Amp COMBO suitable for Student Edition PRS guitars

I noticed that the id series is now priced lower. Does anyone know if an update is coming soon? I think I want to try one out, but would wait a bit if there is something new on the horizon. I did search, but didn't come up with anything.

I noticed that the id series is now priced lower. Does anyone know if an update is coming soon? I think I want to try one out, but would wait a bit if there is something new on the horizon. I did search, but didn't come up with anything.

Other than the ID:Core series that is on the market now, there are currently no word on any new ID:Series models. With the new lower price, Blackstar is only encouraging you to buy one :)! As an owner of an ID:30, I highly recommend this amp for practice, recording and gigging (using the line out to the PA).

I have the ID:30 and the footswitch..As a 3+ years student/bedroom player I love it. I wont use as many sounds as it will allow but a clean, crunch, lead etc are a foot click away.

The software that COMES with the amp is great too. It lets you download patches from the Bstar community and store them locally, also lets you import backing tracks, slow them down, loop a section for practice.

So I was getting close to making a decision, with the Blackstar ID in the lead, but someone suggested the Line 6 Spider Jam. It seems that it is just as beloved as the Blackstar ID's. Anyone play one? The ability to easily record to the amp seems like a great feature.

As far as Blackstar goes, I really dig the Club 40.

The ID series are digital amps, incredibly complicated circuits, very difficult to work on, and possibly very hard to get fixed.

I keep two things in mind when I look at new amps, dependability and fixability. These two factors determine how long I will be owning an amp, especially if I really like it - I want to be able to get it fixed at a reasonable cost.

Long standing, proven circuit designs tend to be reliable and very fixable, as well as easy to work on.

Tube amps have a sound to them that a large percentage of players appreciate.

A rule of thumb is to be prepared to spend as much on your amp as you did on your guitar. So if you spent 700 plus on your guitar there are some very nice amps available for that price.

Check out the Marshall all tube DSL40C combo in that range. A Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue is a little more but a very great amp that takes pedals well. Big names like these have reputations to stand up to and Fender offers a five year warranty on their amps; this is worth something, believe me. Amps like these are designed along the lines of proven long standing circuit designs that can be replaced and fixed well into the future by authorized warranty repair shops. Most good amp dudes will be able to fix them affordably when they are out of warranty.

Think about getting a highly digital, super complex amp with a unique an often proprietary circuit design fixed when it's out of warranty.

I personally like to get a very decent tube amp that has a great clean channel and that takes pedals well. I don't need all the effects and amp modeling on board. It very much complicates things. The tube Marshall type amps are also based on long standing circuit designs that have been modified over the different models, but remain very similar in design. Any good amp man will be able to work on a Marshall tube amp for a long time to come. The parts will be readily available and the schematics will be well known and familiar.

These are the types of things I look for in a decent tube amp.

I have a Valvetronics Vox VT30 that is a hybrid and I dig it, but it has amp models and effects that are not really of the nature of the things they are supposed to be copying. I have not had problems with the amp and it is fun to play with. I would not consider it a serious amp.

For the less expensive decent tube amps I like the Fender Blues Junior, the Vox AC15c1, and the Peavey Classic 30. There are others as well that crank out great sounds for not too much of an out lay. The more you spend on the big names as you move above these amps result in you getting more power, more clean headroom, and a variety, often, of clean and overdriven all tube voices. For instance the Marshall DSL40C combo has two clean voices and two drive voices. A lot of the Fenders stick to the classic designs but sound really beautiful and allow the sound of your guitar to really sparkle. Some of the Fenders have two or more channels and also sound good, but it seems that Marshall has the channel switching amps sounding really good.

Check out a Marshall DSL40C combo and don't be afraid to turn it up a little and play with the gain and volume blend knobs. It can sound very good at low volumes with a beautiful breakup or rattle the windows with that classic roar we all like so much.

I try to look at tried and true amps with long standing circuits that are dependable and fixable - foremost.

Back