An Awesome Modeler Would Be...

I have thought about this and really can't think of what an 'Awesome' modeller would be. I think it can vary depending on what you as a musician need, where it can be utilised the most effectively for you, what genre/style of music you play and even what in your signal path are you looking to model/replace.

Take a Helix Floor as an example. It can be your Pedal Board, your Amp, Cab and Mic - a complete fly rig if you are jumping from one gig to the next or maybe just a tool for your home set-up and recording - going straight into your DAW. It can also be used with Valve amps as a Pedal board with loops to add in independent Pedals that you prefer over the Helix options.

In all honesty, I think an Awesome Modeller would be something like a Helix floor and its versatility to be your entire rig - replace your Pedal Board, Amp, Cab and Mic that go go straight to a PA, to a DAW, or Speaker Cab that can 'emulate' exactly the cab, speaker types etc. Ideally, I would also expect the Modeller to be flexible enough to add any pedal, any Amp etc so if you prefer a Strymon Volante pedal and nothing comes close enough, you can add that to the modeller. A universal OS so Pedal/Amp/Cab manufacturers can sell a 'digital' version of their product. Its similar to buying Albums on CD or a 'digital' copy on iTunes. Instead of needing a LOT of space for hundreds of Pedals, Amps, Cabs etc, you have a digital library of them to use. Literally have your entire studio in a Floor unit and just need a guitar and the relevant cables. You could even demo pedals, amps etc from the comfort of your home and how the sound in your rig with your guitar before you buy instead of going to a stockist and trying one in their shop with their gear.

I think of the Kemper as more of an Amp/Cab replacement that can do FX too. I don't think of it as a Pedal board option - even with the new Stage coming. Things like the Helix, GT1000 and Headrush I think are more a pedal board unit than can do some Amp/Cab modelling. I don't think people buying a Kemper would be buying it to integrate with their Amps as a Multi-FX unit where as I can see people buying the Helix and others could well be buying them as a Multi-FX pedal board and use it with their favourite Amps - either straight in to the front or 4 cable method.

I know there is some cross-over as they all offer FX and Amp/Cab modelling but I have not heard of people buying a Kemper to run as an FX unit with their traditional Amps.

The funny thing about me is that even if they made the “awesome modeler” I described, I probably wouldn’t buy it, because I don’t need it!!

Haha!

But heck, we’ve got a nice discussion going, so why not use the imagination?

The new Stage model that came out 2 days ago is way cheaper too. $1700 I think.
Seeing that Kemper Stage totally pushed me more towards the Kemper side. I liked the look of the steampunk lunchbox model, but If I can go with a floorboard with the same thing? I'm used the the big box on the floor because I've used the Line 6 M13 for a long time and now the buttons are dying. I'll fix it someday...And hey it's all models! Probably the most fun I've had with a piece of gear ever. So many cool effects.

...2. If you’re going to have modeling, why not have component modeling - granted it’s a bit more difficult, but it’s been done before. A computer software program does it, and I think that was a Peavey product (correct me if I’m wrong) called Revalver. So my thinking is, let the model load in different component models, such as a higher capacity transformer, or give the choice between a model of, say, the transformers in a Tweed amp, or a Blackface amp, or a Marshall. You get the picture. Let the model select different tube types, transformers, caps, tone stacks, tone stack bypasses, and even different tube brands.

This way the model can do things that a typical tube amp simply can’t do: namely, let the owner try different bits and pieces to create a custom amp that never existed before!

I’m sure you have ideas of your own. I’m just thinking out loud about this. It’s not impossible, and it really would be a best-of-both-worlds situation.

Les,

You're likely a better person to know what technology has been produced in the past, but let me toss these ideas into the pot...

Some years ago, Laney Amplification begins making pre-amp modules for their amps, so that their amps could come close to sounding like more tried and true big-name amps (the Fender/Marshall/Vox, additionally: Mesa, Bogner, etc.). These were mostly tube preamp based, with subtle tweaks in each modules circuitry so that a module-equipped Laney amp could be most anything you desired.

Fast-forward to modern day...Shawn Tubbs (YT) recently did a series on preamp modules that a company built using the Laney premise.

Here is what I personally might like to see regards a modeling amp...

