Am I being Scammed on eBay?

JRod4928

I think I'm being scammed...... sold a bass on ebay last week. Shipped on Saturday. Delivery was scheduled for Wednesday but UPS said the address was incorrect and went back to warehouse. I reached out to the buyer to see if they contacted UPS to arrange for delivery, and they chose to pick it up at the UPS facility on Thursday. They were happy and claimed it was for the dad. Didn't open it until today - when they opened it they said they received an Ibanez acoustic (pictures provided)......... I shipped with UPS confirmation and insurance.

What BS is this? Are they scamming me? Did someone at UPS pull a switcheroo on Wednesday after the "address was wrong"?

What can I do?

Sorry to hear about your dilemma JRod.

I have no idea what's going on, but "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark" :eek:

I hope you find a solution and it works out for you.

Did they pick up the right box? If so I'd lean towards a shady buyer over UPS, possible but not as likely.

They're sending me photos of the box and packaging. And the weight of the shipment. See if it matches up.
Their communication so.far has been good. If it's a scam, they're being elaborate.

If the buyer is communicating well, I think you are on the right track on checking the weight. The difference in a acoustic box vs a bass guitar box is pretty substantial. Did you pack the bass? Do the pictures of the packaging look familiar? Can't really rule out anything right now, I'd be concerned in this order:

1. UPS location pickup error
2. Buyer scamming elaborately to make things look well for them with ebay.
3. UPS error in labeling the correct package before shipment
4. UPS employee theft...VERY unlikely but alas it is entirely possible.

If the buyer is communicating well, I think you are on the right track on checking the weight. The difference in a acoustic box vs a bass guitar box is pretty substantial. Did you pack the bass? Do the pictures of the packaging look familiar? Can't really rule out anything right now, I'd be concerned in this order:

1. UPS location pickup error
2. Buyer scamming elaborately to make things look well for them with ebay.
3. UPS error in labeling the correct package before shipment
4. UPS employee theft...VERY unlikely but alas it is entirely possible.

I'm with you on all that. 100%. I didn't tell them the weight that I know the box to be. And if they claim it's the same weight, I'll call their BS.

I packed the bass. The photos looks the same. Even the inner Styrofoam being wrapped in gray plastic. It's definitely the box I shipped. But not the instrument I shipped.

Resolved...... the buyer gave me their cell. I called and they said they found the bass. Apparently a mix up with their 80+ year old father who bought the bass.... I don't know 100% all the facts, but they apologized profusely and it appears to be over.....

Thanks all! I hope I don't have to come back on here. For episode 2....

You can rule out #3 and #1 now. That leaves the worst #2 and #4 options. The buyer will go silent or i-rate if it's a scam, and I can't imagine a UPS driver having the time to steal a bass and replace it with an acoustic...Proceed with caution.

Resolved...... the buyer gave me their cell. I called and they said they found the bass. Apparently a mix up with their 80+ year old father who bought the bass.... I don't know 100% all the facts, but they apologized profusely and it appears to be over.....

Thanks all! I hope I don't have to come back on here. For episode 2....

AWESOME! (this deserves all caps)

Back