Amp advice

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by bigcountry, May 31, 2019.

1. pac90

pac90 In Helix Land, the waters warm

and just because......

sergiodeblanc and bigcountry like this.
  2. bigcountry

bigcountry New Member

Play on my username? Lol. Old call sign from the Corps. Had a SSgt dub me that nickname and it hung around my whole time.

3. bigcountry

bigcountry New Member

Any reason you recommend the 40 version over the 15 Tweaker?

#23 bigcountry, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  4. bigcountry

bigcountry New Member

I do have the 1x12 still; held onto that at least.

Definitely considering the Boss. It’s at the top of the heap right now with the Egnater

5. Black Plaid

Black Plaid just another Alan

I would definitely go with the Boss, they make great stuff, never been disappointed with anything of theirs I've ever gotten.

6. CandidPicker

CandidPicker Open-Ears / Zippered Lips

The tube complement. 2x6L6 vs ?x6V6. Warmer cleans, the added preamp stage of the 40W tone IMHO sounds better to my ears. Tighter bass, better EQ controls.

With the 15W, less headroom, quicker time to amp breakup, less versatility. And, the 15W sounds "thinner", not as rich or full.

To many, tone is everything, the 40W, IMHO, just "sounds better and pushes more air." An 1x12 8 ohm 80 or 100W RMS speaker cab would go perfectly with the 40W. Check out the Eminence Patriot Red/White/Blue sound clips on their website.

#26 CandidPicker, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    bigcountry likes this.
  7. bigcountry

bigcountry New Member

I gotcha. I’m looking at the 40 now; and I think I am covered as my 1x12 is loaded with a v30

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

“Be true to your teeth and they won’t be false to you.”

— Soupy Sales, 1956

sergiodeblanc, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  9. CandidPicker

Just be sure to check the RMS wattage of the V30. IIRC, my combo amp is 35W RMS but had a V30 previously...I think you'll be good with the V30 RMS...

...Am partial to the Eminence Patriot Red/White/Blue 100W for improved headroom, and also the Celestion Neodynium Vintage G12 80W, for lighter weight. My combo currently has the Celestion in it, and makes it easier to lift/carry the amp.

LSchefman likes this.
  10. CandidPicker

And "If life gives you melons, maybe you're dyslexic."

And CP has a dental cleaning this week. This'll be fun...:rolleyes::oops::eek:

#30 CandidPicker, Jun 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

V30s are 60 Watt speakers, so no worries.

Alnus Rubra and CandidPicker like this.
  12. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules There will never be another

13. CandidPicker

Les,

You wouldn't happen to know the peak wattage of the V30, would you? (Too busy to google presently)

LSchefman likes this.
  14. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I don’t.

15. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

You’ve been taking lessons from Alexa!:D

16. DreamTheaterRules

Have they ever even given them that kind of rating? Normally "peak" ratings are more associated with the bogus stuff. Or, well, you know what I mean... FRFR's that show no continuous RMS rating but show "2000 watts peak" and that kind of nonsense. "Peak wattage," "peak dB ratings" etc are usually at least exaggerated and many times WAY exaggerated, and totally unachievable in any real world usage conditions. One FRFR claiming 131dB peak output, was tested by a professional at TGP and it couldn't get over 122dB with any test they tried in the lab, even for a split second burst.

17. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

There is no way to specify peak power without lots of conditionals. For example "power measured in 10 nanoseconds with an input pulse of 1ns risetime and 50V peak". Peak power always presumes a defined input, usually a pulse. RMS is much more useful because it only requires the average power, no information about frequency content or crest factor is required.

If you are concerned about the transitional nature of guitar, you would have to specify a pulse, and then run the test yourself as I doubt you'll find that data online. RMS will tell you when you melt the speaker, peak will tell you when the coil jumps out of the magnet.

veinbuster likes this.
  18. DreamTheaterRules

Exactly! One tester at TGP did some calculations and said something like "for this FRFR to reach it's quoted peak power output and SPL, you 110v wall outlet would have to be running at about 147 volts." Hence my "bogus" remark above. It's all marketing BS and most of it, to anyone who knows what the real stuff means, means NOTHING.

They are definitely doing burst type ratings and since most of the amps are Class D, they can't come close to sustaining that power, unlike a Class A/B SS amp for example. And, given the transformer and voltage to do so, most tube amps can easily put out more sustained wattage than they are rated at. Oh, and many of the Class D amps are rated at 10% THD. Not 1%. Not .1%. Not .001% TEN PERCENT!

In other words, "Marketing BS!" (yes, I'm in a bad mood today! I need a new job. This one is making me sick)

19. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

There are some good deals on the PRS 2 Channel H , I really like mine at any volume it mates nicely with the 1x12 I have it going into, a nice change of pace to the MKV

veinbuster likes this.
  20. CandidPicker

Wasn't aware of that. Just hoped to provide @bigcountry with some leeway regards what would nominally work with a 40W amp. If 60W RMS is the V30 power handling capability, that info might be enough to work with.

P.S. Take a Midol. I hear it works wonders on toothaches, too. :)

You must have taken some good courses in college and received some good on-the-job training. This is all Greek to an electronics newb.