All Things Being Equal...

I think this can be the case for anything though. The first SS models that came into my local shop had issues (mostly plastic parts) and the manager said ‘WTH... flimsy parts on a brand new $2200 made in US guitar ‘ etc. And I won’t type the rest. But catch my drift. I’m told that these early issues were one offs that PRS resolved immediately once notified.

I have two Gibson’s from the 2019 line and while I do believe the brand is recovering (I was impressed by the ‘return to basics’ approach), I did notice a difference in quality between the 2019 models made in 2018 and the 2019 models made in 2019. It was an odd split for 2019 but both models, in my opinion, were steps in the right direction.

Surely PRS wouldn’t send guitars off for review with issues, but I do think folks are going over these guitars with a magnifying glass because they know the status of the company.

I was just a little taken aback by the review and article, but I can’t disagree with you.

It would appear I'm the odd man out here but what's new? Maybe it's because I already own a few Holy Grail vintage guitars. I've been lucky enough to have had a lot of great old Fenders and Gibsons pass through my hands and the good ones speak to me in a way nothing else does. There have been duds along the way to. A particular 1962 Inca Silver Strat sticks out in my mind. Quite possibly the worst Strat I've ever owned but at least it was worth a ton when I sold it.

This being a PRS forum I should mention I certainly do have a thing for PRS guitars as well. Been a fan since about 1986 and they will always be near the top of my list. The 594 I bought is spectacular and I'll always have a few CU24s sitting around.

Last edited:
I was just a little taken aback by the review and article, but I can’t disagree with you.
I didn’t realize companies sent instruments for review. I would have thought publications would get them commercially, to give a more realistic idea of what the consumer might expect. I realize that’s expensive. However, if a manufacturer can “game” the system. Which is my assumption about what’s happening with these Harley Benton guitars that you tubers are raving about. I’ve no doubt HB are sending them guitars that seem like great value. The ones I’ve tried in the wild have been horrible

I didn’t realize companies sent instruments for review. I would have thought publications would get them commercially, to give a more realistic idea of what the consumer might expect. I realize that’s expensive. However, if a manufacturer can “game” the system. Which is my assumption about what’s happening with these Harley Benton guitars that you tubers are raving about. I’ve no doubt HB are sending them guitars that seem like great value. The ones I’ve tried in the wild have been horrible

I don’t see anything wrong with sending out guitars for review. But fergodsakes, if you’re gonna do it, at least send nice ones! o_O

I don’t see anything wrong with sending out guitars for review. But fergodsakes, if you’re gonna do it, at least send nice ones! o_O
I don’t think it’s wrong, per se. I guess I just, erroneously, assumed that these publications attempted to remove as much influence as possible, even if that influence doesn’t have any corrupt intent. Consumer advocates. This, particularly, with companies like Gibson who have shown to have different standards of quality, depending on how it suits them.

But yes, given the ball on a tee to hit, one wonders how they managed to bugger it up

Back