Amp choice...

Valid point!

I believe that the answer to your question is that the SS volume knobs are replicating the volume knobs on the tube amp, i.e. they are really "gain" knobs." The difference is subtle. You get different tone, and not just different "loudness" by tweaking them. So the true SS Tube Emulator "loudness" adjustment is the variable power switch (0.5W, 15W, etc.) just like for a tube amp, how a variac would work.
^^This^^
I have a Blues Cube Hot, Boss Drive Special version. IMHO, Roland has done a superb job with emulating this.

^^This^^
I have a Blues Cube Hot, Boss Drive Special version. IMHO, Roland has done a superb job with emulating this.

Roland is an innovative company that makes great products often, and then inexplicably discards them instead of developing them. Yet they’ve persisted with their guitar stuff, and incrementally improved it, which is good.

They’ve made classic studio gear and abandoned it, like the Dimension D (40 years later they’ve kinda reintroduced the concept in a pedal), the DM-80, their reverbs, etc. Their analog and early digital synths were among the very best; the later stuff became an increasingly generic rehash of their superb D-50.

Hard to figure them out!

Back