Amp wattage/power attenuators

Huggy Love

Vintage member
Been considering one to use with my 50w recto to try to get it to home practice levels. From what I've read there are some tone issues with them and I see a big variance in the price range of what's out there.

Any of you have experience with them? I see cheapies out there for $50. that I probably won't want to waste time with, low end stuff in the $200-300 range and high end units at close to a grand. I know you get what you pay for but are these effective items to begin with?, let alone paying top dollar for?

If you've used one let me know your experience. THX

I have a friend who has a Rivera RockCrusher permanently affixed between the amp and speakers of a combo of his (sorry, forget which amp, but I know it's the plain RockCrusher, not the Recording one) -- I've heard it many times, it's tonal damage is minimal, and I trust his ear.

Also, the Mesa Boogie Cab Clone is an entirely different animal -- you'd either plug your amp straight into them and then reroute the output to a monitor somehow, or headphones. I haven't tried one yet, but intend to.

Have you tried putting a volume pedal in the loop? I've heard some people have success with that. Even an eq pedal & bringing the level way down. Trying to think of some ideas of things you might have around to try 1st.

Only thing I've tried is a Bad Cat unleash, which sounded great with my Bad Cat and not so great with my Friedman Naked(which is the amp I hoped to use it with). I kinda want another one nowfor the BC at home cause it just sounds way better louder. That and mine doesn't have a loop and that would be nice at times.

Last edited:
I have a marshall power brake that I bought used from local CL. I tried in on my 5150 and it was ok at first but I grew tired of it quickly.

It does have 8 and 16 ohm capabilities which would be a handy option.

I was trying to get the holy grail tone for live performance not for practice. I don't have a lot of time to practice so when I do practice it's, flip on the cube 30 get it figured out before son goes to bed!

Minority view here; I have tried power attenuators and have 15/7 watt amp as well as two 100 watters. For my tastes the sound of a 100 watt amp turned down, as long as it is an amp that does it well, sounds as good or better than a low watt or attenuated wattage.

My amps are Marshall JVM 210H, Marshall TSL 100 and an Orange Dark terror. I do not remember the attenuator I bought and sold.

Minority view here; I have tried power attenuators and have 15/7 watt amp as well as two 100 watters. For my tastes the sound of a 100 watt amp turned down, as long as it is an amp that does it well, sounds as good or better than a low watt or attenuated wattage.

+1

But...there are lots of different ideas on this.

There are power soaks to reduce volume levels through the guitar cab; there are load boxes like the Cab Clone that convert your amp's power output to a mic or line-level signal for use with recording interfaces, hi fi systems, or headphones; and there are hybrid systems that do what the cab clone does plus add a low power amplifier to drive a speaker.

All of these work to varying degrees at different price points, and all are compromises (I have the Cab Clone and find it very useful when recording with speaker impulse responses if I'm working very late, and for practice with headphones).

Then there is the army of very low wattage amps on the market, 1-5 watts. Most of them sound pretty bad, but there are some decent ones if you're prepared to spend some dough - though none I'd be thrilled to buy.

There's no reason you couldn't hook a Cab Clone or Suhr load box to a home hi fi rig or headphones. And while I'm not a fan of amp modelers, if I was in a place where I literally couldn't use an amp at reasonable levels, I'd get a Line 6 Helix, Axe FX, or Kemper, because any solution at extremely low volume is going to be a compromise.

My amps are Marshall JVM 210H, Marshall TSL 100 and an Orange Dark terror. I do not remember the attenuator I bought and sold.
Well you & Les are definitely in the minority there, I agree with the majority view on this and have never been able to get a big amp at low volume to sound anything less than a bucket of fizz since 1981, and I've tried. The only other person I knew that felt that way was in a band with me decades ago, ............"it still sounds great man!!.........see?"..........well me & the rest of the guys didn't agree but at least he practiced.

