All hog?

RevBillyG

Are there any current all mahogany body core models? Like the DGt & McCarty have been offered in the past... I think they were called "Standards"

Looking at the website looks like standards are only available in the S2 series right now , but I bet there is inventory out there

Sooooooo I'm curious, why are the S2 standards front routed instead of sticking with the standard back rout like the core and SE standards? That question had more than the standard amount of "standards."

I assume they're front mounted to lower the cost to manufacturer.

Yeah, it's more cost effective. Plus I think it looks better with a guard on those flat-ish mahogany bodies. A while back Dave's got hold of some rear routed S2 Standards and I thought they looked rather plain.

It would be cool to see some more Core Standards, but I guess they don't sell well enough.

Before CNC I could see the cost savings. Nowadays, not so much.

Time is money, & I'm sure it's easier to install a loaded pickgaurd than individual pickups & rings, but someone has to load the pickgaurd... unless they're importing a bunch of loaded pickgaurd.

unless they're importing a bunch of loaded pickgaurd.

I think they are. All the electronics are Asian, except the jack I believe. That way it's just wire the jack, wire ground to bridge, and then drop it right in. The Singlecut has the extra step of wiring the switch.

I've often thought about various permutations of an all-mahogany PS, too.

I would do that too except the past all hog offerings were good for me and so the PS route wasn't necessary. I own 3 all hog PRS and I love the mid/low end power. Don't be afraid to find one in the used market. They rock, especially with P90's!

I had a standard 22 stop tail back in the day but sadly sold it. If they offered that model again I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

My Standards have sounded better than my maple tops, to me. That includes a McCarty Standard, McCarty Soapbar Mahogany, and a CE24 Mahogany. Could just be coincidence of the right piece of wood and right pickups, I'll never know. AP515 has my old McSoapy Mahogany. It sounds amazing.

Oh yeah, my Mira Korina was a solid hog variant. Best sounding guitar I've ever had. Wish I could have gotten past the shape, which did not look good in that "color," but I was too shallow to fall in love with her.

My mahogany metal machine was my first PRS. Love this thing.
8SFJODj.jpg

Back