AMP GAS - It Is After Me!

I gig with a SS amp, a Roland Blues Cube Artist (I also have the Ultimate Blues Tone Capsule installed). It doesn't sound as awesome as my Hot Cat, but for the cover band it sounds more than good enough, is LIGHT, and sounds great at ANY volume (a huge benefit of SS/digital amps).

But I have been shopping for some kind of a backup- just in case the combo ever goes down. Not a whole other amp, trying to keep gigs as easy as possible, so I was researching "pedalboard" or "floor" amps... just ordered a Hughes & Kettner Ampman Classic. Demos sound great, 50W, effects loop (which I NEED for the cover band), and it has channel switching clean/dirty. Should be perfect. Not as SEXY as a new tube amp, but the cover band is all about practicality.

I’ve purposely stayed away from this thread, as this sort of content normally has a bad savings-draining sort of potential. Amazingly, 13 pages later, I’m not amp shopping. That’s different!

Serg hit the nail on the head a few pages back: the insane asking prices of gear post-Covid and current inflation is effectively killing any interest in guitars or amps for me.

I added a Fractal Audio FM9 Turbo when my name came up on the waitlist. It’s an addition to an Axe Fx IIIT that I have, and both are incredible pieces of gear from a company with superb support and community that hasn’t jumped on the “double the price” wagon. I honestly didn’t need the FM9T, but it’s been a fun addition. Fractal kicks ass. Also added a second Atomic CLR wedge, because playing with stereo amps and effects is also fun!

Otherwise, I added a second Mesa 1x12 cab to my California Tweed head and cab. It’s the Jensen Blackbird 100 (not 40) speaker in both, and they’re special (and getting impossible to find) cabs.

That’s it amplification-wise in quite a while. No new tube amps at all. There are several I’d love to get, but like the crazy priced NF3s, I’m just not swallowing the bait that’s in the water.

I do hope some of you are finding what you want!

didn't know that. not like i was going to buy one or anything but i sure like that tone.
I Really Liked The Various Cornford Models I Had. I Regret Selling Them But At The Time I Did The Company Was Going Strong And I Thought They Would Always Be Around. Had I Known They Wouldn't Be, I Would Have Never Sold Them. I Did Keep My Richie Kotzen Signature Model. That Is A Phenomenal Amp!

I Really Liked The Various Cornford Models I Had. I Regret Selling Them But At The Time I Did The Company Was Going Strong And I Thought They Would Always Be Around. Had I Known They Wouldn't Be, I Would Have Never Sold Them. I Did Keep My Richie Kotzen Signature Model. That Is A Phenomenal Amp!
They had a few issues. The workshop when in flames, and then Paul Conford and Martin Kidd had disagreements ending in Kidd leaving to form Victory Amplifiers. I only played their MK50; it was the fire. Like a Marshall but with everything "more."

Saw A New Mesa Dual Rec From The Factory That Is Tolexed In The Old School, Cheaper Looking And Feeling Tolex (Like The Mark VII And Older Mark Series Amps) And Not The Usual Nicer Tolex Like In The Past. Is Gibson Cutting More Corners While Continually Raising Mesa Prices? It Sure Seems Like It. I Have Never Seen That Tolex On A Rectifier Amp But It Is Now Standard. What A Shame...

Last edited:
Saw A New Mesa Dual Rec From The Factory That Is Tolexed In The Old School, Cheaper Looking And Feeling Tolex (Like The Mark VII And Older Mark Series Amps) And Not The Usual Nicer Tolex Like In The Past. Is Gibson Cutting More Corners While Continually Raising Mesa Prices? It sure Seems Like It. I Have Never Seen That Alex On A Rectifier Amp, But It Is Now Standard. What A Shame...

I can't say; there have been no new Mesa Boogies in England past two two years. Unique biz model

That Is An Odd Business Model. You Could Always Fake News It And Say "Man, Those Mesa Amps Are Selling Out Faster Than You Can Pull Out Your Wallet To Buy Them! ... LOL.

I wish I could say that. Big Mesa fan since the 90s; it's breaking me inside to a degree. The new ones are like fairy dust, but good old Rectos, Marks and Lonestars are still in spades on the second-hand market.

I wish I could say that. Big Mesa fan since the 90s; it's breaking me inside to a degree. The new ones are like fairy dust, but good old Rectos, Marks and Lonestars are still in spades on the second-hand market.
Are The Marks And Revision F's And G's Going For Starter Home Prices?

Are The Marks And Revision F's And G's Going For Starter Home Prices?
£1500-1750 usually. Altho I seen G's in a 1200 mark no longer than few weeks ago.

Lonestars classics are £1000-1400.

Marks all over the place

£1500-1750 usually. Altho I seen G's in a 1200 mark no longer than few weeks ago.

Lonestars classics are £1000-1400.

Marks all over the place
I Am Looking For That Chrome Panel Black Face Unicorn.

Saw A New Mesa Dual Rec From The Factory That Is Tolexed In The Old School, Cheaper Looking And Feeling Tolex (Like The Mark VII And Older Mark Series Amps) And Not The Usual Nicer Tolex Like In The Past. Is Gibson Cutting More Corners While Continually Raising Mesa Prices? It Sure Seems Like It. I Have Never Seen That Tolex On A Rectifier Amp But It Is Now Standard. What A Shame...
On Mojotone the smooth old-Mesa style tolex is a buck cheaper by the yard than most of the pebbly stuff. So it's probably not a matter of cheaping out. I see there's no upcharge by Mesa if you order an amp covered in the smooth stuff in black.

But -just goes to show ya how different everyone is. I've never liked the old-Mesa smooth tolex, so I think the pebbly stuff is an improvement! ;)

Back