Amps, Schmamps.

Dude, just...no. Make it stop!

And there’s this. I liked it for about a week, and then listened to some actual Hendrix records, and got my mind right again.

I don’t want to hear Beethoven played by a rock band, and the last thing on Earth I want to hear is a big jazz band doing Hendrix.
I can’t stand that Kronos recording. I’m actually not a fan of much of what they do. Very fine musicians to be sure, but their sound always bugged me.
As for those Monday night Gil Evans shows at Sweet Basil, some of the more formative musical experiences of my teen age years -whether they were playing Hendrix, or Mingus, or Monk, or...
Respectfully, the comparison of Gil’s band doing Hendrix, to that Kronos performance is kind of flimsy

Respectfully, the comparison of Gil’s band doing Hendrix, to that Kronos performance is kind of flimsy

A big band should just not do Hendrix.. It’s misguided, and completely (and obviously) misses the point. Wrong context for that song.

I came to feel the same way about the Kronos version. Both the Evans and the Kronos seem like “we need to be relevant and if it’s a gimmick, so what.” And I actually like the Kronos Quartet, as well as Gil Evans, in context.

Last edited:
Yes, great, on material that suits his style and instrumentation.

Hendrix, great on material that suited his style and instrumentation.

And ne’er the twain shall meet. Start about 2:17 in....

Yes, great, on material that suits his style and instrumentation.

Hendrix, great on material that suited his style and instrumentation.

And ne’er the twain shall meet. Start about 2:17 in....

Did you even listen, or are you just prejudging? Big band jazz doesn’t need to sound like Basie or Ellington, as great as both of them were.
The concept of “Hendrix fundamentalism”, is kind of funny.

The comparison of Gil’s version of that song with Hendrix’ version is flimsy. It’s misguided, and completely (and obviously) misses the point. Wrong context for that song.

I came to feel the same way about the Kronos version. Both the Evans and the Kronos seem like “we need to be relevant and if it’s a gimmick, so what.” And I actually like the Kronos Quartet, as well as Gil Evans, in context.
Actually, that’s just historically false. Evans, Davis, and Hendrix were planning a collaboration. That ended with Hendrix death. Gil’s studio album of Hendrix music was the remnant or that planned collab. He played that music, along with the rest of his book, from that album until his death in 89

Actually, that’s just historically false. Evans, Davis, and Hendrix were planning a collaboration. That ended with Hendrix death. Gil’s studio album of Hendrix music was the remnant or that planned collab. He played that music, along with the rest of his book, from that album until his death in 89

I don’t care. I was a bad idea in the first place and wouldn’t have worked. Even famous people can have lousy ideas.

“Objection! I’m entitled to my opinion, Les!”

“Overruled!”

Big band jazz doesn’t need to sound like Basie or Ellington, as great as both of them were.

Agreed. In fact, having taken jazz bass lessons from one of Detroit’s best-known jazz bassists, I’m not completely ignorant. Just mostly ignorant. And I intend to stay that way! ;)

I listened to that clip of Evans’ band you posted for as long as I could stand it. Which was...not long. I’m too old for torture.

Also...strong preference isn’t snobbery. I just know I’m right. My wife taught me how to be right all the time. :)

Agreed. In fact, having taken jazz bass lessons from one of Detroit’s best-known jazz bassists, I’m not completely ignorant. Just mostly ignorant. And I intend to stay that way! ;)

I listened to that clip of Evans’ band you posted for as long as I could stand it. Which was...not long. I’m too old for torture.

Also...strong preference isn’t snobbery. I just know I’m right. My wife taught me how to be right all the time. :)
That’s funny. I know I’m right. But I’m self taught.

Back