Amps towards the back of the stage.

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
So, I just got home from set up for tonight's gig. We had been discussing how loud we are on stage, and one of the guys suggested turning our amps towards the back wall (and micing like we always do). Well, to make a long story short, I think our on stage volume and mix never sounded better. I'm sure some of you have been doing this, but it sure opened my eyes (and ears).

My cat likes to face the corner sometimes. Now I'm wondering if it's the acoustics...

I point my amp at the wall sometimes, gets a much better spread of sound when playing live, in some situations. Just make sure to keep tabs on your mic'd sound, bass reflections, yada yada.

I turned mine around about 8 years ago. Been that way ever since. I don't gig much but when I do you can bet the amps pointed toward the wall.

I've used a plexiglass baffle before with similar results. Success is also dictated by the room, IMO. That room is really shallow but long, so I'll bet it brought the sound impact down a bunch. What adjustments did you have to make to the vocals?

Back