Amps And Guitars: Are Some Matches Better Than Others?

I have a serious urge to purge at the moment. But I can't decide which amp and guitar to keep!
I am in that "want to purge" mode too. I have actually pulled out 5 amps and a few old modelers to get rid of. The new tax rules have kind of stopped me in my tracks. I was trying to decide if I wanted to try to sell through local shops and take the hit for the consignment or try to sell thorough craig's list and deal with the low ballers and flaky people. I didn't get that decision made and then the tax thing happened. I have had some of these things for so long that the receipts are long gone. I actually used to keep my receipts but went through them several years ago and tossed some because it had been so long that I couldn't see why knowing when I bought something and how much I paid for it would be important. Now I know...

I am in that "want to purge" mode too. I have actually pulled out 5 amps and a few old modelers to get rid of. The new tax rules have kind of stopped me in my tracks. I was trying to decide if I wanted to try to sell through local shops and take the hit for the consignment or try to sell thorough craig's list and deal with the low ballers and flaky people. I didn't get that decision made and then the tax thing happened. I have had some of these things for so long that the receipts are long gone. I actually used to keep my receipts but went through them several years ago and tossed some because it had been so long that I couldn't see why knowing when I bought something and how much I paid for it would be important. Now I know...
Me too... I have 3 amps to sell... waiting to see how that new tax thing shakes out...

I was able to trade one in on something else, I only got 1/2 of it's used value, but it would have been a PITA to sell, it was very heavy (Fender Supersonic 60W)

Of course some Amps will suit certain guitars/Pups better than others depending on Personal Preference.

Amps these days have 'all the gain' so you don't 'need' high output pups to push them as hard but 'older' style Amps may suit a guitar with 'hotter' pups to try and get the very high gain sounds. That's just 1 example of why certain guitars may well be 'better' matched to certain amps to get the tones you 'prefer' or 'want/need.

I expect that most people could 'make do' with one amp and an array of Pedals to be able to shape the sound to get as close as possible to a 'sound', but you may still 'prefer' the sound of the other amp due to different circuits/tubes/speakers etc. Not everyone has the funds or space to find the 'perfect' amp for every guitar they own and the 'sounds' they hoped to achieve. Which is why they 'modify' their gear by tweaking settings, changing Pedals, changing Pups etc to try and get 'closer' to their prefered sound they wanted from that Guitar.

For my ears I find that my DGT sounds best through my Matchless especially when compared to my Bogner Shiva or the 1/2 dozen other amps I have played it through with the exception being the DG30 (it would make the most sense that these 2 would be a great combo). Now my McCarty which to my understanding was the inspiration for the DGT, I find that the Bogner makes it sound STELLAR so go figure. Recently I had the opportunity to play through a Friedman BE mini and I genuinely have no words of how amazing that handles both the DGT and the McCarty! I am on a mission to try more of Dave's stuff for sure. One thing I will say though, I have found I am weird when it comes to certain Amps. To this day, no matter how much I tweek and adjust it I just cannot find tones that are pleasant to my ears with Mesa Boogie amps. I have tried the IIC all the way up to the V and just nada I do admit that the Lonestar is a great sounding amp for that clean to almost breaking tone. Marshall amps jsut do nothing for me they sound muddy to me. The only Fender amp I can honestly say I have found I enjoy is the Blues Deville - which they sadly no longer make. I play a good variety of genres but I have never tried to find 1 amp to rule them all, I typically will connect specific guitars to specific amps - which is not always friendly to the wallet haha.

For my ears I find that my DGT sounds best through my Matchless especially when compared to my Bogner Shiva or the 1/2 dozen other amps I have played it through with the exception being the DG30 (it would make the most sense that these 2 would be a great combo). Now my McCarty which to my understanding was the inspiration for the DGT, I find that the Bogner makes it sound STELLAR so go figure. Recently I had the opportunity to play through a Friedman BE mini and I genuinely have no words of how amazing that handles both the DGT and the McCarty! I am on a mission to try more of Dave's stuff for sure. One thing I will say though, I have found I am weird when it comes to certain Amps. To this day, no matter how much I tweek and adjust it I just cannot find tones that are pleasant to my ears with Mesa Boogie amps. I have tried the IIC all the way up to the V and just nada I do admit that the Lonestar is a great sounding amp for that clean to almost breaking tone. Marshall amps jsut do nothing for me they sound muddy to me. The only Fender amp I can honestly say I have found I enjoy is the Blues Deville - which they sadly no longer make. I play a good variety of genres but I have never tried to find 1 amp to rule them all, I typically will connect specific guitars to specific amps - which is not always friendly to the wallet haha.
The DGT and Matchless seem to me to be a natural. Very complimentary types of tones. I also used a McCarty through a Bogner Metropolis, a stellar match. So we have a lot in common.

