American Angelus Reviews?

hhuffman

Good Evening/Morning,

I have had many PRS electrics and amps and love them all. I also play acoustic quite a bit and am interested in an American Angelus. However there is nowhere around me to play one and any online reviews seems to be lost in all of the results for SE model reviews.

Can anyone point me to an honest, unbiased (I've found plenty of Youtube videos with Paul talking about them) reviews?

Thank you,
Heath

There are several very reputable and honest dealers on these boards who stock or have deep experience with PRS acoustics. I'd give a few of them a call.

I certainly believe there are....and I have no doubt that they are awesome instruments. I'm just surprised that I don't see more independent reviews, or actual owners on Youtube talking about their guitars.

I certainly believe there are....and I have no doubt that they are awesome instruments. I'm just surprised that I don't see more independent reviews, or actual owners on Youtube talking about their guitars.

There have been great reviews, including videos, back when they were introduced. But if you want to know what they sound like, and I mean really sound like in a pro level recording, listen to Tony McManus' album of incredibly well done pieces called "Mysterious Boundaries." The guitar is an Angelus with Tony's specs.

I have a Tonare, and not an Angelus, but I can vouch for the fact that this recording really shows off both how the Angelus sounds and the characteristics of the PRS USA acoustics in general. Plus it's a great record. If you don't want to buy it, you can listen to snippets on iTunes for free.

Here's Tony giving a lesson on Celtic playing that shows off the guitar fairly well, but of you google Acoustic Guitar magazine and PRS acoustics, there's a demo and review; you'll find an interview with Paul Smith about the acoustics done by Music Store Live, and many others.

I suspect that one reason you don't see a lot of YouTubers doing demos and blathering on about them is that they're very expensive guitars and have a smaller pool of owners who go out and do YouTube videos at all.

Thank you very much for your detailed and informative response. I will certainly listen to that album, although I would never expect to be able to make the sounds that McManus can.

I found a smoking deal on a 2012 Angelus which should be arriving today. I'll let you know what I think once I have it in my hands.

Thanks again,
Heath

I hope you like it and get what you're looking for, Heath.

Incidentally, on my Tonare I've found that the best sounding strings for it are the D'Addario 80/20 bronze Bluegrass set (light tops, medium bottoms) it came with. I didn't much care for Phosphor Bronze or other strings I tried. The guitar is very revealing of details like string tone differences.

I picked up a Cody Kilby (Private Stock) a few years ago. It is one incredible guitar.....More than my fingers deserve......I should move it on to someone that could do it justice, but I have never had an acoustic guitar anywhere near its equal, in all my years.

I hope you like it and get what you're looking for, Heath.

Incidentally, on my Tonare I've found that the best sounding strings for it are the D'Addario 80/20 bronze Bluegrass set (light tops, medium bottoms) it came with. I didn't much care for Phosphor Bronze or other strings I tried. The guitar is very revealing of details like string tone differences.
That's great info. Thank you for sharing. I always forget what like when I'm at the store staring at a wall of strings.

I received my Angelus yesterday. Unfortunately the action was way too high for me, and as it doesn't have the adjustable bridge I dropped it off at my local PRS shop for adjustment. I can't wait to give it some attention.

I have never had an acoustic guitar anywhere near its equal, in all my years.

I feel the same way about the two Tonares I've had. That includes some very high end Martins, Taylor 900 series, and Collings acoustics. Simply wonderful guitars!

I received my Angelus yesterday. Unfortunately the action was way too high for me, and as it doesn't have the adjustable bridge I dropped it off at my local PRS shop for adjustment. I can't wait to give it some attention.

It's an easy adjustment, though I left mine with the stock action. I think all they do to lower it is file the bone part of the bridge a little, and adjust the truss rod (if yours has one; mine has the carbon fiber truss rod, so the neck never changes).

I sincerely hope you get lifetime enjoyment out of it! :)

Mine is the carbon truss, so the only option is to file the bridge and nut....which worries me a bit, but the shop is John Mann's and PRS certified so I have faith.

Mine is the carbon truss, so the only option is to file the bridge and nut....which worries me a bit, but the shop is John Mann's and PRS certified so I have faith.

It's in great hands if John's got it.

While I don't own one, I've tried many over the years. Absolutely amazing guitars, but albeit they're a bit different than most other acoustic guitars. With the tight, locked up back and the looser top, it has this very strong forward projection type sound. They seem like they would be excellent for live playing and they just sound like cannons. Very balanced tone as well, with this evenness across all strings. But at times, I do miss that chest feel that you get with a looser back and they don't quite have that surrounding effect as I get with some others. Not saying that's bad, it's just different. So, it's just something to consider. This is all just my experience and others maybe different. Incredible instruments though and I would love to own many. I just have too many priorities with the electrics :D.

Back