Amp COMBO suitable for Student Edition PRS guitars

Guy's, these tube amps are great suggestions, but the topic starter is only playing at home like a lot of us on the board do.
A lot of these modeling amps are just fine for home use, especially if you never plan on gigging out.
I do this as a hobby only at home, may jam with friends in the future, but will never be playing gig style.

I absolutely understand. Horses for courses, and of course it's all a matter of taste and preference!

One advantage of your amps is that they can do lots of different-sounding things, where the Sweet 16 does what it does but can't cop all the variety. I think it's cool that you've landed on something you really enjoy, and that you've gotten more of 'em!

I'm starting to be that way with the PRS amps...hmmm....maybe you and I have a lot in common! Don't we sport pretty much the same 408? ;)

Last edited:
I totally agree, Les. So much so, I followed that same advice. :biggrin: But in the interest of the lower cost amp options topic, I've gone straight to Egnater.

I totally get that, Corey, and that's why I'm saying that you can get all the genuine tube magic in a lower budget package. A Used Tweaker 15 is very reasonable (about $300), and for my $$, is one of the best bang-for-the-buck buys out there. The bad news? It's a gateway drug to something even more flexible...like a Sweet 16! ;)

I like Bruce. He's a Detroit guy, plus he's my former law partner's cousin.

But I'm addicted to PRS amps, so...yeah. :)

Hi Guys,

Threadstarter here, sorry been late for the reples, I literally went to every Guitar Center and other local shops by my area and tried out every Blackstar, Most fender Amps, Orange Amps + cabinets, and even a Marshal model which cost about 599 or 499 forgot. All the amps sounded the same except the BlackStar Club 40 and Orange Amps.

So far what impresses me the most was the Blackstar Club 40, which for a newbie, I noticed the clean clear tone right away I didnt find on the other amps. Other Amps when you play, its got this not very clear muffled sound. Its not letting the sound out I feel like. So the local dealer, came up to me when I told him I was a beginner and wanted to purchase the Club 40, he said it was an overkill.

Now I am back to square one. I may get the Micro Terror set by Orange since its cheap and it sounded good. My original budget was about 400-500. Still looking,in fact maybe going to guitar center again today to try other amps.

Hey Les, yes, our 408s are almost twins :D
Boogie, have not seen or heard the Egnator in person yet.

Les, that is exactly what I like about these Blackstar ID amps, they have many voices.

Ty, did you get to try out the Blackstar ID series amps like I have.
The 15 watt one I bought yesterday was $300, and the 30 watt one in my picture earlier in this thread was $400.

If you have not tried the ID ones yet, you owe it to yourself to try one.
It can go from clear cleans to full metal high gain chugging territory.
I guess that is why I am really impressed with them to have three of them.

Hey Les, yes, our 408s are almost twins :D
Boogie, have not seen or heard the Egnator in person yet.

Les, that is exactly what I like about these Blackstar ID amps, they have many voices.

Ty, did you get to try out the Blackstar ID series amps like I have.
The 15 watt one I bought yesterday was $300, and the 30 watt one in my picture earlier in this thread was $400.

If you have not tried the ID ones yet, you owe it to yourself to try one.
It can go from clear cleans to full metal high gain chugging territory.
I guess that is why I am really impressed with them to have three of them.

Hey cory,

I have not tried the ID's yet but heard great things about them. Is there ant difference between the id15 vs id30 with exception of being able to be louder? Would u take the ID 15/30 over the ht5r combo?

I bought a fender mustang 1 before version 2 with all the presets and found them to be too confusing for 1, and 2 i only used 2 or 3 settings of the 24 presets...

Will give the ID's a go though. Or else im just gonna get a used orange 35ldx crush combo amp. Or the micro terror with that tiny 6 inch speaker which i have reserve about due to the size of the speaker..

Here's one from left field. I use Tech 21 products while gigging, and have 3 models they make. Buck for Buck, the trademark 30 is the best in its class to me. It"s analog Transistor, and you can get almost any sound from it. It can melt your face and is good at whisper volumes. It also weighs 15 pounds. Go to www.tech21nyc.com and listen to the sound samples under the trademark 60. All three models sound just like that. It'll do brilliant distortion without any pedals. The 4/10 Trademark 60 is my desert island amp, and weighs in at a whopping 44 lbs, half the weight of a Super Reverb with 4/10's. My harp player just got one for his harp amp. They also make a great shoulder bag for the amp if you want to play with friends. They're also made in the USA.

Hey cory,

I have not tried the ID's yet but heard great things about them. Is there ant difference between the id15 vs id30 with exception of being able to be louder? Would u take the ID 15/30 over the ht5r combo?

I bought a fender mustang 1 before version 2 with all the presets and found them to be too confusing for 1, and 2 i only used 2 or 3 settings of the 24 presets...