Perhaps an enterprising company could design and build a preamp section based on either existing modeling technology (Kemper, Axe-FX, etc...) with a power tube complement of your choice (6L6, EL34, EL84) and tailor the preamp section in their flagship design so as to be useable for whatever power tube section the amp has. The business could market their design so that each of the big name amp businesses would be covered. IF their design had outstanding tone and amp feel and vibe, they could stand to make silly money and become industry leaders.

Go ahead. Anyone who wishes may use this concept for their own advantage. It's likely been already brought to the table years ago and has not been implemented yet because of finalizing R&D and securing funding for the start-up project.

Les,

You're likely a better person to know what technology has been produced in the past, but let me toss these ideas into the pot...

Some years ago, Laney Amplification begins making pre-amp modules for their amps, so that their amps could come close to sounding like more tried and true big-name amps (the Fender/Marshall/Vox, additionally: Mesa, Bogner, etc.). These were mostly tube preamp based, with subtle tweaks in each modules circuitry so that a module-equipped Laney amp could be most anything you desired.

Fast-forward to modern day...Shawn Tubbs (YT) recently did a series on preamp modules that a company built using the Laney premise.

Here is what I personally might like to see regards a modeling amp...

Perhaps an enterprising company could design and build a preamp section based on either existing modeling technology (Kemper, Axe-FX, etc...) with a power tube complement of your choice (6L6, EL34, EL84) and tailor the preamp section in their flagship design so as to be useable for whatever power tube section the amp has. The business could market their design so that each of the big name amp businesses would be covered. IF their design had outstanding tone and amp feel and vibe, they could stand to make silly money and become industry leaders.

Go ahead. Anyone who wishes may use this concept for their own advantage. It's likely been already brought to the table years ago and has not been implemented yet because of finalizing R&D and securing funding for the start-up project.
Synergy was doing this concept very well over the last few years. I saw Andy Wood demo his signature module at NAMM (I’m standing directly next to this cameraman in this video) and was blown away. This is a mandolin player that dabbles in guitar...

Synergy was doing this concept very well over the last few years. I saw Andy Wood demo his signature module at NAMM (I’m standing directly next to this cameraman in this video) and was blown away. This is a mandolin player that dabbles in guitar...

I think that was what Shawn Tubbs was demoing on his YT channel that I spoke about in my post...thanks for the video clip...

Seeing that Kemper Stage totally pushed me more towards the Kemper side. I liked the look of the steampunk lunchbox model, but If I can go with a floorboard with the same thing? I'm used the the big box on the floor because I've used the Line 6 M13 for a long time and now the buttons are dying. I'll fix it someday...And hey it's all models! Probably the most fun I've had with a piece of gear ever. So many cool effects.
I like the fact that the Stage model is so much lighter than the combo of head and remote.

I’d love to see one of these floorboard units with a built in power amp. I mean, they’ve got those tiny bass heads with like, 500 watts and they’re the size of an old Nintendo.

Would be rad to be able to haul that, a 1x12 cab, and a guitar in a gig bag into a club, and still have an empty hand to open the door with.

I’d love to see one of these floorboard units with a built in power amp. I mean, they’ve got those tiny bass heads with like, 500 watts and they’re the size of an old Nintendo.

Would be rad to be able to haul that, a 1x12 cab, and a guitar in a gig bag into a club, and still have an empty hand to open the door with.
Yup, great application.
I have the powered XiTone MBritt 1x12 that works very well with open/closed back options. So yeah... that cab, the Stage with cables in another bag, and your guitar de jour on your back. Easy peasy.

Yup, great application.
I have the powered XiTone MBritt 1x12 that works very well with open/closed back options. So yeah... that cab, the Stage with cables in another bag, and your guitar de jour on your back. Easy peasy.

How heavy is the powered cab?

the powercab is also a good shout at a lower price point, well they are more of them about so can catch a deal on them which brings it down some more, which is what I did. Has a class D amplifier inside and 16kg. I have no experience of anything else related so warning on that, but I am very happy with it. I have the basic model which has 6 speaker voicings & whatever IR or speaker from modeller you want, but the plus model has 12 speakers built in now

+100. Something not huge size, but medium PedalTrain Novo18 sized, perhaps with a power engine similar to Seymour Duncan's PowerStation 200W.

Only thing that prevents me from using an effects board with the Seymour Duncan today is (sigh) my clean tube amp sounds better...:(..and no local retailer has access to the PowerStation to test drive...

Seymour Duncan has their pedalboard amp, that could work out: https://www.seymourduncan.com/power-amp/powerstage-170?__uuid_ref=5c916f848af0d

Back