The only classic Marshall amps I've ever really enjoyed playing through are Plexis, and of course the HXDA is based on them. But I get great, un-muddy cleans through it with all of my guitars, and can control the gain with the guitar as well. So on that we probably differ a bit.

I generally like Mesa amps; there are a few models that haven't floated my boat, but I can usually dial in good tones, and because of the natural compression most Mesas have, they're very, very easy to record. Put a 57 in front, and bingo, no screwing around, no pedals needed, etc. The same compression makes most Mesas forgiving to play through. The Lone Star has great cleans-to-edge-of-breakup, but I'm not big on Channel Two, and use my HXDA for higher gain stuff anyway. However...the Fillmore ties with my old Tremoverb as the best sounding Mesas I've had (and that's a bunch o' amps). I liked the clean channel on my Mark V, but the two other channels weren't for me, so I got the Lone Star.

Like you, I find that one amp can't do it all. I have to give props to my Two-Rock Onyx models, however. They came closest to all-around 'do everything' amps, though they couldn't do the one thing I wanted most, which was the vintage Plexi tones. When I had them, I never used my other amps and sold them all off.

The DGT and Matchless seem to me to be a natural. Very complimentary types of tones. I also used a McCarty through a Bogner Metropolis, a stellar match. So we have a lot in common.

The only classic Marshall amps I've ever really enjoyed playing through are Plexis, and of course the HXDA is based on them. But I get great, un-muddy cleans through it with all of my guitars, and can control the gain with the guitar as well. So on that we probably differ a bit.

I generally like Mesa amps; there are a few models that haven't floated my boat, but I can usually dial in good tones, and because of the natural compression most Mesas have, they're very, very easy to record. Put a 57 in front, and bingo, no screwing around, no pedals needed, etc. The same compression makes most Mesas forgiving to play through. The Lone Star has great cleans-to-edge-of-breakup, but I'm not big on Channel Two, and use my HXDA for higher gain stuff anyway. However...the Fillmore ties with my old Tremoverb as the best sounding Mesas I've had (and that's a bunch o' amps). I liked the clean channel on my Mark V, but the two other channels weren't for me, so I got the Lone Star.

Like you, I find that one amp can't do it all. I have to give props to my Two-Rock Onyx models, however. They came closest to all-around 'do everything' amps, though they couldn't do the one thing I wanted most, which was the vintage Plexi tones. When I had them, I never used my other amps and sold them all off.
Regarding the Lone Star I agree 100% with you regarding the channel 2. I will say there is something about Plexis that just does ont agree with my ear, I have a tried a few in the past. While I have toyed with the HXDA I have to be fair that I just did not spend enough time with the amp to really get a good feel for it. - what tones I was able to coax from it were fair from what I recall. I have yet to come across a Fillmore so cannot speak to that one but will keep my eyes open for one

Regarding the Lone Star I agree 100% with you regarding the channel 2. I will say there is something about Plexis that just does ont agree with my ear, I have a tried a few in the past. While I have toyed with the HXDA I have to be fair that I just did not spend enough time with the amp to really get a good feel for it. - what tones I was able to coax from it were fair from what I recall. I have yet to come across a Fillmore so cannot speak to that one but will keep my eyes open for one
What I don't care for on Channel Two of the Lone Star is the texture of the overdrive. Compared to my HXDA and other amps, it's a little too "6L6 overdriven Twin" for my taste. Of course, that's probably what they were going for so I'm not saying that's a bad thing...and there are times I do use it.

I generally set my HXDA to achieve the Allman-style tones in the demos below; admittedly, nothing works for everyone, and I would NEVER say that anyone else should share my taste in amps, nor do I think anyone should buy what I have. We're all different and that's a GOOD thing.

I bought the amp because it sounds like these demos, the way I set it up. NOT sayin' I'm near the level of these players, but they're the kinds of tones I get. I love this kind of tone for my overdrive sound, and heck, I stopped using Dumble style overdrive amps to get it, so I must like it!

There are certain clean tones I love from the amp, too; It does the Hendrix cleans to a T, and it's very responsive to the guitar volume and tone knobs, but if a player wants clean, that's basically the only way to get it.

