An Awesome Modeler Would Be...

Funny video, but so little knowledge of the capabilities of analog recording’s accuracy.

Put it this way, a Neve preamp from the 80s had a frequency response that was flat from about 5Hz to about 100,000 Hz. A Studer tape machine from that era was flat to about 30,000 Hz. No commercially available A/D or DA converter today can do either thing. And the distortion was vanishingly low back then, too.

While a good mic is only flat to about 17-18 kHz, there’s still some energy above the range of hearing that affects what we hear; among others, Rupert Neve proved that, and designed his gear to take advantage of it.

The job of a digital converter, on the other hand, is to chop a smooth analog signal into tiny steps and extrapolate the sine wave parts that are missing. This leads to digital “sound”, which today is very nice, if perhaps imperfect.

People whose only exposure to analog recording was something like a 4 track cassette deck have no idea how capable of extremely high fidelity the pro-level analog gear was in its heyday. I know, however, because I used it.

If you record a modeler, you’re still mixing and processing a recorded amp the same way, even if direct recording digitally. The ear hasn’t changed, a guitar’s low end still has to be cut to make room for bass and kick, etc.

But with a model, you’re stuck with the limitations of digital. Record a digital amp, and you’re getting a recording of a recording. The slew rate, rise time, damping factor, and on and on are different from the original amps.

This isn’t to say digital is bad; it isn’t. It’s just fine. But the results are different. Different is neither bad nor good. It’s merely different.

It would be much better for folks to simply acknowledge the differences and not claim that the result is identical.

You can have a great digital model of an amp. It can’t sound better than the original amp, of course; with current technology, it won’t be 100% accurate. But maybe that doesn’t matter.

What should matter is whether you find it a good tool.

As a tube amp kinda guy, I’m getting 100% the amp tone I want. So when I’m recording, I’m starting from 100%, not 90%. This is why I do things that way.

No one else has to, and digital models are a WAY easier way to schlep gear and have craploads of choices.

I like to kid around about modeling, but if I played out a lot and had to drag around my own gear, I’m way too old to move, say, a 100 pound combo amp like a Lone Star around!

Last edited:
Funny video, but so little knowledge of the capabilities of analog recording’s accuracy.

Put it this way, a Neve preamp from the 80s had a frequency response that was flat from about 5Hz to about 100,000 Hz. A Studer tape machine from that era was flat to about 30,000 Hz. No commercially available A/D or DA converter today can do either thing. And the distortion was vanishingly low back then, too.

While a good mic is only flat to about 17-18 kHz, there’s still some energy above the range of hearing that affects what we hear; among others, Rupert Neve proved that, and designed his gear to take advantage of it.

The job of a digital converter, on the other hand, is to chop a smooth analog signal into tiny steps and extrapolate the sine wave parts that are missing. This leads to digital “sound”, which today is very nice, if perhaps imperfect.

People whose only exposure to analog recording was something like a 4 track cassette deck have no idea how capable of extremely high fidelity the pro-level analog gear was in its heyday. I know, however, because I used it.

If you record a modeler, you’re still mixing and processing a recorded amp the same way, even if direct recording digitally. The ear hasn’t changed, a guitar’s low end still has to be cut to make room for bass and kick, etc.

But with a model, you’re stuck with the limitations of digital. Record a digital amp, and you’re getting a recording of a recording. The slew rate, rise time, damping factor, and on and on are different from the original amps.

This isn’t to say digital is bad; it isn’t. It’s just fine. But the results are different. Different is neither bad nor good. It’s merely different.

It would be much better for folks to simply acknowledge the differences and not claim that the result is identical.

You can have a great digital model of an amp. It can’t sound better than the original amp, of course; with current technology, it won’t be 100% accurate. But maybe that doesn’t matter.

What should matter is whether you find it a good tool.

As a tube amp kinda guy, I’m getting 100% the amp tone I want. So when I’m recording, I’m starting from 100%, not 90%. This is why I do things that way.

No one else has to, and digital models are a WAY easier way to schlep gear and have craploads of choices.

I like to kid around about modeling, but if I played out a lot and had to drag around my own gear, I’m way too old to move, say, a 100 pound combo amp like a Lone Star around!
I just ordered a Kemper Profiler Stage...….

Back