Am I missing something????

markd21

I have a guitar for sale. I keep getting emails asking me how much it weighs. Why? I have never worried about how much a guitar weighs. Shoot, I don't even have a scale in the house!!! Is weight important to you guys? Am I missing something regarding the importance of weight???

Some people like to know because a couple pounds can make a big difference when standing and playing. It's not a HUGE deal to me, but my back can certainly tell the difference between my SE Singlecut and my Core Custom 24, especially after long shows or practices.

It's important to some people, some not so much.

I think most people have a pretty good idea what a guitar type they are interested in should weigh, like Les Paul vs. Tele vs. Hollowbody. I don’t want another 10 lb Les Paul, but other than that it doesn’t really factor in for me.

I think some of it is gathering justification for not buying something.

“Who’s the fullback, Jim?”

“Well, that’s 6 four, 275 pound, Joe Doakes, Bill. He’s a redshirt freshman back from Iowa who’s carried the ball for 1320 yards this season, 86 of them coming against the Mighty Mollusks, and in addition he has 7 touchdowns for the U of P Poopmeisters. Coach Kadiddlehopper is really high on this kid.”

“Jim, he’s in for another score. Hello Heisman!”

People love stats.

“Tell me about this guitar, Ron.”

“Hey, Joe...that’s a 7.1 lb. PRS McCarty, with a 25” scale length, two splittable humbuckers, and a BRW fretboard.”

“Pretty impressive.”

“Sure is, Joe. In fact, that guitar had 14 takes and two tracks of its own on the Critter People’s record, ‘In A Gadda Da Beatle. It’s signed on the back by the entire band. The original case retired a few years ago after some career-ending injuries, but this guitar was joined by a brand new case only last season.”

“The case’s retirement must have been something of a blow to the band, Ron.”

“Yes, but the band wishes it the best in its retirement, and after 5 years on the Tour, the case is now in the booth as a commentator for radio HXDA.”

Last edited:
I have weight limits for tonal reasons. LP style guitar. 7.25 to 8.5 lbs. Strat. 6 to 7.5
Tele 6 to 7.75. PRS cu 22. 6 to 7.75 lbs

Out of that range, not for me. Chances of it being a killer go way down to my ear. Lighter, lack of fullness. Heavier, less resonant.
Ymmv.

I thought the same thing when I started selling my guitars . It’s something I never have asked when I was buying . I’m guessing some people just want to know. Bad backs and maybe long gigs with heavy guitars bothers them .

Yep, big factor for me. The weight affects the balance and how a guitar feels on a strap. I've found in my experience, the further above 8 lbs, the less comfortable a guitar is. I really like my guitars in the lower 7 lb range.

Reactions: Tag
It's something that, years ago, people didn't used to be concerned about. There are so many instruments available nowadays that it's possible to be choosier than we could in the old days.

Weight matters more to me now that I'm older. No way could I shoulder my twelve-pound Jazz Bass for a whole set anymore. My heaviest Les Paul (10 lbs) is too much for me after a couple of tunes, even with a wide strap. Haven't ever had weight problems with a PRS though.

For some it may also be a tone / feel issue. I have tended to favor light axes because in general they've seemed more lively than their more massive brethren. Heavier ones often tend to feel a little more rigid, and it almost always takes much higher stage volume to make them light up and come alive for me. I don't have any scientific data to support it but my theory is, it simply takes more ambient energy to make a heavy instrument vibrate in sympathy with the amp. IME weightier guitars have often tended to have slightly heavier tone and faster attack too, attributes which some players appreciate more than I do. Myself, I prefer a slightly elastic feel and a more voicelike tone.

Last edited:
I ask. Prefer heavier but some buyers have back issues or are older and dont want to lug around an anchor.

Or are small, weigh less than 130lbs and nearly fall over trying to heft a Les Paul standard! I always put the weight on a listing if I have it, normally from the original selling details if bought at a shop. People do often ask so I am now prepared for it plus it matters a lot to me as a deal breaker.

Or are small, weigh less than 130lbs and nearly fall over trying to heft a Les Paul standard! I always put the weight on a listing if I have it, normally from the original selling details if bought at a shop. People do often ask so I am now prepared for it plus it matters a lot to me as a deal breaker.

I read this as the guitar weighing 130lb! Jeez, do you play solid gold guitars.

Obviously it’s a “mute point”, as I realise that I misread your post sorry Coco!:D

If I have a choice between two identical guitar and one is lighter, I will buy the lighter one. It's just comfort for me though. But I did hear an interview with musician (forgot who it is) that commented on their guitar being the lightest they could find because lighter guitars sound better. (wood resonates more) I forgot who said that or where I heard it. I want to say it was a rig run down.???

If weight makes any difference, I doubt I could tell though but I like lighter guitars because they are easy to stand and play for a long time. Not sure I would pay more for a few ounces though.

I never bothered about weight and always assumed it was self-limiting given how small electric guitar bodies are and that wood generally floats in water.

So it’s no surprise that occasionally I land a monster. This Ibanez RG weighs 10 pounds. Not a thick Les Paul, a slender RG. Go figure!
ZEST0H5.jpg

I never bothered about weight and always assumed it was self-limiting given how small electric guitar bodies are and that wood generally floats in water.

So it’s no surprise that occasionally I land a monster. This Ibanez RG weighs 10 pounds. Not a thick Les Paul, a slender RG. Go figure!
ZEST0H5.jpg

It’s the extra weight of the inlays. ;)

Back