Amp question

Funkbear311

9-5 worker, who just wants to play guitar at work
anyone here use a fender hot rod deluxe with their PRS? That's my setup and I'm looking to get a nice clean tone with low volume but then when I crank the volume get a nice crunchy distortion on the bridge. Anyone use this style? What amp settings are you using? Just trying to mess with the endless pursuit of tone again

What are your amp settings? The guy I play with uses a Fender Strat HSS Deluxe with his hot rod deluxe and has it dialed in pretty nicely (he uses pedals for his gain because fender drive is garbage). When ever he plays my Custom 24 he has to roll the volume back on the guitar or it distorts at higher volume.

I have an HRD that I use sometimes and I almost always use a PRS. It's a great playing out workhorse. But... I agree with the above. The HRD has terrific cleans but the drive is ...I'm looking for the right term here... uh... nasty. Run a pedal off the clean channel for your dirty stuff.

I've played a HRD on a few occasions, I actually love both the HRD and Blues Deluxe. If you're not crankin loud, for sure use a pedal. The amp does break up pretty nicely when you really goose the volume even on the clean channel, but that's loud.

I used a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde with it, and the guy whose amp it was, and I, both thought it was a killer match. I've since gotten the Truetone version, and have actually contemplated giving him the VS pedal, just because it was such a good match. Or, if you want something super transparent, the Bogner/Neve pedals are superb.

I've played a HRD on a few occasions, I actually love both the HRD and Blues Deluxe. If you're not crankin loud, for sure use a pedal. The amp does break up pretty nicely when you really goose the volume even on the clean channel, but that's loud.

I used a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde with it, and the guy whose amp it was, and I, both thought it was a killer match. I've since gotten the Truetone version, and have actually contemplated giving him the VS pedal, just because it was such a good match. Or, if you want something super transparent, the Bogner/Neve pedals are superb.

I'll toss out a big plus one on the Bogner/Neve pedals.

I use a HRD with PRS guitars and have no problems whatsoever except for controlling the volume (things can get loud very quickly - but the tone is fantastic on clean setting). I play on the clean setting exclusively and use a OD pedal if I need some distortion or a clean boost pedal if I just want some more sustain. As far as tone settings go on the amp, I am pretty much a 5-6 guy on the bass- mid - treble knobs. At times I will roll back the volume a bit when using PRS guitars through this amp. I try not to get too carried away with settings, because I want to spend more time playing.

I love playing through my HRD, but only after I swapped the tubes and the transformers to Mercury Magnetics. Love the responsiveness and tone. The dirty channel is better, but pedals all the way for my dirt.

Thanks for the input guys. I mostly use my pedals for any sort of effects but wanted to know if you can crank the volume to break up the tone that's all. I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the input guys. I mostly use my pedals for any sort of effects but wanted to know if you can crank the volume to break up the tone that's all. I'll see what I can do.

You'd have to be playing darn loud to get power tube distortion. You could use an attenuator to keep your ears intact. I have an original Blues Deluxe and I just about never turn it up past 4. Its ability to stay clean at high(ish) volumes is one of its strengths to me.

Back