Alright Guys

Coop

That one guy
I've figured out that I might be a single coil guy. I'm more shocked than anyone. What are my options? I've got the SE EG currently. Obviously the MD EG exists as well as as 305 and DC3. What are your thoughts on the MD single coil gitfiddles? I'll be saving my pennies to upgrade soon. All commentary appreciated.

Heretic! :eek:

As you probably guessed, I am NOT a single coil guy...but that Brent Mason has been really popular and sounds fantastic. He's definitely a guy that should have a firm grasp on good single coil tones.
That said, I LOVE the swamp ash narrowfield! If you can track one down check it out.

I haven't really played the DC3 or 305 much, so can't help you there.

Last edited:
I had similar thoughts to Bill and Vaughn (so you guys should probably seek medical consultation). The 513 and BM should cover the single-coil tones very well, but also allow for the humbucker use if the need arises. I actually thought about a 408 for the same reason - very good single-coil tones, but also has the humbucker sounds. Although I admit, it feels a bit strange to recommend a humbucker-equipped guitar for the single-coil tones. The big drawback with the 408 is that you wouldn't get the 2 and 4 Strat sound - but the BM should do that - and it's got "specially wound 408s". So if those do get the same tone as the regular 408s, I'd think you couldn't go wrong with the BM.

Damn - now *I'm* getting gas for one!

You could do what I have done. I love single coil tones too, but I'm fond of buckers as well. I have a MIM Strat that gets a workout when I need that quack, and then the Cu24 does the rest in bucker or single coil mode.

A 513 would totally fit the prog stuff you guys are doing I think. Of course you have to like the pickups since you can't change em. Although that applies to most of the guitars we're talkin here.

I had similar thoughts to Bill and Vaughn (so you guys should probably seek medical consultation). The 513 and BM should cover the single-coil tones very well, but also allow for the humbucker use if the need arises. I actually thought about a 408 for the same reason - very good single-coil tones, but also has the humbucker sounds. Although I admit, it feels a bit strange to recommend a humbucker-equipped guitar for the single-coil tones. The big drawback with the 408 is that you wouldn't get the 2 and 4 Strat sound - but the BM should do that - and it's got "specially wound 408s". So if those do get the same tone as the regular 408s, I'd think you couldn't go wrong with the BM.

Damn - now *I'm* getting gas for one!

+1 on all this. 513, BM, or 408 (or Paul's) give you the flexibility to hit the humbucker tones if needed.

Hard to tell from the pics, but are the BM 408s regular humbucker size? That might give a little added flexibility if you ever need to swap, but really, the 408s sound awesome. I've thrown tons of styles at them, and they've done it all.

A 513 would totally fit the prog stuff you guys are doing I think. Of course you have to like the pickups since you can't change em. Although that applies to most of the guitars we're talkin here.

The 513 looks really rad. A bevy of sounds I'd imagine.

DC3's are fairly inexpensive and probably the most "Fender" of PRS's single coil offerings.... but no fancy looking curves.

I'm a big fan of the 305, I gotta pick one up at some point..

Scott is an odd bird but this shows off the guitar's capabilities and is a very good review:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to tell from the pics, but are the BM 408s regular humbucker size? That might give a little added flexibility if you ever need to swap, but really, the 408s sound awesome. I've thrown tons of styles at them, and they've done it all.

I think they are the same size as the normal narrow 408s, meaning a little narrower than a humbucker, and a little longer. Since the BM has a pickguard, you can always just replace e pickguard with a new one sized for humbuckers, if you wanted to go that route.

513...longer scale lends itself to bends, and HB tones are very full and chimey (did I really just write "chimey"??) ...the Swamp ash 513 has great single coil tones...good luck, and try 'me all!!

Back