All time fave...

For my money...this is the best demo of a piece of musical gear EVER! Also.,,,hands down the most entertaining.
WARNING!!!! You will have an uncontrollable urge

That’s the video I was talking about!

What did you get and when does it arrive?
Well it was more on a bit of a whim, wasn’t really looking for a Starla. But... I didn’t realize the core were 24.5” scale and I’ve been contemplating something more of a vintage, retro, classic vibe for a bit. Had considered some of the S2 standards or a satin Vela. Had always wished the standard was a shorter scale. After your video, I googled the core Starla because I didn’t remember much about them. When I saw it was 24.5” and the bigsby seemed to hold tuning ok, I said “screw it, gonna give one a shot!” Saw one on the verb for a decent price and pulled the trigger. Would’ve preferred cherry, but this vintage mahogany was priced below everything else so I hit the buy button! Will see if I dig the vibe. Been listening to the black crowes and Chris Cornell stuff lately. Figured this could fit the bill. Not sure when it will be here. Hopefully by Friday.

Well it was more on a bit of a whim, wasn’t really looking for a Starla. But... I didn’t realize the core were 24.5” scale and I’ve been contemplating something more of a vintage, retro, classic vibe for a bit. Had considered some of the S2 standards or a satin Vela. Had always wished the standard was a shorter scale. After your video, I googled the core Starla because I didn’t remember much about them. When I saw it was 24.5” and the bigsby seemed to hold tuning ok, I said “screw it, gonna give one a shot!” Saw one on the verb for a decent price and pulled the trigger. Would’ve preferred cherry, but this vintage mahogany was priced below everything else so I hit the buy button! Will see if I dig the vibe. Been listening to the black crowes and Chris Cornell stuff lately. Figured this could fit the bill. Not sure when it will be here. Hopefully by Friday.
Nice snag!

Interested to see how you like the Bigsby. I've played them before, but most (even the REALLY nice old 335 I played) wouldn't hold tune so I didn't give them much of a chance. My buddies store had one that I really liked but didn't buy it because A) it had the Bigsby, and B) he had that flametop core Mira at the same time and I REALLY wanted that guitar.

Congrats, Vaughn! Should be a killer guitar.

Interested to see how you like the Bigsby. I've played them before, but most (even the REALLY nice old 335 I played) wouldn't hold tune so I didn't give them much of a chance. My buddies store had one that I really liked but didn't buy it because A) it had the Bigsby, and B) he had that flametop core Mira at the same time and I REALLY wanted that guitar.
We’ll see. Obviously out of my norm here. Hoping I like the tones enough to be inspired and that it stays in tune. If I dig it, might be a DADGAD tuned guitar. I’ve stayed away away from bigsby’s for the tuning issues too. Honestly never have even played one.

Well after letting it acclimate for a few hours(thankfully temps were reasonable), I got it out to just be sure everything functions and there was no damage. Initial reaction is that I dig it! Needs strings, wound strings are pretty dead. Quick plug into the Divided by 30 FTR37 clean channel is the pickups are cool. The tapped are maybe a little thinner than care for but all 3 humbucker positions sounded cool. The bigsby seems to stay in tune well enough even with old strings. He sent it detuned, with the spring out and I was pretty surprised how quick I was able to tune it up. Will do a little more exploration after new strings and some minor setup tweaks. I actually like this color quite a bit, although not easy to photograph. He said it’s vintage mahogany I think? The hog has enough reddish hue to make me happy. Might like it better than cherry. Enough blabbering. Here’s a quick pic- excuse the mess of cables.

8hQ2pNQ.jpg

Well after letting it acclimate for a few hours(thankfully temps were reasonable), I got it out to just be sure everything functions and there was no damage. Initial reaction is that I dig it! Needs strings, wound strings are pretty dead. Quick plug into the Divided by 30 FTR37 clean channel is the pickups are cool. The tapped are maybe a little thinner than care for but all 3 humbucker positions sounded cool. The bigsby seems to stay in tune well enough even with old strings. He sent it detuned, with the spring out and I was pretty surprised how quick I was able to tune it up. Will do a little more exploration after new strings and some minor setup tweaks. I actually like this color quite a bit, although not easy to photograph. He said it’s vintage mahogany I think? The hog has enough reddish hue to make me happy. Might like it better than cherry. Enough blabbering. Here’s a quick pic- excuse the mess of cables.

8hQ2pNQ.jpg

Congratulations Vaughn, cracking guitar!

Back