I also have mine loaded with NOS 1960s and 1970s Mullard and Siemens tubes. They do contribute to the authenticity of the amp's tone.

However, I have other amps that do different kinds of clean tones. When I'm recording (which is what I use the amps for) I tend to vary things. Layering amps with different sonic signatures is a good way to fatten up the guitar sounds, which is why I have more than one amp.

Last edited:
My Mesa California Tweed sounds the best with single coil guitars and this Telecaster in particular.
FdI7w0Yl.jpg

Both of these amps prefer humbuckers and work unusually well with this PRS HB Spruce.
P41aEdfl.jpg

These 2 Boogies sound great with everything.
0YUYqGal.jpg

My Mesa California Tweed sounds the best with single coil guitars and this Telecaster in particular.
FdI7w0Yl.jpg

Both of these amps prefer humbuckers and work unusually well with this PRS HB Spruce.
P41aEdfl.jpg

0YUYqGal.jpg
How do you like the captor? I've been on the fence about those for some gigs where running direct is required.

How do you like the captor? I've been on the fence about those for some gigs where running direct is required.
I love it. Limited as an attenuator but great for going direct or recording. It even sounds great through the headphone output. The only downside for me is that it's 8 ohms only. I can't use 2 8 ohm cabs with it. If I had 2 16 ohm cabs, it would be no issue. Minor quibble over one of the best purchases I've made in years.

FdI7w0Yl.jpg

P41aEdfl.jpg

0YUYqGal.jpg
That tweed looks interesting will have to check out how it sounds on the youtube or hopefully find one in the wild

That tweed looks interesting will have to check out how it sounds on the youtube or hopefully find one in the wild
There are on ton of videos on youtube about this amp. One of the better examples is one Mick from That Pedal Show did. I think the name of the amp is a little misleading as it really has less gain available than any tweed I've played. With single coils I can play pretty loud and clean which is what I use it for. I'm a fan.

There are on ton of videos on youtube about this amp. One of the better examples is one Mick from That Pedal Show did. I think the name of the amp is a little misleading as it really has less gain available than any tweed I've played. With single coils I can play pretty loud and clean which is what I use it for. I'm a fan.
In your opinion how does it handle humbuckers (I am not really much of a single coil guy)? I will definitely check out the Pedal Show demo

I like the Cali Tweed a lot, too, though I don't have one. Yet.

In your opinion how does it handle humbuckers (I am not really much of a single coil guy)? I will definitely check out the Pedal Show demo
If the Cali Tweed doesn't work with humbuckers (I have no idea), its brother/sister the Fillmore certainly does. I have one, it's great with humbuckers, and is based on the same Tweed-style platform, according to Mesa.

It works just fine with humbuckers in my opinion, that's just not my typical use for it. The low input takes a little of the edge off for higher output pickups in general. My McCarty with 58/15s sounded glorious with it last night.

The Fillmore is probably a better value along with being more versatile. I'm glad I have both though.

I love it. Limited as an attenuator but great for going direct or recording. It even sounds great through the headphone output. The only downside for me is that it's 8 ohms only. I can't use 2 8 ohm cabs with it. If I had 2 16 ohm cabs, it would be no issue. Minor quibble over one of the best purchases I've made in years.

Update: I bought the 8ohm one without the IR loader Monday. It came in yesterday and I'm really impressed. It should do very well on the gig tomorrow.

In my experience there are some instruments in my collection that certainly get along better with certain amps .
Mostly Higher gain amps and semi or full hollowbody's.

One of the reasons I was interested in posting this thread is that I often hear folks say, "This amp is a great amp, that amp is a bad amp," when in fact, everything depends on what you're playing through it, and what you're trying to accomplish musically.

At least that's the way it seems to me. And there is the occasional surprise, when you can't believe how good a given amp sounds with a particular guitar.

One of the reasons I was interested in posting this thread is that I often hear folks say, "This amp is a great amp, that amp is a bad amp," when in fact, everything depends on what you're playing through it, and what you're trying to accomplish musically.

At least that's the way it seems to me. And there is the occasional surprise, when you can't believe how good a given amp sounds with a particular guitar.
So not too long ago I found a Fender Blues Deville 4x10. I used to love this amp in the 90s and I ended up buying it on the spot without even really playing it much in the store. Back then I mainly played a Ibanez Satriani hardtail which was such a great guitar. So fast forward to now where I mainly play my PRSi. So here I go plugging it in and right out the gate I was genuinely in love with how amazing this amp sounds with any of my PRS guitars

Back