If you can get a decent tone that way, you're better than me or I'm just too picky. Les says go solid state for home jamming and I already have that with my line6 so maybe I'm being too picky in wanting a top notch tone for a low volume situation, but then again for practice it doesn't matter as much and for recording it surely will. With the line6 I've already got direct recording covered to some extent. He also mentions the 1-5w amp option and I've gone over that option too, he's right that most of them aren't very good, the only one I found that sounded good was the Suhr lunchbox head, in fact it sounded fantastic but was really not very flexible at all being a one purpose recording amp. If Mesa or PRS made a 25w head that attenuated down to 1watt I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

I'm semi-surprised I didn't see any replies praising at least one of these units so that might say something there, and I've read some not-so great reviews on the results of these products so that makes me have to rethink my options.

Last edited:
As I type this I just got done playing for a bit with my new S2, Mark Five 25, and my Fryette Power Station attenuator.
Pretty happy with the Fryette, but it was not cheap.

Check out some of the vids on it on YouTube.

Honestly you can't go quiet enough, simply bcs depending on what kind of cab you have.
Say you use a 4X12 cab at home, well a cab that big needs power to get the speakers moving. I'd try a one speaker cab and try a volume in the effects loop. Or like other guys said try the Rivera rockcrusher, probably one of the best on the market.

Well you & Les are definitely in the minority there, I agree with the majority view on this and have never been able to get a big amp at low volume to sound anything less than a bucket of fizz since 1981, and I've tried. The only other person I knew that felt that way was in a band with me decades ago, ............"it still sounds great man!!.........see?"..........well me & the rest of the guys didn't agree but at least he practiced.

Never did I claim this type of thing produces an awesome sound! Please don't misconstrue!

It's just that it sounds no worse than other solutions I consider equally bad. I have a 100 Watt amp that switches down to 10 Watts, the Lone Star. It does what it does, but it doesn't sound much better at 10 W than set at 100 with the Master Volume simply set low.

My HXDA sounds better with the master set low than the Lone Star set to 10 Watts, frankly.

I've yet to play a 1 Watt amp that sounds good. The only 5 Watt amp that halfway works for my ears is the Suhr, and it's not all that fabulous, though it is acceptable. As I said, I already have a 10 watt amp via the switches on my Lone Star that kinda sorta is OK.

In other words, none of these solutions is ideal.

And of course, that's because of an inescapable fact: The speakers aren't being driven hard. The output tubes aren't being driven hard. The transformer isn't saturating. These things matter as much as power tube saturation to the sound of an amp. So the question is one of expectations; can they be met?

I made it very clear in many threads that I don't simply turn down my master; I can crank my amps to the max until quite late at night, and only need a load box or modeling solution if I'm working after midnight. When needed, I use a Cab Clone, and in another thread posted examples of it. The Cab Clone is itself an acceptable compromise. The Fryette Corey mentions is another acceptable compromise, as are modelers.

The point here isn't who's right or wrong; it's whether any black box is going to meet your expectations. I don't think you'll find anything that does precisely what you're hoping to find, but if you're willing to make the necessary mental shift in your expectations, you might find something that works for you. And you might not.

I've wasted plenty of time and money trying to find the perfect solution, and I learned that - for me - the perfect solution is an attitude adjustment. YMMV. ;)

Last edited:
The most universally loved device of this type at The Gear Page is far and away the Power Station! True reactive load and very flat neutral re-amp.

You'll get the full tone of your opened up tube amp, and miss only the speaker cones breakup contributions you'd have with a loud amp

Never did I claim this type of thing produces an awesome sound! Please don't misconstrue!

You're too funny sometimes Les, nobody misquoted you with "awesome sound", and I didn't even insinuate that.

Yeah, I already have in mind that nothing is gonna be perfect, I'm just shooting for the best balance of tone, function, and cost effectiveness. Nothing is going to compare to a 100w or 50w tube amp pushed to the right levels, just wanted to get something better than solid state or modeling for practice and micd recording. The cost effectiveness is almost as much a factor as getting a satisfactory sound as I feel that $500 or more is a bit much just to quiet down an amp, and although there are a couple lower priced models out there (Jettenuator, Dr Z), the reviews were mixed. Hell, I can get a 1w blackstar head used for about $150 for practice but I just won't have the sound my Mesa has and won't have the convenience of switching channels.

