Amp Modeler?

When having my firstborn, I bought a Yamaha THR10C. Still like it, still use it. Would an app-based editor be cool? Probably, but not for the big price tag associated with upgrading to the THRii. I also have a THR100HD, which is pretty cool as an amp - you can easily run stereo, built in variety of boosts/reverbs, and nice headphone out too.

Then I picked up a HX Stomp. It's basically a very limited Helix. Super cool. It's a very nice headphone solution & you can also use it as that "one time only" pedal you wanted to get a feel for.... for me, it's either a headphone amp or a crazy delay pedal. Very versatile.

That won't keep her quiet.

8mgHyHp.gif

Looked into a few of the suggestions. The UA Ox Box is appealing for the cab sims and low volume attenuation but I don’t really want to spend a grand or so. I tried downloading the free trial of Helix Native but my computer kept giving me errors and wouldn’t properly download it. After being fed up with that I braved the world and went out and picked up the Iridium. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but I’m sure I’ll dig it as I love Strymon products. It will get tested out tonight for sure.

Last edited:
Looked into a few of the suggestions. The UA Ox Box is appealing for the cab sims and low volume attenuation but I don’t really want to spend a grand or so. I tried downloading the free trial of Helix Native but my computer kept giving me errors and wouldn’t properly download it. After being fed up that I braved the world and went out and picked up the Iridium. I haven’t had a chance to check it out yet but I’m sure I’ll dig it as I love Strymon products. It will get tested out tonight for sure.
Looking forward to your review!

Here’s my first impressions. The Iridium is super intuitive and the controls are simple. I tried it in three different setups: all by itself using headphones, at the end of my pedal board just like hitting the front of an amp (with headphones again), and lastly ran it into my audio interface using my studio monitors at low volume. The headphone experience with it is nice. Even at low ear volumes it sounds great. I did turn it up a little bit to experience it and the amps sound huge! I’m sure better quality headphones would yield better results, but no complaints here. Getting set up with the audio interface is easy. Just plug and play.

I can’t tell you how well it replicates a Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30, or Marshall Plexi. I’ve never played through those amps and just don’t have that experience to compare. What I will say, in my opinion, all three amps sound really great. I didn’t hear any of the digital artifacts in the higher frequencies that impact sound quality and make it a dead ringer for a digital box. It responded well to volume and tone adjustments on the guitar, and it “felt” like playing through an amp, meaning it didn’t feel sterile.

For me, the room knob on the pedal is magic. It’s not reverb, but it changes the size of the room and the natural room ambiance as you roll the knob. You can also adjust the size of room via secondary function. Right now the Plexi setting with cab A is my favorite. I like to turn the guitar volume down to 5 or 6 and set the gain for good crunch then roll up on the guitar volume for extra punch. It sounds great on this pedal. Also as a side note, if your a Queen fan, the Vox setting with cab B and drive turned up gets some damn convincing Brian May tones.

Here’s my first impressions. The Iridium is super intuitive and the controls are simple. I tried it in three different setups: all by itself using headphones, at the end of my pedal board just like hitting the front of an amp (with headphones again), and lastly ran it into my audio interface using my studio monitors at low volume. The headphone experience with it is nice. Even at low ear volumes it sounds great. I did turn it up a little bit to experience it and the amps sound huge! I’m sure better quality headphones would yield better results, but no complaints here. Getting set up with the audio interface is easy. Just plug and play.

I can’t tell you how well it replicates a Fender Deluxe, Vox AC30, or Marshall Plexi. I’ve never played through those amps and just don’t have that experience to compare. What I will say, in my opinion, all three amps sound really great. I didn’t hear any of the digital artifacts in the higher frequencies that impact sound quality and make it a dead ringer for a digital box. It responded well to volume and tone adjustments on the guitar, and it “felt” like playing through an amp, meaning it didn’t feel sterile.

For me, the room knob on the pedal is magic. It’s not reverb, but it changes the size of the room and the natural room ambiance as you roll the knob. You can also adjust the size of room via secondary function. Right now the Plexi setting with cab A is my favorite. I like to turn the guitar volume down to 5 or 6 and set the gain for good crunch then roll up on the guitar volume for extra punch. It sounds great on this pedal. Also as a side note, if your a Queen fan, the Vox setting with cab B and drive turned up gets some damn convincing Brian May tones.
Sounds like you made a great choice! Nice review.

Sounds like you already have the iridium, but the Atomic Amplifirebox is another cool option. I have one and love it. I've used modellers for way too long. I still have my Johnson Millenium JM-250, for reference. Anyway I got tired of option overload and this thing is perfect. I spent a day or so with the editor on a pc. But since then it's just been plug and play and twist a knob or two if needed.

Also the headphones you use can make a huge difference. And no one has mentioned the Boss Waza Air heapphones. Basically a Katana for your head. It can even follow your head movements so your "amp" stays in place as you move your head around. I've not tried them, but would like to for sitting around jamming. :)

If you’re open to software models, Waves does three PRS amps as plugins that also run standalone.
So far I’ve been really happy with the Iridium and would definitely recommend the product. But your comment about the three PRS amp models kept lingering in the back of my head. I just downloaded them and they are fantastic. Haven’t spent much time with them but the Dallas sounds great. I’m spending way too much time in front of a computer and making impulse purchases. Not sure to blame the virus or this forum!

Back