All new Journey

Wakester

Re Member
So, Neal Schon annouced last night an all new line up for Journey, in a video release for a UNICEF fundraiser. Schon, immediately followed the video release with a few tweets and insta's and FB posts that Steve Smith was out, along with Journey Co-founder Ross Valory. Their replacement are Randy 'Dawg' Jackson, who played with Journey in the 80's when Vallory left the first time. Yes, thi is the same Randy Jackson of American Idol fame. Smith is being replaced by Narada Michael Walden, whom i believe most recently played with Jeff Beck.
Jason Derlatka was also in the video stream providing backing vocals as well as Key support to Jonathan Cain. I suspect Jason will also be filling up some lead vocal roles once live concerts start opening up again.
I've got to admit, i was a bit confused when the UNICEF video played last night, but Journey has always been a fluid band, and Neal's baby since he left Santana.

Last edited:
I assume Arnel is still singing? I really liked Steve Augeri, too. Did you ever hear him in Tall Stories? Good stuff!

Arnel was singing last night, so I have to think he will remain as lead singer. I thoroughly enjoyed Augeri in lead the 2 times I saw him live. Its a shame he blew out his vocal chords when he did, I think he made an excellent frontman for the band.

Yep, last time I heard Steve A, it wasn’t pretty. I like Arnel, and still remember seeing him on video singing in some bar with The Zoo before his “discovery.” You have to pull for someone with that kind of improbable story! Having grown up with the original Journey, and seeing them play several times between 78 and 81, I’ll always see Steve P in front. Still, it’s good to see them continue.

I wish them nothing but success, it’s great music.

I really thought Greg Rollie was coming back, after the Journey Through Time project. Everyone looked to to be grooving and meshing real well together. I guess it wasnt meant to be.

I actually prefer Steve A to Arnel as a frontman/singer, but both are good. There’s only one Steve Perry, but his latest solo record was not impressive. :(

Last edited:
I actually prefer Steve A to Arnel as a frontman/singer, but both are good. There’s only one Steve Perry, but his solo record was not impressive. :(
Yeah, it was a bit of a disappointment, and really didn't move on the charts other than "Oh Sherrie"

His guitarist for the album, Lincoln Brewster has really made a name for himself in the Christian genre, and has had multiple hits and awards.

Yeah, it was a bit of a disappointment, and really didn't move on the charts other than "Oh Sherrie"

His guitarist for the album, Lincoln Brewster has really made a name for himself in the Christian genre, and has had multiple hits and awards.

Steve Perry made a recordIng a year or two ago. It went nowhere. His vocals were disappointing.

Note: I actually edited my post (must have been seconds after yours) and added the word “latest.”

Back