It boomeranged right back into my basement in a matter of days.

That's my story; yours may vary :)

Although it's louder than a solid body by quite a margin, a 'real' acoustic guitar is louder than the HB guitars by quite another margin again. I don't think it would be suitable for gigging without an amp.

I have a doublecut HBII, and I would say that it is not loud enough without amplification...maybe if it's a small living room and everything else is very quiet.

I sold my acoustic (Taylor 314CE) to help fund/justify my HBII purchase, and ended up regretting not having it. It boomeranged right back into my basement in a matter of days.

That's my story; yours may vary :)

I can't agree more. The HB's just don't have the body depth of a real acoustic. So you will not get the voice of an acoustic when up plugged. Touch choice!!!!!

Fade up from black.

"On the other hand, if it's your dream guitar, I think you should get it," The Enabler posited.

"Don't tell him that, he might have a significant need for a real acoustic," said The Enabler's Conscience.

The Enabler asked the Conscience, "What do you know? Have you ever lusted after a guitar?"

"Not since your brother gave you his 1965 SG Special," the Conscience responded. "You didn't really need a guitar after that. It worked just fine and sounded like an electric guitar."

"But that was in 1967. I've learned a lot since then."

"Doesn't show up in your playing," said the Conscience. "As far as I'm concerned, you sound the exact same and have made very little progress in 47 years. You should play piano and leave the guitar playing to people with the talent for it."

[SFX] Punch.

"Ow."

[SFX] Counterpunch.

"Oohhff!"

[SFX] Body falling to floor. Second body hitting floor. Wrestling noises. Punches. Blood spattering noises. Grunts. Sounds of bones breaking. Silence punctuated by painful moans.

Fade to black.

Commentator:

"So ends another instruction video in the series, How To Enable Your Friends' Guitar Purchases And Ease Your Guilty Conscience. Please join us for our new video series, Sneaking New Equipment Into Your Home. Until then, see you, and happy guitar shopping!"

Roll credits.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, but I think i just may have a solution. A mate of mine has a beat up acoustic that he will sell me for super super cheap (almost giving it to me) that'll be a sufficient solution for a few months, so once I sell my current one, it's gonna be a NGD... hells yeah!

Fade up from black.

"On the other hand, if it's your dream guitar, I think you should get it," The Enabler posited.

"Don't tell him that, he might have a significant need for a real acoustic," said The Enabler's Conscience.

The Enabler asked the Conscience, "What do you know? Have you ever lusted after a guitar?"

"Not since your brother gave you his 1965 SG Special," the Conscience responded. "You didn't really need a guitar after that. It worked just fine and sounded like an electric guitar."

"But that was in 1967. I've learned a lot since then."

"Doesn't show up in your playing," said the Conscience. "As far as I'm concerned, you sound the exact same and have made very little progress in 47 years. You should play piano and leave the guitar playing to people with the talent for it."

[SFX] Punch.

"Ow."

[SFX] Counterpunch.

"Oohhff!"

[SFX] Body falling to floor. Second body hitting floor. Wrestling noises. Punches. Blood spattering noises. Grunts. Sounds of bones breaking. Silence punctuated by painful moans.

Fade to black.

Commentator:

"So ends another instruction video in the series, How To Enable Your Friends' Guitar Purchases And Ease Your Guilty Conscience. Please join us for our new video series, Sneaking New Equipment Into Your Home. Until then, see you, and happy guitar shopping!"

Roll credits.

That made me laugh, thank you!

Commentator:

So ends another instruction video in the series, 'Sneaking New Equipment Into Your Home.'
Can't wait for this series! Maybe they'll have some expert guest commentators (like me, for example!) sharing their long held secrets in this very important area.

Last edited:
I've got a Roland Micro Cube amp, 2 Watt, 5" speaker, can run on batteries as well as AC adapter. At around €99, consider buying this little puppy for your future almost-acoustic sessions. It's got controls for tone, effects, delay/reverb, and even got an Acoustic sound setting that suits my Angelus really well. Extremely portable and versatile, it probably covers your period without true acoustic, and beyond. Check the online reviews, mebby this is of use for you...

Back