Amps, new or used?

New or used amps?

• New - I love the smell of fresh glue & vinyl in the morning

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Used - Dust it off and let's get to rockin'

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
I’m far too neurotic to buy used gear.

I’m also way too neurotic to fully enjoy owning new gear.

“Mr. S...”

“Yes Dr. Freud?”

“Please leave the diagnosis to me. What was your early life like?”

“The baby book my mother kept reflects that the housekeeper was dusting, and my very first complete sentence was, “You missed a spot.”

“So you’ve always been a nutcase, then?”

“Pardon me, Dr. Freud?”

“Can you recall a time when you didn’t have bats in the belfry?”

“I...I’m not sure what you mean...”

[sighs] “Were you ever normal?”

“Well, I...I...had two careers, and raised a family, and...”

“Why two careers?”

“Well, at first I wanted to be successful, so I was a lawyer, and then I decided life was too short for that, so I became a musician...and...”

[interrupts] “So the answer is no, you were never normal?”

“I guess not.” :(

Woody Allen has nothing on you, Les. :)

I'm an even split, right down the middle for current amps. I've probably leaned harder towards used. If I can find good condition used for a bargain, I'm all about it.
Mesa bass amp-used
/13-used
Archon-used(took in trade to have a backup)
Archon-new
MT-15-new
VHT 2/50/2-new

On second thought, what was I saying? I still kind of want an early 60s AC30. And there’s only one way to get one.

“Dude. You’ve been looking for an NOS one for 50 years. I’m calling bull.”

“Yeah, there’s that.”

If I can find good condition used for a bargain, ...

I think that's the rule of thumb when it comes to anything 2nd hand, but there's also another wrinkle to that. If the used prices across market are too close to the new price, I have to go new. Sometimes there are products that hold their price well in the used market and the term "bargain" is relative.

That's why I had to go new on my recent purchase, I can't post a NAD thread :oops: because.....

........ oh well you know why.:rolleyes:

I think that's the rule of thumb when it comes to anything 2nd hand, but there's also another wrinkle to that. If the used prices across market are too close to the new price, I have to go new. Sometimes there are products that hold their price well in the used market and the term "bargain" is relative.

That's why I had to go new on my recent purchase, I can't post a NAD thread :oops: because.....

But, since you took us on your journey you should at least spill the beans

But, since you took us on your journey you should at least spill the beans

fDZgzbW.gif

....... That was the other thread, but I will divulge.......... in a future one.:cool:

On second thought, what was I saying? I still kind of want an early 60s AC30. And there’s only one way to get one.

“Dude. You’ve been looking for an NOS one for 50 years. I’m calling bull.”

“Yeah, there’s that.”

Oh dang, you should have said so, there was a mint (seriously, we thought it had been recovered) '63 AC30 at River City guitars last week. It went for $5000 though...

I always buy used because I can't afford new. But... I really like buying used because there's always a story behind it! Or, there's always a story a used item tells you!

Oh yeah, there’s definitely a line there.

When buying unobtainium, you don’t have any choice but to buy used. Since you’re obviously buying PRS - right? - unless you’re buying an Archon or John Mayer thing-a-ma-jig, you’ll be searching Craig’s list like a suburbanite buying Louis Vuitton luggage in an abandoned parking lot.

:D

Oh dang, you should have said so, there was a mint (seriously, we thought it had been recovered) '63 AC30 at River City guitars last week. It went for $5000 though...

Oh my. That’s a find!

Probably best I didn’t see it. I just bought brought home a new amp a few weeks ago. Pretty sure that if I spent $5000 on another amp so soon, my wife would be reading, “Get Revenge On Your Husband.”

When buying unobtainium, you don’t have any choice but to buy used. Since you’re obviously buying PRS - right? - unless you’re buying an Archon or John Mayer thing-a-ma-jig, you’ll be searching Craig’s list like a suburbanite buying Louis Vuitton luggage in an abandoned parking lot.

:D

Or a DG30, which you can still buy and is totally, 100%, fantastic.

A Mesa Fillmore. I ordered it over the winter, but I wanted one of the optional coverings. I’m weird that way.

My PRS amps are still the Mac Daddies of my amps, but as a change of pace, the Mesas offer me an alternative guitar reality that’s still pretty cool.

Interesting, I would have pegged you for the California Tweed given where you like your gain to sit. Can I ask why the Fillmore over that?

I really wish we had a Mesa dealer in my town. =(

Big fan of used guitars...as far as amps, semi-recently became a tube dude, and will buy used amps, BUT ONLY if there's a grace period to return if necessary...and I will play them, and keep them powered up, for extended periods, to confirm they're ok.

Back