All mahogany McCarty ?

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I’m sure there is info on this some place but I can’t find it.

Thanks

I see there was a McCarty “standard”. Apparently all Mahogany body with no maple top? Not sure about other differences from the core McCarty. Im wondering if it’s been discontinued and if not then why isn’t it listed as a option? Is this a option on other core models?
Also curious about the tone.
Anyone who has anything to chip in here would be appreciated

It is discontinued. It was a core model and existed years before the S2 line. No other difference in specs except the absence of a maple top. If you want a trem there was also a run of DGT standards. If you are lucky you could find a Mc Carty standard with soapbars as well...

I played one in stock at a dealer’s with soapbars in the late early ‘00s, and nearly bought it. I thought it was terrific!

However, at the time I was seduced by an SC Artist that was so pretty, and also sounded great, and I left the store with that one.

However, I’ve seriously considered having a mahogany PS made with triple soapbars. I never forgot how good the ‘hog McC sounded. Let’s put it this way - it was sweeter than my ‘65 SG Special.

I played one in stock at a dealer’s with soapbars in the late early ‘00s, and nearly bought it. I thought it was terrific!

However, at the time I was seduced by an SC Artist that was so pretty, and also sounded great, and I left the store with that one.

However, I’ve seriously considered having a mahogany PS made with triple soapbars. I never forgot how good the ‘hog McC sounded. Let’s put it this way - it was sweeter than my ‘65 SG Special.
You would prefer mahogany instead of korina for a PS build?

You would prefer mahogany instead of korina for a PS build?

Yup!

I love the warm, resonant tone of mahogany, with its rich midrange and lower mids. It’s a beautiful-sounding tonewood!

It’s got a softer attack than Korina that works really well with some pickups and some types of music. Just my preference is all.

I had a '96 McCarty Standard, in Vintage Cherry. It was a great guitar -- warm and punchy. Kind of like a Gibson SG, but with more beef. All Mahogany, all day.

I traded it in for a slightly better maple-topped McCarty. It isn't that I prefer the sound of maple-topped McCartys to a McCarty Standards. I just fell in love with that particular McCarty (which I still own), and I couldn't afford it unless I traded the Standard in towards the purchase.

I don't regret giving it up, but I wish I still had it. ;)

On a related note: When I was in school for audio recording, a guy brought in his McCarty Standard (with Soapbar pickups) to record some tracks. It sounded sweeeet. Depending on the type of sound you're looking for, I'd definitely consider that option.

I owned this a few years (or more) back. McCarty Rosewood Soapbar Standard. Fellow I bought it from had two; this and a cherry one. The story was some folks ordered this combination of features before Paul had officially approved the model, and he pulled the plug. By that time, 26 had slipped through the cracks, making the original ones pretty rare, at least at the time. One of quite a few McCartys I’ve owned.

134891286.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Korina McCarty with P90s. I t was my 2nd guitar for gigs for quite some time. It hasn't seen much playing time since I got a double cutaway Tele and the 594. Usually one of those two are the second guitar I take for gigs. #1 is my HwyOne Tele which is just "the" guitar for me.

Yup!

I love the warm, resonant tone of mahogany, with its rich midrange and lower mids. It’s a beautiful-sounding tonewood!

It’s got a softer attack than Korina that works really well with some pickups and some types of music. Just my preference is all.

Me too... I have an all Korina McCarty and an all mahogany ‘67 crestwood. The McCarty is physically thicker but the Crestwood ‘sounds’ bigger, warmer, and smoother despite its lil mini humbuckers . I love both guitars but if I were building a PS, I’d go with the hog.

Me too... I have an all Korina McCarty and an all mahogany ‘67 crestwood. The McCarty is physically thicker but the Crestwood ‘sounds’ bigger, warmer, and smoother despite its lil mini humbuckers . I love both guitars but if I were building a PS, I’d go with the hog.

Not that I don’t like Korina, because it’s great, too, but ‘hog is more my thing.

Not that I don’t like Korina, because it’s great, too, but ‘hog is more my thing.

Yup. I like Korina too. I don’t have a general preference; my preference depends on the sound I’m seeking. For that warm smooth sound, I’d choose hog every time... for punchy, I’d probably look to a different tone wood.

Yup. I like Korina too. I don’t have a general preference; my preference depends on the sound I’m seeking. For that warm smooth sound, I’d choose hog every time... for punchy, I’d probably look to a different tone wood.

To my way of thinking, the perfect combination for a punchier, brighter sound is the time-tested, traditional maple over mahogany. Perhaps I think it’s balanced nicely because that’s a sound that’s been on records I grew up with, but over a course of many years, it’s what I’ve settled on.

I’ve tried maple/alder, maple/ash and they’re nice, but maple/‘hog is where I come down in the greater scheme of things. I’ve also found I like the tone of a set neck best.

Some of this may be because I was mostly a Gibson player in my pre-PRS days, but I’m never really satisfied with other formulas.

To my way of thinking, the perfect combination for a punchier, brighter sound is the time-tested, traditional maple over mahogany. Perhaps I think it’s balanced nicely because that’s a sound that’s been on records I grew up with, but over a course of many years, it’s what I’ve settled on.

I’ve tried maple/alder, maple/ash and they’re nice, but maple/‘hog is where I come down in the greater scheme of things. I’ve also found I like the tone of a set neck best.

Some of this may be because I was mostly a Gibson player in my pre-PRS days, but I’m never really satisfied with other formulas.

Good point. I am a little biased because I love the sound of a mean Strat; it happens that most of the mean sounding Strats that I’ve played were made out of dense ash. So I guess that puts me in the maple neck, ash body, bolt on neck club.

But

If I am not going for that mean Strat sound then that changes everything.

For a general purpose / can do it all guitar, I would tend to go for maple on hog. But I’d have my all hog, all Korina, or ash Strat as my backup for a different sound.

I have one, it was my least expensive PRS purchase, but remains one of my favorites.

As promised, a better set of photos:

No guitars fell over during the photography, although it was a bit touch-and-go.

D4N_KmmUwAAdBH8

Top Grain, was rather overcast today, so the aperture had to be wide open

D4N_KmlUEAAdzS2

My first one with Moons! Was hard to get a good shot. =(

D4N_KmsUUAEW71E

Olde Schoole Tuners - I hardly even know how to string a guitar without locking ones any more.
D4N_KmnUYAADaRS
I have one

At the risk of becoming known as an all hog fanboy, "I'm an all hog fanboy..." I like the tone better than with the maple cap. There are times when I want the more pronounced high end, but usually I want the powerful warmth of all mahogany.

Recently one of my friends lent me this Standard 24 20th Ann. (all hog) with MC pups in it. The all-mahogany body and set in mahogany neck resonate and vibrate a bit more perceivably than my Modern Eagle. In action, it responses differently from maple capped guitars - a bit quicker to be said. And for this particular modded STD 24 I think it sounds better with these hot-vintage pups than stock HFS, but this is my thought.

All in all I think PRS Standard guitars are worthy to be keepers.

jSQhOPI.jpg

s1yh80M.jpg

Last edited:
Back