Amp COMBO suitable for Student Edition PRS guitars

tyt921

Hey guys,

Just got this new PRS SE Custom 24. I love the sound of it, its got layers of character that I cant really describe with words. However, upon comparing this so called 500 dollar guitar with my 99 bucks ESP starter guitar F-10, through my one and only amp that came with the starter set. I realzed that when I played distortion the guitars tone was thinner and very empty compared to my $99 ESP starter guitar. I am not sure if my starter guitar had 10 Gauge strings, but it did feel the strings were way thicker and harder press. Ether way, I am in market for a new amp. I only play at home and dont plan to gig or anything. I want a high quality AMP that will get me that fullness of this guitar. Right now with the starter AMP, I am quite unhappy with the sound it makes.

I tried the Blackstar HT5R today, it sounds great. Very full tone, high price range (499) however, when it came to distortion, the tech guy at the Guitar center had to use a distortion pedal to make the guitar (was using a prs SC Custom 24 at the moment) really roar/shred. I also tried an old beat up old marshal, which i loved the sounds, but they had no new ones in stock. I also tried an Orange Crush Pix CR35LDX.... I Just dont know because the price ranges very differently for each and I have a feeling that for a begginner I dont know what the heck I want!

Looking to get something around 300 less than 400, as 400 would be my max. Wouldnt really want to go through the trouble of getting a cabinet etc. I just wanna good quality combo set ...any advice would be appreciated thanks!

I've heard some good things about Jet City amps in your price range. Also, take your guitar to the store and have the tech file the nut and put a set of 10's on, it'll fatten up your tone.

Did they have a Blackstar ID series there?
Plenty of distortion and high gain, much more than the HT5R.
I own both, and I do not use the HT5 anymore.

I have both the ID 30 combo with 1x12, and a ID 60 watt head into a 4x12 or 2x12, both ID amps sound very nice.

I also have the Orange Micro Terror, but do not use it anymore after getting the two Blackstar ID amps.

I only play at home, and maybe one day jam out with some friends, so tubes are not really important to me.
I have a nice tube amp, but the Blackstars get all the playing time now.
If playing at home, a nice solid state amp is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did they have a Blackstar ID series there?
Plenty of distortion and high gain, much more than the HT5R.
I own both, and I do not use the HT5 anymore.

I have both the ID 30 combo with 1x12, and a ID 60 watt head into a 4x12 or 2x12, both ID amps sound very nice.

I also have the Orange Micro Terror, but do not use it anymore after getting the two Blackstar ID amps.

I only play at home, and maybe one day jam out with some friends, so tubes are not really important to me.
I have a nice tube amp, but the Blackstars get all the playing time now.
If playing at home, a nice solid state amp is fine.

Great suggestions there guys. I have a confusion though. I was made to believe that adding cabinets would just increase volume? Because I just play by myself and prob wont ever join a band or gig lol!

I guess I havent stated that I am actually a beginner. I am not sure if I should get an amp + cabinet, because it might be too costly or maybe even unecessary. Combo would be more ideal...But I kind of get where you guys are getting at. If the total doesnt go over 350-400...I guess its okay! 400 being the absolute maxmium! The important part is the sound and tone quality.

I did See a BlackStar ID-1 lol...umm not even sure if its worth trying, I think it was 99 bucks! But I saw the video posted just above my post here, and they sound amazing!!! Not sure if its the player or the amp, because I absolutely suck. Been playing for 1 month or so.

I also am beginner and only play/practice at home and have a SE CU24. I got a Vox VT20+ modeling amp. great amp for home playing and I can get lots of tones out of it as I dont have any pedals. I would suggest going back to GC and try one. they should have them in stock. Also this amp is way more than loud enough for my living room.

Dang it, lost mg post.
I hate typing on phones.
The ID 30.can get all tones turned down low, and get loud enough to jam with others.

Mine is on the far right next to the TV.
The bigger 60 watt head and 4x12.cab is overkill.

11.jpg

I'm very impressed with the Blackstar ID stuff. It's among the better modeled stuff out there.

Les, have you tried one in person too?
I wish I had done more research when I got back into guitars again spring of 2012.
That Carvin 50 watt head is overkill for me, and I can not turn it up loud enough to get the tubes cooking like it should.
What I like about the ID stuff is I can get a great tone with it turned way down.