Will give the ID's a go though. Or else im just gonna get a used orange 35ldx crush combo amp. Or the micro terror with that tiny 6 inch speaker which i have reserve about due to the size of the speaker..
The 15 will not arrive until Tuesday, but with the smaller 10" speaker and less wattage, it will not get as loud, but still sound great.

I had a Fender Mustang One revision 1, and I was not overly impressed with it.
Sold it to a guy at work.

I would take any of the ID amps over the HT5R head or combo.
This is why my HT5R head is sitting in the spare bedroom right now.
My Micro Terror is also sitting in the spare bedroom.
I just feel the ID amps are a better value and sound better.
I cannot wait to rock out with the ID 15 at work.
I start early enough in the day I can crank it up and jam out very loud before I have to start work, and I will not be disturbing anyone there.

With out putting too much of a spanner in the works I have a Fender Mustang III v2 and after spending a little time making the amp types that suite my tastes (removing all the 80's metal sounds they seem to default to) it makes for a very versatile set up, after trying the B/Star ID amps I would say they replicate tube tones a little better but the Fender is a little more tunable......for me anyhow.

And the nice thing about the Fender it has an effects loop and the 2 & 4 button foot switch options so you can really add to the set up if you want to play live it also has the ability to straight in to a PA also..

just my 2p.:wink:

Ty, here is Paul Glover using a PRS guitar through the ID 15 like I have one order which arrives today.
This is the smallest of the ID range.
Paul demos a lot of gear including PRS guitars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

I am back once again! I just want to update you guys. I havent had a chance this week to go try out the ID yet, but I have finally decided to not whimp out and change the strings on my PRS from .09 gauge to .10 gauge. AND I MUST SAY THIS, this actually solved my problem I had this with guitar earlier. The light weight sound, twangy, high tone is GONE for good. The new strings I used where D'Addarios .10 XL. They added this hefty weight to the strings that makes the sound resonate MUCH BETTER. I LOVE it right now. ONE SMALL issues though After install the strings, I noticed slight buzz on the LOW E string....when I let go a the string too slow or dont press hard enough, the string will buzz. this also happens on few frets, not too many. I hope i dont have to get it for a full set up. I already actually opened up the back, and added a spring that came with the guitar because the tremolo bridge was tiled to the neck by ALOT. From there I adjusted the screwed on the springs as well to make it level and sit flat on the guitar and made sure it was even on both sides.

Cory > in regards to the ID15. I am more and more intrigued about this vs the ID30. I hope when you find time to fiddle around with it let me know your thoughts. If im spending 300+ on an Amp. I certainly dont mind spending a bit extra to get the bang for the buck because for me, sound quality is absolute top priority not really the volume because I literally play at whisper levels lol. To me I really need an amp to deliever clarity. I played several amps that sounded muffled, unclear, and too clouded, I was unable to hear the detail of my tone. I also heard that when you get the ID60, the sound improves just like the jump from a Mustang 1 to the Mustang 3, is that true? I appreciate all your thoughts, and look forward to you reply!

At work, and will check throughout the day! Thanks all!!!

Last edited:
I am just starting over again after not picking up a guitar for 25 yrs plus. Got a SE custom 24 and a Fender Mustang. Has plenty of basic classic fenders and some other classic tube amps (marshall, vox etc) modeled quite well from what I have read to include many other programs based on those models. I can choose a clean and a dirty channel and switch between the two with the foot switch. Price is in the range you are looking for.

Yes I would love a tube amp but not sure what one just yet and most re out of my price range like you.

I also just picked up a Fender Mustang. I absolutely love it. It is amazing how far solid state has come. Certainly not quite there, but you could mistake some of the tones for tube. Highly recommend.

Kevin

Ty, I can tell you right now the ID 15 will have less lower end due to the 10" speaker verses the 12" speaker in the ID 30.
If you think you may ever jam with some friends somewhere and also with a drummer, go for the ID 30.

And the 60 is much louder of course, especially since I am running it through a 4x12 cab.
Lots more low end punch.
But the 30 has lots of punch too when turned up.

Read some of those comments in the YouTube videos, many are very impressed with the ID amps, and some have ditched their tube amps of the 60 or 100 watt ID heads.
I would like to hear Les's impression by playing his friends ID amp that he mentioned above.

Mine arrived today, and I will bring it into work tomorrow, but I have to start 1.5 hours earlier than normal, but I am going to try and play it still after breakfast at work.
At 2 am I do not think I will be bothering anyone at work :D
There are a few in flight training classes upstairs, but I do not think the sound will carry.
I am going to crank that baby full bore.

images_maninchair.jpg

Yeah youtube comments, your inputs and some other people on google really set me on buying the ID series. For the extra hundred might as well go with the 30. But I wanna get your impressions first of the 15. Either way dont rush take your time, appreciate the help :)

Do you guys always cut a big open space on all your amps/speakers/combo to let the sound out? Should i go ahead and do that to my ID15/30 when i get it??

