Amp Modeler?

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! I’ve never heard anything bad said about the UA Ox Box, and to be honest I didn’t ever think of it as a recording tool. I always thought it was just an attenuator.

I have zero experience with the Helix, Kemper, and Headrush world, but I’m definitely open to it.

One of my favorite YouTube channels is That Pedal Show. I believe Dan uses a small Yamaha amp for practice and he seems pleased with it.

Lots o’ options out there. I’ll research and try stuff out until I come to a solution that strikes a balance between utility, cost, and peace.

And to be honest I probably only need the clean of the Fender model and the crunch of the Plexi, plus a few pedals, to be able to get all the sounds I want.

Exactly what I wanted the Iridium for - I’m happy with my pedal setup for my Marshall and my Deluxe Reverb and wanted something easy and similar in a modeler

I haven't been blown away by the headphone sounds of it.

Sadly, also what I wanted the Iridium for.

Just wanted something similar to my amp setup that I could just plug into my pedalboard and use with headphones on those nice weather nights when all my windows are open, or if I wanted to take a work break for 10 mins and didn’t want to warm up the tubes for such a short time.

I have a Katana and it’s good, but I always feel the need to fiddle with the million options more than I actually play, so I wanted the simplicity.

Sadly, also what I wanted the Iridium for.

Just wanted something similar to my amp setup that I could just plug into my pedalboard and use with headphones on those nice weather nights when all my windows are open, or if I wanted to take a work break for 10 mins and didn’t want to warm up the tubes for such a short time.

I have a Katana and it’s good, but I always feel the need to fiddle with the million options more than I actually play, so I wanted the simplicity.

I don't think there's anything wrong per se with the headphone sounds - and from the little I've read it does seem to depend on the quality of the headphones, but it never sounds as convincing to me as just playing quietly through some speakers. And although there is a room reverb included, it's more to give a sense of space than a true reverb, which isn't quite enough on it's own for me. What I do is connect it to my thr10, and plug my headphones into that and add reverb on there. I'd still rather just hear it quietly through the speakers though

I have a Helix rack thst i have used since they were released. It was the best purchase i ever made. I also have an HX Stomp thst i take to open jams and auditions.

At home i use the rack with JBL LSR305 speakers. Live, I use HX or the rack with an EV/ZLX12P. I'm always pleased with my tones, quiet and loud.

I've used the Axe-FX II and the KPA over the last few years and I'm very happy with both for different reasons. Regarding those two or their floor counterparts/relatives, both can sound good but it depends on what you like or how much you'd like to tweak parameters to get your tones. I find the KPA is mostly set and forget, switch to another profile if you don't like the one you're hearing. The Axe-FX units have much more control over various aspects, like changing out the power section among a slew of other things, but I can understand how some may have regarded it as a bit daunting.

Anyway, to reiterate- both work very well for whatever you want to throw at them. ie-

Surprisingly, the POD HD 500X hasn't been mentioned. Lots of amp models and about any pedal imaginable. At Mrs. matonajin's naptime or if I get up early I use it with headphones. Great tone.

I have an Axe Fx, so I can do the headphone thing if I want. But sometimes I just want to hook up the Tucana 3 and let it rage... quietly. Another vote here for the Universal Audio Ox Amp Top Box. It is a surprisingly useful box that, not surprisingly coming from UA, has fantastic sound quality. It also provides a load even with no speaker cabinet connected, so it will protect you from some of those attenuator nightmares. But you haven’t really gotten to the real fun until you use its virtual cabs, mics, and killer UA FX and processing.

I’ve suggested this video to others. It is a great demo of the unit. It’s 30-ish minutes, but really shows the possibilities!

Hey, we all have to think about our bottom dollar (convince her that's the case, even if it isn't, ya know, corona and all) so get her some ear plugs. Most economical. :D

I have 3 great tube amps and use GB all the time to practice at home. I love it. I have the larger Rocket studio monitors which Im sure make a big difference.

I also have a helix stomp. I am not a fan of modelers for the most part. Mostly due to feel and slightly the tone.

Get good monitors with your Garage Band. If its still not enough you did not waste any money on the monitors.

I was also looking for a simple late night practice solution and picked up an iRig HD2 to use with headphones at night, they're like $100.

I want to load it into the next rocket heading for the sun. It is SO bad (latency primarily, and the models it comes with are pretty bad).

I realize this this just a toy compared to what's out there (at least I hope so) and no one has mentioned it - thankfully - but don't be tempted by this thing if you try to save a few bucks!

Side note: I have an older Fireface UCX and that has come back as my practice engine (among other things). Minimal latency and my 594 through pedal board sounds fine through it.

d7pT5s1.jpg

They make noise-cancelling headphones, you know...

Or, you could find an amp modeler that sounds good with an FRFR, headphones out, or computer monitors turned down. Not only will your family thank you during late night jam binges, but also the neighbors, apartment management, condo association, local authorities, etc. Remember, listening to your cans at loud volume is the fast-track to deafness. Protect your ears the same way you protect your health.

Back