The Carvin has a master volume too besides a volume for each of its three channels, but playing it low is not doing it justice.
It wants to be unleashed and turned up.
Ahhhh, maybe one day when I move I can crank it :D

Egnater Tweaker 15w combo if you must have a combo
I have the head and cab below really like it much easier to carry.
Nice all tube amp with an effects loop being able to change all the tubes and the many setting it has is great.

Les, have you tried one in person too?

I haven't yet. I heard one at a friend's and thought it was a lot better than other modelers I've heard.

That Carvin 50 watt head is overkill for me, and I can not turn it up loud enough to get the tubes cooking like it should.
What I like about the ID stuff is I can get a great tone with it turned way down.

My 50 watt HXDA sounds absolutely great with the master turned down. It's all about the individual amp design when it comes to that stuff. You don't have to mess with the controls to make that happen, just turn the master down. I've recorded the amp and gotten good tone with the master as low as 8-9 o'clock, volumes you could easily have a conversation over.

The DG30 sounds a bit different lower. Still good, but you have to then reset the amp and the timbre changes. So it's not simply a matter of turning the master down.

I'm always going to be a tube guy. But it's nice to hear a modeler that sounds good, too!

Well, since I have two ID amps already, I bought another one today.
It is slightly smaller than my 30 watt combo, I got the 15 watt one.
Will be leaving this one at work to jam with.

Here is an PRS S2 Starla through one.

Hmm, what do all these demo guys have in common?

Do you have to shave your head in order to play one?

I wholeheartedly second Mike's suggestion of the Egnater Tweaker. There're just so many tube bending, crazy options available for the money. Don't know if you're a Vox, Marshall, or Fender guy? Well, you can figure it out with the Tweaker. Wanna try a Vox style tone stack with a Marshall power stage? No prob. Now, if you're searching for metal and big chugga, you're outta luck with this amp but if not, you owe it to yourself to try it out several times. WAY better than any modeling amp out there. You've bought an esoteric guitar, you owe yourself an esoteric amp. (In the spirit of full disclosure, I suggested the same thing to my son and he grabbed the 40W version. He is totally loving it and now needs more speaker cabs and tubes for more options. It's addictive!)

Now, if you're searching for metal and big chugga, you're outta luck with this amp but if not, you owe it to yourself to try it out several times. WAY better than any modeling amp out there. You've bought an esoteric guitar, you owe yourself an esoteric amp

Then again, if you want an esoteric amp, as good as the Tweaker is - and this is no disrespect to Bruce Egnater who is a great guy and a superb amp designer - with PRS amps, you go into another level of tone and quality entirely.

I've played through the Tweaker, and tweaked on the Tweaker, and there really isn't a comparison. Sorry, there just isn't. They're mini-amps compared to a real deal PRS.

So if what you want is the full on thing, PRS has some very good solutions. The Sweet 16 is one of them. And even though they're more money, PRS amps are absolute bargains for the quality you get.

I am just starting over again after not picking up a guitar for 25 yrs plus. Got a SE custom 24 and a Fender Mustang. Has plenty of basic classic fenders and some other classic tube amps (marshall, vox etc) modeled quite well from what I have read to include many other programs based on those models. I can choose a clean and a dirty channel and switch between the two with the foot switch. Price is in the range you are looking for.

Yes I would love a tube amp but not sure what one just yet and most re out of my price range like you.

Guy's, these tube amps are great suggestions, but the topic starter is only playing at home like a lot of us on the board do.
A lot of these modeling amps are just fine for home use, especially if you never plan on gigging out.
I do this as a hobby only at home, may jam with friends in the future, but will never be playing gig style.

Then again, if you want an esoteric amp, as good as the Tweaker is - and this is no disrespect to Bruce Egnater who is a great guy and a superb amp designer - with PRS amps, you go into another level of tone and quality entirely.
I totally agree, Les. So much so, I followed that same advice. :biggrin: But in the interest of the lower cost amp options topic, I've gone straight to Egnater.
Guy's, these tube amps are great suggestions, but the topic starter is only playing at home like a lot of us on the board do.
A lot of these modeling amps are just fine for home use, especially if you never plan on gigging out.
I do this as a hobby only at home, may jam with friends in the future, but will never be playing gig style.
I totally get that, Corey, and that's why I'm saying that you can get all the genuine tube magic in a lower budget package. A Used Tweaker 15 is very reasonable (about $300), and for my $$, is one of the best bang-for-the-buck buys out there. The bad news? It's a gateway drug to something even more flexible...like a Sweet 16! ;)

Back