All Things Being Equal...

I'll take the '59 Les Paul. I could sell it and buy a prs, and a house, and a car.

There’s something really special with the woods used by the current day Gibson LP re-issues. The inherent tone, and especially the consistency of it guitar to guitar, cannot be overstated. It’s so good, I don’t need to bother with original holy grails. I know it in my bones you can’t get much better than that. The thing for me though, is that they all look the same. If you have one or two, you have them all. That to me, is both the boon and bane of tradition. Boosted by the likes of Jimmy Page, but forever shackled thus. How many buy double cut LPs?

The PRS though combine variety with great tone. Different models, colors etc.

So I would choose the PRS (and maybe keep just one Reissue if I could cheat a little :p)

Latin! I love it, gentlemen!! Only on the PRS Forum.

Soon we’re going to be translating Caesar’s Commentaries, and yes indeed, Gallia in tres parties divisa est. Then maybe we can swing into a little Virgil translation (I’m a fan of the Aeneid), and finish up with my personal favorite, Ovid. Any time you want to delve into Epigramma Ipsius, we’re on.

Though I’d have to brush up just a little. It’s been a long time since my college Latin class; OK, like maybe 2000 years. But I remember a lot! ;)
Brings to mind the greatest sports cheer in history. And it’s team agnostic!
“Sicut Galia
Sicut Galia
Ille vobis in tres partes dividendi sunt”

If money was not a factor, then I would prefer a few different PRS Private stocks over a vintage “holy grail” guitar.

Sell the ‘59 LP and look forward to being able to spec a new PS PRS every year for the rest of my life...
Might be fun to start a few at the same time and get a pool going on which gets done first. More money to be made!

...sell Gilmore's guitar, use the money to put it down towards a new house in the Bay Area or some other disgustingly expensive place. I would rent the house and use the net between rent and mortgage as another revolving source of income to buy more guitars.

Might be fun to start a few at the same time and get a pool going on which gets done first. More money to be made!

You guys are giving me a great idea for a PRS Forum Ponzi Scheme...new members donate a few bucks each, then after recruiting a few more members they get a White Westie...or has that already been done?

Soon we’re going to be translating Caesar’s Commentaries, and yes indeed, Gallia in tres parties divisa est. Then maybe we can swing into a little Virgil translation (I’m a fan of the Aeneid), and finish up with my personal favorite, Ovid. Any time you want to delve into Epigramma Ipsius, we’re on.

Though I’d have to brush up just a little. It’s been a long time since my college Latin class; OK, like maybe 2000 years. But I remember a lot! ;)
Oh and in these times, I think the world could use modern Marcus Valerius Martialis

I'd rather have my Silver Sky, or 305 than a Strat. If I had a pile of cash would it be "fun" to have an old original? Sure... but I'd play the aforementioned first/more often.
I also have a hard time thinking I'd play an old LP with P90 instead of my 594 soapy.
PRS has spoiled me rotten, and for less money than 50s/60s stuff, so yeah... I'm good.

You guys are giving me a great idea for a PRS Forum Ponzi Scheme...new members donate a few bucks each, then after recruiting a few more members they get a White Westie...or has that already been done?

I’m totally into that.

Depends on the guitar.

Solid body? Yeah, I'd take a PRS. Unless it's a Tele.

Hollowbody? It's tough. I like mine except the 245 pickups in it so it's yet to be seen.

Archtop? I'm going to go the vintage route on this one. There's something about a Stromberg...

I don't recogonise holy grail guitars. All guitars are secular to my eyes. All guitars are tools as well; no matter how pretty they are.

I would certainly keep my favourite guitar in preference to something 'mythical'.

The thing for me though, is that they all look the same. If you have one or two, you have them all. That to me, is both the boon and bane of tradition. Boosted by the likes of Jimmy Page, but forever shackled thus. How many buy double cut LPs?

I would very much prefer a DC LP. I have played a bunch of them, just never found the right one yet.
I don't care about what Jimmy Page played; or what anyone else plays for that matter.

So, I was in the shop when this came in the other day: https://www.rivercityguitars.com/li...ina-limba-body-stratocaster-sunburst/25886470

They let me have a noodle on it, and while it had a vibe, played and sounded nice, it's still not my thing.

All things being equal, I'd never trade it for the ME1 I have. Heck, I might not trade it IRL either. I've played a lot of guitars, and this one just does something for me that no other ever has.

Couldn’t resist!

“If it’s not done by sun rise.....”:confused::confused:

Edit - as this is a PRS forum all I'll say is there is some stuff I've seen and played in the past I'd be tempted by. It's nice to see everyone is so loyal to their PRSi that they'd not swap. Good stuff.

Last edited:
When I met my first, real PRS (SC245) I had an opportunity to play a 53 goldtop at the same time. The PRS was infinitely better in every important factor. While it was cool holding a piece of history, nostalgia itself doesn't have a great tone. I'd rather go with a guitar that plays and plays rather than a collector item.

I started playing in the 80s - punk and then metal. The vintage guitar craze hadn't exploded yet. Because of price, compared to a Jackson, Charvel or 48th St Custom (ESP), I had a couple of vintage guitars. I had a 1969 Les Paul. I hated it. It was heavy and hard to shred on. My band mates and I did a Townsend with after practice one night. Tragic now, but my dad got it for $500 at a pawn shop.

Another one I had was a Fender Duo Sonic II. Again, it didn't work for my music. Also, it felt rickety and fragile. I traded it toward my Ibanez 540S that I got in 1987.

The Strat was my grandfather's. He was a country guy in the 50s and 60s. He had 2 Strats, one with a maple board, one with a rosewood board. When he died the maple board went to my brother, the rosewood went to me. To us they were just grandpa's old guitars. Later on we realized the value. My brother's is a red '57, mine was a black '63. He plays his all the time. It is his only guitar. However, he's a couch player. He noodles along with records once in a blue moon. I, on the other hand, am a more active musician. I would rather have a bunch of colors and tools available than just one guitar that was old.

I did struggle with the sentimental value of moving the Strat. But when my mom died it changed. She was born and raised in Annapolis. I had always wanted PRS guitars. So, in a way, moving the Strat to get PRS guitars has allowed me daily tribute to my mom. I feel she is a part of every piece of music I create, which is also important to me since she supported my music so much.

Cheesy, but true....

Back