Alternatives to tremol-no for blocking off floating trem on the go?

cags12

As the tittle says. Are there any alternatives out there?

I am looking for a device to totally block/unblock on the go like the tremol-no. Please refrain from suggesting any stabilizer like tremsetter etc or blocking devices that need tools or are semi-permanents.

My issue with Tremol-no is, first, seems to be a lottery to find one that works 100% well. The current one I have in my CU24 Floyd, has a wiggle/rattle in the joint of the rod with the claw that causes pitch to vary slightly even bein in the hardtail setting. I have to use the Deep C to remediate this but with time it needs re-adjustment and lets be honest, it should not be the case.

Another issue is that with enough pressure the Tremol-No will not prevent movement. i.e. If you want to remove all strings at once, the tremol-no will not hold all the tension from Springs as it relies on a friction system (thumb screws to rod). You are risking scaring the rod as the springs beat the friction of the thumb screws.

Ideally it would be great if there was another system that has some sort of mechanism like a lever that when engaged, blocks the trem robustly.

CSL Sophia has a couple solution but it is not entirely what I was looking for. Also, tremolo pocket of PRS is not standard.
https://csl-sophia-tremolos.myshopify.com/collections/global-tuner-upgrades

Last edited:
I’ve found nothing, so I’ll sit back and watch.
colbertpopcorn.gif

Note: This is NOT a recommendation. I'm just reporting what I've done. I, who know so little, would never recommend anything to people who know WAY more about PRS guitars than I do. However,
I made one for $1.35.... I taped a stack of 5 quarters and a dime together with scotch tape, which was just a bit fatter than the space between the trem and the body, used a screwdriver to lightly move the block forward, slid the quarters into the space and released the screwdriver. The trem block slightly pinched the quarters so they fit snug and don't move around. I've done this with all 3 of my PRS guitars; 2 SE Santanas and a SE Custom 24. It made tuning rock solid. One of the Santanas was a lot cheaper: $1.30...it took 5 quarters and a nickle. The idea is to get the trem in the right position and use the quarters to hold it there with just a small amount of pressure. I've been happy with the results and the investment. 6 months and going.... Removing is super easy, just pry the trem block with a screwdriver and the quarters fall out. Obviously, you have to do a bunch of retuning after either proceedure, but it's reversable and non-destructive.

Note: This is NOT a recommendation. I'm just reporting what I've done. I, who know so little, would never recommend anything to people who know WAY more about PRS guitars than I do. However,
I made one for $1.35.... I taped a stack of 5 quarters and a dime together with scotch tape, which was just a bit fatter than the space between the trem and the body, used a screwdriver to lightly move the block forward, slid the quarters into the space and released the screwdriver. The trem block slightly pinched the quarters so they fit snug and don't move around. I've done this with all 3 of my PRS guitars; 2 SE Santanas and a SE Custom 24. It made tuning rock solid. One of the Santanas was a lot cheaper: $1.30...it took 5 quarters and a nickle. The idea is to get the trem in the right position and use the quarters to hold it there with just a small amount of pressure. I've been happy with the results and the investment. 6 months and going.... Removing is super easy, just pry the trem block with a screwdriver and the quarters fall out. Obviously, you have to do a bunch of retuning after either proceedure, but it's reversable and non-destructive.

This is technically the same method I've used on all my vintage style trems, using coins also offers a little more contact between trem block and body and can improve tone.

Guitar currently used this method

Fullmoon Strat
Fullmoon Dragon Strat
Harley Benton BM-70 (Brian May Copy)
2 x Kramer Baretta Specials
PRS Core Standard 22
PRS Core CE-24
PRS SE Tremonti Custom

Give it a try it easily reversable and non-destructive as @David R. Katz pointed out

That makes a lot of cents!

:D

Back