AMP GAS - It Is After Me!

Aneah, you have any experience with the Boogie Filmore 50 Combo? I've heard it mentioned a few times but I'm assuming you guys are talking about the head

Yeah, I have a head, Less has a 50w head too. I can't imagine it sounding any different head to combo. Fillmore cabs come as an open-back, just like the combo does.

Personally - it's a perfect amp for me. I have mine sandwiched between some utility units. Its tone is affected by that, so I probably save you the tonal description. All I gonna say is it's a solid rock amp, more classic than modern. Although, it has typical Boogie fast low-end response when properly boosted. Imo best of both worlds, the amp I would take everywhere knowing it will do the job just fine

Yeah, I have a head, Less has a 50w head too. I can't imagine it sounding any different head to combo. Fillmore cabs come as an open-back, just like the combo does.

Personally - it's a perfect amp for me. I have mine sandwiched between some utility units. Its tone is affected by that, so I probably save you the tonal description. All I gonna say is it's a solid rock amp, more classic than modern. Although, it has typical Boogie fast low-end response when properly boosted. Imo best of both worlds, the amp I would take everywhere knowing it will do the job just fine
I watched a Fillmore 50 demo with Andy Timmons and was beyond impressed with the tone, although I'm sure Mr. Timmons playing helped too.

Despite having grown up (musically speaking) using Mesa combos, I prefer separating the speaker from the amp.

Decades on, the Boogies that I still use run through external cabs, ignoring the combos' own speakers. Plus, my Two Rocks and Fenders are all separate amps/cabs.

"May you never lay your head down......"

Despite having grown up (musically speaking) using Mesa combos, I prefer separating the speaker from the amp.

Decades on, the Boogies that I still use run through external cabs, ignoring the combos' own speakers. Plus, my Two Rocks and Fenders are all separate amps/cabs.

"May you never lay your head down......"
I've heard it said many times that a combo is a 'tube torture chamber'. I'd have to agree.

I mentioned this already in a different thread but I just bought a Synergy SYN-1 tabletop with the idea to add a proper, high-gain channel (two channels actually) to my already dearly loved Fillmore.

I went with the Diezel Herbert module. I may try some others in future too. I'm not hoping it will make my amp GAS better, I'm hoping it will make it cheaper

I mentioned this already in a different thread but I just bought a Synergy SYN-1 tabletop with the idea to add a proper, high-gain channel (two channels actually) to my already dearly loved Fillmore.

I went with the Diezel Herbert module. I may try some others in future too. I'm not hoping it will make my amp GAS better, I'm hoping it will make it cheaper
Here's To Hoping!

I haven't played a Fillmore, but there's a video where they play the 50W in combo and head/cab forms. To my ears, the head/cab sounds better. More open and bigger. Less congested too.

The ‘ol “THIS IS GREAT!…I wonder how much better the actual thing is…”
This type of thinking is to blame for how I wound up with a SLO.:p:D
I still dig my Fillmore. Three years and we still have the thing going on. My problem is, I like strats as much as ERG guitars. I listen to Walter Trout and Slipknot with the same level of pleasure. I need a gear to reflect it. As much as Fillmore takes me close with proper boosters, it's still not the modern metal tone I'm after.

I was a rack guy, for way too long actually. Then I was a head guy, I love the big tone from a 4x12 (or a couple or even a few) or a 2x12, but now I’ve switched to combos.

The reason being, I kept getting drowned out by band mates with combos! It was never the amps fault, it was the f@cking sound goon.

I’d roll in with my rack, or my DG30, or my drunmer’s Soldano and my 2x12, which was a perfectly reasonable setup for manageable volume in clubs, and dude would tell me I have to turn down before I’d even plugged in.

Meanwhile my girls gotta Boogie DC3, or my man has a Deville, or my guy has a Rectifier combo and they get to turn up to like, 6 or 7 encouraged by the FOH (fool of house) to “open it up just enough to breathe”.

So f@ck you, Mr. Part time engineer, enjoy my tiny MkIV or .50 Cal.+ those aren’t loud at all.

Back