Thanks!

Owww, my ears :D
I just got done playing it, and I did not have it up all the way, got too much feedback even with its built in noise gate on OD 1 and 2.
Yes, OD 1 and 2 have a noise gate that keeps the amp silent unless you play it.
I had it maybe turned up half way with both the volume and the master volume, and it was ear deafening.

However if you are going to play sometimes with a drummer or others, I would go for the 30 as it has a little more low end due to the bigger speaker.
I am using a 10' cable, and I had to sit all the way back and I wished I had a 20' cable with me, it was that loud.

What do you mean by cutting open a bigger space?
Modifying the cabinet?
Never done that, do not see a need to.

I do know some have taken out the stock speaker on these and installed a Celestion speaker in it for even better sound.
One guy also took off the closed rear cover and cut it in half to make it a partial open back.

I am impressed with the 15 watt one, but I like the tighter low end of the 30 better.

Maybe this can help you decide.
Rob is using the 15, and Lee is using the 30.
Lee is getting very good, UI really like his playing near the end of the video when it is just him and a backing track.

Owww, my ears :D
I just got done playing it, and I did not have it up all the way, got too much feedback even with its built in noise gate on OD 1 and 2.
Yes, OD 1 and 2 have a noise gate that keeps the amp silent unless you play it.
I had it maybe turned up half way with both the volume and the master volume, and it was ear deafening.

However if you are going to play sometimes with a drummer or others, I would go for the 30 as it has a little more low end due to the bigger speaker.
I am using a 10' cable, and I had to sit all the way back and I wished I had a 20' cable with me, it was that loud.

What do you mean by cutting open a bigger space?
Modifying the cabinet?
Never done that, do not see a need to.

I do know some have taken out the stock speaker on these and installed a Celestion speaker in it for even better sound.
One guy also took off the closed rear cover and cut it in half to make it a partial open back.

I am impressed with the 15 watt one, but I like the tighter low end of the 30 better.

Maybe this can help you decide.
Rob is using the 15, and Lee is using the 30.
Lee is getting very good, UI really like his playing near the end of the video when it is just him and a backing track.

I think I am going with the 30W just to be safe since its only 100 dollar difference. Thank you for your report Cory. I actually also found a Blackstar Studio 20 for 400 on craigslist. If the both were the same price would you also pick the ID? Just curious if you tried this amp, because though the Bigger brother Club 40 was a bit more clean and crisp, the Studio 20 when I played it, was pretty darn good. Have you had exp with the Stuido 20 yet?

Thanks!

You are welcome.

Have not had any experience with the Club ones.
Are they tube?
If they are like the HT5R, they will not get a great metal high gain, and that is where the modeling part of the ID series comes into play.
My favorite video of the ID series is the one in post #4, that will show you all the cool tones the amp is capable of.

You are welcome.

Have not had any experience with the Club ones.
Are they tube?
If they are like the HT5R, they will not get a great metal high gain, and that is where the modeling part of the ID series comes into play.
My favorite video of the ID series is the one in post #4, that will show you all the cool tones the amp is capable of.

Yeah the club 40 is a tube Amp. I am not like a total expert on it, I just know it contains a tube and that its HUGE. and HEAVY!!! You know whats so difficult about this hobby?

Its the slight differences between these AMPs that I cant hear that make that choice or buying an amp harder than anything. Sure the Club 40 sounded great, but a friend showed me I could achieve similar quality through different settings on the Studio 20 and the HT5R. the truth is I cant tell the difference. I am most likely gonna get a pedal anyway, so distortion isnt at the top of my list. The way the prices are set gets to me. You keep thinking that the 399 will suffice, 499 for the ID60....but the 599 studio is only 100 bucks more, and the 699 HT club 40 is just around the corner. This kind of math makes my decision so hard, because I want to get the best outta my buck ya know? I think I will go and try the ID30 and just wrap it up if it sounds good. I am tired of hunting around.

Cool, I hope you like the ID.
Sorry to tell you though, and I think many here will confirm it, it does not end at just one amp or guitar.
Soon you will get a huge case of GAS and want another guitar, another amp, many one pedal, then two, then you need a power supply and a pedal board to hold your now growing collection of pedals.

It is a disease, and there really is no cure for GAS.
When I got back into guitars after a 30 year break back in 2012 I thought the 2012 Gibson SG '61 Reissue and the Carvin V3M amp and 2x12 would suffice.
Little did I know I was wrong, and soon got into PRS guitars and acquiring even more guitars and amps and pedals.

Before you know it, your home stars looking like a music store wall :D
You should see some of the guy's walls on here of their collections, pretty amazing.

Back