Amp Advice: What To Trade For?

El Fenix

Looking for wise advice on what amp to get/trade for, if any.

Storytime:
We have 2 small kids, and not great neighbors, - so loud amps through cabs are out of the question for now. I have:
-Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
-Marshall 6100LM & 2x12 cab

I just got a Two Notes Captor X and figure I can trade to get whatever amp I really want. The Deluxe Reverb has no master volume (MV) so it sounds great on about 4.5 but its loud by then. The Marshall is a great amp with a MV but seems to be a maintenance hog.

I've always loved the Marshall 1959/2203 sounds. The sound those big amps got are iconic. Huge Jimmy Page fan here.
Also a fan of the Vox/Matchless chimey mid-gain kinda tones.

My question:
If can choose ANY amp, and not make the neighbors mad with the Captor X - Do I just sell the other amps and get a JMP style 1987 or 2204 MV amp?
Dr. Z amps? Germino? Rockett Retro? HDRX 20?

Lots of good choices. If you like the 2203 and can find one, do it. If the Captor X doesn't float your boat with it, there's always the Universal Audio OX.
I watched a bunch of A/B videos on the two before buying. Not sure I can justify the 2x price of the OX Box.
I got the Captor X on sale form Sweetwater.

Since you've mentioned amps up in this price range (Dr. Z, Germino, etc.), I would advise that the Carr Mercury V can do excellent "plexi" (and otherwise) tones all day long--and did I mention it's got a phenomenal built-in attenuator that allows you to run at bedroom volumes?

There’s a sweet looking paisley HXDA and 2x12 cab on Reverb right now. No better Plexi-toned amp around, IMO. It has a MV, but also sounds great attenuated (I use the aforementioned Ox Box). Not a cheap amp, but a lifetime-type keeper for lovers of classic rock tone.

The new HDRX 20 has sounded pretty darned good, as a less costly option. At a third the price of that HXDA, it might fit your needs more directly.

There’s a sweet looking paisley HXDA and 2x12 cab on Reverb right now. No better Plexi-toned amp around, IMO. It has a MV, but also sounds great attenuated (I use the aforementioned Ox Box). Not a cheap amp, but a lifetime-type keeper for lovers of classic rock tone.

The new HDRX 20 has sounded pretty darned good, as a less costly option. At a third the price of that HXDA, it might fit your needs more directly.

Dangit! Of course someone would come along and put a paisley HXDA up for sale, right after I get the HDRX!!!

@El Fenix , yes, do try the HDRX 20 if you can find one. Despite the bit of bellyaching I've done wishing the HDRX 20 was Maryland made, it's probably the best import amp I've owned in terms of sound quality, noise floor, and sheer volume in spite of the power rating. The short story, in a nutshell, of the HDRX - it's a take on the fatter side of Plexi sounds. I think that makes it more versatile, in terms of having fuller cleans, being able to use single coil guitars and/or open back cabs more easily, but it really depends on what you're after. Look at other things, too - there are a lot of amps out there! Just wouldn't want you to go without trying it, given the things you say you like. If you want a Plexi sound that has a ton of "bark" like AC/DC, etc., a 2203/2204 or 20 watt Studio Vintage might be more up your alley.

The 2203/2204 thing is cool, but I would keep practicality in mind if you look at new amps - if you ever want to think about gigging or jamming with friends, those big amps are probably out of the question, they're just too darn loud. Even with the HDRX 20, there's a sweet spot with the master turned up about 3/4 and getting power section saturation, and it's loud.

Now, if you aren't worried about ever using it outside the house, or plan to always use an attenuator - knock yourself out!

Is that wise advice? Probably not. But it's free.

You need something to plug that sweet PS into. When does it arrive?

CNdN6s9.gif

NeIeg0D.gif

I have 3 fantastic tube amps - 2 Friedman and 1 Marshall. I am in an apt now while building a house.

I am in a band. All of my needs are being met playing through a PodGo into two Rokit 8 speakers through my Mac. The new band is also direct to PA with no amps.

NO noise issues here at all.

I have 3 fantastic tube amps - 2 Friedman and 1 Marshall. I am in an apt now while building a house.

I am in a band. All of my needs are being met playing through a PodGo into two Rokit 8 speakers through my Mac. The new band is also direct to PA with no amps.

NO noise issues here at all.
I was dealing with those low/no noise stage environments for a while, which was no problem with my Axe Fx rig. That Axe Fx III is hard to beat playing in variety bands where it was Hank Williams one minute and Stone Temple Pilots the next, and is definitely a viable way to go. I’d recommend the Fractal Audio FM3 for a compact rig with arena-filling sound, were I going for a really small “carry on” option. I’m going to get an FM9T in a couple of months for easy travel here. I’ve been a Fractal Fan since 2011 when I started gigging their stuff, and it’s the best out there, IMHO.

But I do still love my amps, and play on them regularly. The HXDA is my all-time favorite, but I get a new fave of the week every time I get a different one out. It was the Mesa California Tweed last week, and I had a ball running the NF3 and HB Spruce through it. The modelers, especially FAS, have nailed the sound and feel of amps, and no one in the audience is going to know the difference. But there is still something organic in the player to amp connection that just belongs to a good tube amp you can reach out and put your hands on. Nostalgia? Physical presence? Peculiarities of each circuit? The soft glow of the tubes? All in my head? Something else? Everything else? Possibly some or all, but it’s a thing. I love having them both. Add in an Ox Box and a Weber Z-Matcher and I can connect any amp option to any power amp or cabinet I own and play at any volume I want, including headphones. It’s guitar nirvana as far as amplification goes, though I understand why taking the time and money (and space) to compile a setup like this is not for everyone.

But back to the OPs point you’re addressing, yes, a modeler rig is impossible to beat in a volume-limited environment. You make a solid point, and it’s a great suggestion for anyone in an apartment with sensitive neighbors... especially if budget is a primary concern!

Last edited:
Guitar Center about 20 minutes from me allegedly has a HDRX 20 in stock. I may have to go over there and check it out.
You should , that said it has taken me a bit to really understand the HDRX , and how to dial it in and it changes radically between guitars.
Its always got a clean element to it, even with fuzz pedals and even with the Pauls favorite setting you can still get it clean ( All Vol at 10 )
reacts to the vol knob more than any amp I have ever owned. Took it to a Jam today and it did really well :)

Since you've mentioned amps up in this price range (Dr. Z, Germino, etc.), I would advise that the Carr Mercury V can do excellent "plexi" (and otherwise) tones all day long--and did I mention it's got a phenomenal built-in attenuator that allows you to run at bedroom volumes?
I'll second this! I got to play through the Carr Mercury V when MA Pete had one. That was a seriously great sounding amp.

The Carr Mercury V is my favorite amp by far. I even prefer it over my DG30.

Back