AMP GAS - It Is After Me!

I could get ALL kinds of sounds out of the V. Almost... I could never get a satisfying Marshall or modified Marshall type of open crunch or lead tones out of it. When I used the GEQ to dial the Crunch channel, I could get it decent, but the EQ bands were off from where they'd need to be for me to get it where I wanted, plus, the EQ was then not usable for other channels in those settings, so channel switching was compromised. If I dialed that channel for crunchy rhythm, switching to C3 for a lead tone was sketchy because the EQ was set for the Crunch channel and didn't work well for leads.

I guess overall, I wanted to be able to dial all three channels to something great, but since the GEQ was so integral to dialing tones, you'd dial something really good on one channel, then go the next channel and those settings wouldn't work with it. In fact, this is specifically why there are two GEQs on the JP2C. So that C2 and C3 could both be dialed to exactly what you want.

And lastly, not to just blast off on the V, it worked great with older PRS guitars and other higher output pickup guitars (like my JP12 BFR) but not as great with the new, lower output, (more full range) guitars. My guitars with NF3, 57/08 and 59/09 never sounded as good (even though the pickups were arguably better) as my older C22, the JP12, etc. The extra high end of those pickups was ice picky... and dialing it out made it sound dull. I had all this beautiful extended high end available from the guitar, but I just couldn't make it work well with that amp. (Hind site being 20/20, perhaps I could have tried more speakers and found something that made it work).
I never used the graphic EQ on my Mark V. It was the most superfluous control on the amp. Five bands aren't precise enough -- the "Q" is too wide to be useful. I also find that every added control is a tone-sucker, so I switched it completely out of the circuit. Thus switching channels was never a problem.

But then again, I tweak the settings on my amps every time I play a different guitar, and often just to make them sit better in a given track.

I had mine in 2013-14 until I got the HXDA. It worked fine with that era PRS (I was mostly playing a CU22 Semi-hollow with - I'm going only by memory - 57/08 pickups, and they're still my favorite pickups, have them in my McCarty SC).

We all like different tones, and I'd never say that what works for me should work for anyone else.

Lol! Yeah, I mean, I think we all bought the V for the CII+ mode.
Yeah, seriously figured that if I got that plus two other good channels, it was my holy grail amp. I think that at the end, I could have lived with that amp forever. It's not that it wasn't good, it was. But I expected it to be my dream amp and to just blow me away every time I turned it on, and it was disappointed not that it wasn't good or very good, but that it wasn't great. And once the Archon came to town, it just wasn't going to get played much, so...

Lol! Yeah, I mean, I think we all bought the V for the CII+ mode.
I didn't. I bought it for the Tweed mode on the clean channel, which sounded great. Everything else was an optional icing-on-cake deal. In fact, after I sold it, one reason I got the Lone Star was because the Mark V's Tweed channel was supposedly based on it. I kinda missed it, even though it didn't sound Tweed, more black panel.

I didn't. I bought it for the Tweed mode on the clean channel, which sounded great. Everything else was an optional icing-on-cake deal. In fact, after I sold it, one reason I got the Lone Star was because the Mark V's Tweed channel was supposedly based on it. I kinda missed it, even though it didn't sound Tweed, more black panel.
Well okay, one guy didn’t.

Yeah, I remember you saying lots nice things about Pettyjohn before.
It sounds very 'studio gear' which is nice. The turnover selectors are at points where they work well with amps and guitars. I like it a lot - but of course, choices of gear are so personal!

So many pros use the Boss Graphic EQ!

When I had a rack system, I used a Rane dual 15 band EQ that sounded pretty nice - but the Boss graphic EQ sounded great, too.

It sounds very 'studio gear' which is nice. The turnover selectors are at points where they work well with amps and guitars. I like it a lot - but of course, choices of gear are so personal!

So many pros use the Boss Graphic EQ!

When I had a rack system, I used a Rane dual 15 band EQ that sounded pretty nice - but the Boss graphic EQ sounded great, too.

I dont like the GE7, it's a noise factory. But EQ200 is a whole different league. I don't really understand parametric EQs, but I bet it's a decent piece of gear

Speaking of EQ's, One mustn't forget The Empress Para-Eq.
I know you told me... and it's got to be great. I must be getting old though. Spending that much for a pedal makes me cringe.

F@ckin’ oyster crackers are $7?!?!!!

Like, not even premium name brand ones, or even a big @ss package. It seems like $7 is the new $3.
Your $7 is my $10.
They used to just shrink packages, now they shrink the package and still raise the price.
I hate having to use pink money every time I walk into a grocery store.

Back