Amyone elses #1 a simple S2?

Russ73

I have some nicer guitars including a Custom 22 but my go to guitar is a 2015 S2 Standard 22 all original...admittedly others might haver better pups but this guitar just plays so well, the rosewood board is soft and broken in and the strings bend like butter and the action is low with zero buzz...I wouldn't trade this thing for a 594! Really the best bang guitar in the entire line IMO....anyone else???

My S2 Mira is my go-to guitar! There really isn't anything it can't do, and it just feels right in my hands. I haven't connected with any other guitar as much as I have with this one.

I don't have a "#1" per se, but I have instruments I favor - and two of them are S2s. While I love my Core guitars, and play them often, they usually aren't the first guitars I grab.

Number One is the Vela:

The second is the S2 Singlecut Standard:

These two guitars just "do it" for me.

I have some nicer guitars including a Custom 22 but my go to guitar is a 2015 S2 Standard 22 all original...admittedly others might haver better pups but this guitar just plays so well, the rosewood board is soft and broken in and the strings bend like butter and the action is low with zero buzz...I wouldn't trade this thing for a 594! Really the best bang guitar in the entire line IMO....anyone else???

I did for a year or so, S2 Singlecut with a couple mods, but I did replace mine with a 594. :oops:

I also can’t say I have a #1, my guitars are very much task specific, but when it comes to the ones that are the best quality and value, it’s the S2’s, specifically the standards, hands down!

If I lost everything tomorrow and could only afford a moderate budget for one new instrument, it would no doubt be an S2 Standard. They have the tone and versatility to do everything, one guitar won’t be as diverse as the collection I have now, but could certainly do it all pretty well.

Definitely my S2 Starla. Stays in tune no matter how hard i abuse the bigsby. Couple of pedals and i can approximate my Tele. Good enough to not switch them on stage. And my Bernie is my Starla's backup.

I had a bunch of affordable guitars. The most expensive I had was a Squier Classic Vibe Tele that I mod'ed a little to my liking. I have always wanted a PRS since I was a teenager in the late 80's but I couldn't afford one. I found out about the S2 Standard 22 being affordable. I found a used black satin S2 Standard 22 and tried it out. I know it's an American/Asian hybrid, but it felt like home to me. I sold everything else I had to pay for it. After all, I have already decided that this would be my #1 and only one. I just kept a back up, and a cheaper guitar for electronic experiments. I don't GAS for any guitar anymore, excpet for those nice higher end PRSi's... but I won't afford them in my lifetime anyway.

So... Yep, my #1 and only one is my black satin PRS S2 Standard 22. All stock for now, but been looking at the SD Custom 5 and Jazz.

Last edited:
I think some of it is the fact that all mahogany guitars sound so good. It’s too bad that PRS had to move Standard production almost exclusively to the S2 line.

Absolutely...and here's hoping they bring back a few Core all-hog guitars in the future...there's definitely something to this^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gloss finish ones are nice, but the nitro satin finish ones may be a slightly better value, upfront cost-wise. See avatar for my current #1, soon to be nitro satin finish S2 in the next week or so.

Back