An Awesome Modeler Would Be...

The reseller actually did well by me, cross shipped me a new pedal right away.

It was my mistake I guess thinking the manufacturer would want to take care of people using their gear. I guess every company is different.
But that’s exactly how the system of retail distribution is supposed to work. Strymon should never had been contacted for a problem that wasn’t necessarily their responsibility. This was all on the reseller. Sorry you had a problem.

Nah.

It’s just a light-hearted discussion about stuff we’re all interested in. The Wall Street Journal just reported on a medical study that says people who engage in intellectual activity of all kinds are less likely to get Alzheimer’s.

Debate is good for the brain!
And I thought you were totally pushing my buttons before! Now you’re REALLY REALLY pushing them! :)

For the “more to it” see my answer, above.

The project I’m working on right now is all electric guitar, solo. No bass, no drums, no keys. You just never know what’s going to come in the door.

Gee, what should I use, second-best, or what I think is best? This is a trick question because the clients already love the tone I got. You can argue back and forth over this stuff. Results tell me all I need to know.

I’ll get paid.

Thank freakin’ goodness! ;)

This sounds very "we have a pond in the back. We have a pool, and a pond. Pond would be good for you." If you catch my drift... ;)

Edit: Better with visuals...

There was an interesting video about Pete Thorn's new PT15 amp with Henning Pauly (HP42) today that touched on the Helix. Pete uses the HX Effects himself these days but used to use the Helix as a Pedal board and run it 4-cable into his PT100.

Both were full of praise for Helix in that its designed to work with you and your existing gear. Its not designed to replace 'everything' and its up to the user to decide what aspects of the Helix they want to use and when too. If you want to use a valve amp you can, if you want to plug in some of your own pedals, you can. Its a 'tool' for musicians and can be used in any situation and for any 'aspect' of your rig. It may not be the 'best' solution for a certain musician in a controlled studio where as for another, it is. For someone, taking a Helix on tour or for a quick fly-date is the best option where as for another, it isn't.

Its more about what is the best tool for the musician and that will vary from one to the next. Budget too plays a part so you cannot say 'Valve' is best in every situation and budget because it may not be the best for everyone. What is great though is that technology is improving to the point that it can be incredibly difficult to tell whether the sound we hear is coming through a modeller, a Solid State Amp or a Valve amp. Its great that we ave a choice that can deliver the results we want and whilst it maybe a 'compromise' to take a Helix on a Fly date for some people, its a very small compromise for the massive advantages it offers that player. Again that will vary from person to person. Mark Holcombe doesn't use any Amps/Pedals - just an Axe-FX and a Mac book to handle all the switching.

Its all about having the right tool for the musician and what's right for one in one situation will not be right for another. That also goes for the best Modelling option too which again will depend on the musician and their needs/budget. There is no way I could afford or have space for the countless Amps, Cabs, Mics and Effects that a Helix offers for example and if I wanted to use my JVM410c at home without annoying my neighbours, record direct to my PC etc, I would have to spend more money than a Helix costs - its not the 'best tool' for my current situation but it was the best when Pub Gigging when the built in Speakers were the only sound I and the audience would hear. If I were to gig again, it may well be the best tool for me but for home use in my apartment, its not.

I think its great that we have technology working to give us tools to use that are versatile enough to use in multiple ways and situations that give us musicians a viable option. A valve amp isn't always the best option in every situation (again depending on the musician of course) so its great that there are better options available without compromising (too much) on the tone - maybe even improving the sound (or at least the consistency of it from venue to venue). I wouldn't dismiss modelling, profiling or Solid State just because they are not valve but opt for the right tool for the circumstance I need.

He uses lots of things. This is his Friedman tour rig build:

No doubt he has a Pedal board for what ever he needs at the time BUT I was referring to his comments in this video...

At around the 16min mark, he talks about using the HX effects on his pedal board for his current clinic tour because of how it works with his PT15 and also talks about using a standard Helix with his PT100 on a clinic tour a few years ago running it 4 cable method. He also says that he also has a helix Pedal board set-up with several pedals connected in the loops and full of praise for Helix.

Again though, this also proves the point I was trying to make though that devices like Helix are a great tool for musicians to use in any capacity and situation that suits them best. On his clinic tour promoting the PT15, he chooses to have a HX effects on his pedal board, a few years ago, it was a Helix floor with his PT100 on a clinic tour. Its about using the right tool for him at the time and that Helix obviously has been the right tool for him for certain things. The fact that he feels its good enough to be the tool he wants/needs at any time shows that its good enough for a professional working musician. It may not be a permanent addition on his pedal board for every situation but it doesn't need to be. It maybe only used on Clinic tours as the 'best' tool for that use for him and for another, they may find its the best tool in a different situation - of course there are some who may have other tools and don't want/need something like a Helix at all but all I was saying is that its about using the best tool for job and that will vary from person to person and devices like Helix are now good enough for professional working musicians.

I know its not the best tool for you or your needs/situations but that doesn't mean they are bad, sound bad etc.

No doubt he has a Pedal board for what ever he needs at the time BUT I was referring to his comments in this video...

At around the 16min mark, he talks about using the HX effects on his pedal board for his current clinic tour because of how it works with his PT15 and also talks about using a standard Helix with his PT100 on a clinic tour a few years ago running it 4 cable method. He also says that he also has a helix Pedal board set-up with several pedals connected in the loops and full of praise for Helix.

Again though, this also proves the point I was trying to make though that devices like Helix are a great tool for musicians to use in any capacity and situation that suits them best. On his clinic tour promoting the PT15, he chooses to have a HX effects on his pedal board, a few years ago, it was a Helix floor with his PT100 on a clinic tour. Its about using the right tool for him at the time and that Helix obviously has been the right tool for him for certain things. The fact that he feels its good enough to be the tool he wants/needs at any time shows that its good enough for a professional working musician. It may not be a permanent addition on his pedal board for every situation but it doesn't need to be. It maybe only used on Clinic tours as the 'best' tool for that use for him and for another, they may find its the best tool in a different situation - of course there are some who may have other tools and don't want/need something like a Helix at all but all I was saying is that its about using the best tool for job and that will vary from person to person and devices like Helix are now good enough for professional working musicians.

I know its not the best tool for you or your needs/situations but that doesn't mean they are bad, sound bad etc.

I don’t think the Helix, Kemper or Axe FX sound bad. There’s a difference between ‘doesn’t quite sound like a tube amp’ and bad. The Strymon sounds bad. To me. You be the judge for you.

I use modelers a ton. They’re great at helping me quickly work out ideas for parts when it’s not practical for me to turn an amp up to 11, or when I haven’t got the perfect amp on hand at the moment (sometimes it’s necessary to rent or borrow the right amp).

I take the second step of doing final versions with real amps.

Back