Ahh.....I'll figure it out somehow.

You're too funny sometimes Les, nobody misquoted you with "awesome sound", and I didn't even insinuate that.

Yeah, I already have in mind that nothing is gonna be perfect, I'm just shooting for the best balance of tone, function, and cost effectiveness. Nothing is going to compare to a 100w or 50w tube amp pushed to the right levels, just wanted to get something better than solid state or modeling for practice and micd recording. The cost effectiveness is almost as much a factor as getting a satisfactory sound as I feel that $500 or more is a bit much just to quiet down an amp, and although there are a couple lower priced models out there (Jettenuator, Dr Z), the reviews were mixed. Hell, I can get a 1w blackstar head used for about $150 for practice but I just won't have the sound my Mesa has and won't have the convenience of switching channels.

Ahh.....I'll figure it out somehow.

I wasn't upset. More of a "Please Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" kinda thing. ;)

No worries, I'm just poking at ya a little.:D

I did think of another idea based off the volume pedal concept that Vaughn mentioned, though I'm not wanting to use a pedal for the possibility of accidentally hitting the pedal and shattering all the windows in my apartment building. So my thinking is there must be a unit out there that will act as a volume control like the pedal but just has a knob or something so it will have less chance of a mishap. I guess basically it would work just like an attenuator but probably suck tone wise, maybe that would be equal to the cheap attenuators on the market.............ahh still figuring it out.

I've got one of these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RockCrusher
There's a demo video at that link to. I'm sure you've looked at them already though. I think it works pretty good. I guess I can't really tell how much tone it would steal because I never really get the chance to turn an amp up on its own to find out :oops:

That Rock Crusher is very nice.
And Mitch, great sales pitch too for the SE Santana!
My introduction to the world of PRS.

This subject is timely for me.
We have been wiring up mics for drums in our practice space (the studio) in anticipation of doing some recording. Bass can go DI, and so can my lead guitar player with his Boogie 5:25. I however do not have that ability with the H amp. We want to record all of us together in order to at least capture the drum track, then re-do the other instruments individually if required. I have a Line 6 Pod XT Live, but don't really want to swap between that and the H. Recording the effects out is probably not a solution, though I have not tried that yet.
So... I've been looking at these:

H&K Redbox. Sounds like it does suck some tone out and forces you to leave the speaker connected (or another load). Nope
Koch Dummybox Studio. Interesting device that includes load and has some limited "fake" mic placement and cab size switches. Hmmm...
Rivera Rockcrusher
Suhr Reactive Load
Palmer PDI-03. Seems to be a studio standard.
Fryette Power Station.

I'm waffling between the Koch which might just yield scratch tracks and then I'd probably need to re-do my part with a mic on the H, and a used Palmer PDI-03 which might just yield a final track.
Leaning towards the Palmer...

Hey, I brought my little Pignose into work today since I can play that full blast and get a nice AC/DC style crunch.
Imagine how that would sound pumped through my Fryette Power Station with the 6L6 power tubes.
I had just the Pignose cranked up full yesterday at home, but even that little bugger can get me in trouble there.

I will say one thing for modeling amps like the Blackstar IS series.
I can get the same nice sound that I want with it turned up loud, or at a whisper.

As much as I've always wanted an attenuator to be the magic ticket to controlled insanity (since Tom Scholz invented the Power Soak), it just isn't. IMO, it's only good for bringing 125db/m SPL to about 108. Otherwise, it just sounds wrong. A Redbox is brilliant for an emergency way of getting from a cab to the board. But there's no substitute for raw power stage speaker abuse.

Ultimately, the mic to speaker is king, no argument from me.
My use case is to record with the band live whilst being silent and all of us wearing headphones. Without an isolation room I'm not sure I have other options.
Experimentation is fun!

Back