Amazing people here

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by kes7u, Jul 11, 2018.

1. kes7u

kes7u Wife's husband and Dog's dad

Hello!

I hadn't planned on posting like this, but felt it would be appropriate.

I have already gotten messages from several people checking in on me, as I am selling most of my guitars with Brian.

I am still here, and I am OK. My wife and I had a heart to heart recently, and decided it was time to make a life change. Events transpired at work such that I haven't been allowed to get any time away since late last October, and still probably won't until at least next month. This has had quite an impact on our lives. Earning good money and able to buy really nice stuff, but at the severe expense of family time and any other interests. I imagine many of you are in a similar boat.

We finally decided to try to make a change. We went through everything and figured if we hoard for the next while and hit our 'NUMBER', then I can either quit or go part time and still not have to otherwise change our lifestyle in any significant way. Not happy with how things are going, we decided, What the heck???

I really do love playing guitar, and have been playing for 4-5 years now. Not being self deprecating, but truly still at the beginner-intermediate level. Still unable to play almost any of the music I enjoy. Would love the opportunity to give a real shot at getting good at this!

So for now, I've kept a couple of guitars back and will continue to play as often as possible. I plan to live vicariously through all of you for the time being. I DO plan on re-making my collection once this goal is met.

And you really are all such amazing people. Never expected anyone would check on me. So appreciative.

Kevin

#1 kes7u, Jul 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  2. Tone-y

Tone-y New Member

Good luck! Just keep a nice one back so that you feel special when you do get the chance to play. Although a collection of nice PRSi is lovely, the truth is that these days there are some wonderful guitars out there that perform well and don't cost the earth - especially if you go down the second hand route. Maybe a couple of nice second hand SEs to compliment a US PRS could be the way to go.

Alnus Rubra, dogrocketp and kes7u like this.
  3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Making a life change can be a good thing.

4. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Right on man! Good for you. Make time for living. Mrs and I budget carefully with the aim of semi-retirement as soon as we get our kiddo stood up on her own in the world. The sacrifices will be worth it.

5. dmatthews

dmatthews Dave's not here...

You are being a very wise man Kevin. All the best of luck with your plans and vision.

6. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

When I saw this thread, I logged in to say "where have you been?" Hadn't seen you around much and wondered how you were doing.

Answered! Sad to hear about you selling the guitars but glad it's because you're making changes that will improved your life. Money isn't everything. I look back at decisions I made years ago, passing up jobs with $200-$300K incomes because of family needs that required us to stay where we are. I have no regrets! I'd rather be happy than have a bunch of money and no family life.

You're doing the right thing! GOOD LUCK!!!

dogrocketp, kes7u and ScottR like this.
  7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Silver pants make me wanna dance.

My wife had the same discussion with me earlier this year. It was either change positions at work and risk advancement and income, or continue to work 60+ hours a week and not be around to watch our son grow up... it was an easy choice, and a quick conversation.

If you’re lucky enough to have a choice, you gotta take the one that means more time than stuff. Good on you.

Alnus Rubra, Cocorosa, Casi1 and 8 others like this.
  8. Alan Manning

Alan Manning Well Love a Duck Mary Poppins.!!!

Make the best of what you can while you can.
    Good Luck Be Happy.!!

dogrocketp, ScottR and kes7u like this.
  9. ScottR

ScottR If nobody saw it, it didn't happen.

Good for you Kevin! I'm happy for the both of you! Sometimes, life demands a change. From my experience, I would be the first to tell you... life has a way of beating us into submision. It's so easy to fall prey to the ideals we've been hammerd with our entire lives. We blindly chase what our perfect home, our perfect family, our perfect career or even a perfect life, all look like to us. In turn, we get sucked in and before we even begin to realize it...it's game over! I've found that when you are able to actually slow down and enjoy the ride, everything is well in the universe! We spend far more time climbing (I did anyway) than we allow ourselves time actually live! It comes a time to stop, and soak up what's truly important it sounds like you are doing just that! Having the foresight and the will to change is such a rare thing! In fact, I believe it's something very few people, possess. So, congrats on having both...that's what I call a Win-Win! Congrats! Take care buddy! Best wishes on the adventure! Don't be a stranger bro!

10. Tosca

Tosca Death by a million mini-toggles...

My heart sank when I saw all those beauties go up for sale...I know how much they must mean to you. I was so relieved and happy to hear it was a personal choice for all the right reasons. All the best Kevin...thanks for giving us all a nice dose of perspective.

dogrocketp, Alnus Rubra, jfb and 3 others like this.
  11. Steve's addiction

Steve's addiction New Member

Very wise decision Kevin. You can always buy "stuff" but a good wife and family comes once in a lifetime. Wish you and your family the very best.

12. veinbuster

veinbuster Coming of age

Sounds good to me Kevin.

kes7u likes this.
  13. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Solid choice, Kevin. Perfectly logical, and admirable! I wish you, and yours, all the best! Hope you get there sooner, rather than later.

kes7u likes this.
  14. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

Way to go Kevin! Having these same discussions now with my wife, and am personally making a career detour with the hopes of "getting out early". Hope it's a smooth transition for you and your wife!!

15. Dirty_Boogie

Dirty_Boogie Still got the ol' tagger on it

Simplify >> Happify! :)

Wishing you all the best with your life changes.

Alnus Rubra, ScottR and kes7u like this.
  16. shinksma

shinksma What? I get a title?

I concur with others here: a good solid choice. One that many people probably wish they had made earlier in life. Probably including me, eventually.

kes7u and ScottR like this.
  17. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

To quote a wise buddy...”it’s just stuff”. It sounds like you’ve reached that conclusion, too. :cool:

18. Huggy B

Huggy B It's just a snack.

I'm kinda in the same boat and just going down to 2-3 instruments......;)

...... I just didn't have a vast collection to sell off.:oops:

19. Cocorosa

Cocorosa New Member

Excellent decision, such a wise thing to do. I think life is chapter driven and the things that felt right earlier on just stop working and so many people miss the signals. Well done for spotting them and doing something about it. May lots of good luck follow you and your family in this next chapter :)

20. Tonart

Tonart Tone of the Art......or is that backwards?

If there was a protozoa just chilling out on a nail’s head, this hammer stroke split it into two.