All Hail The 85/15

Would’e?

As a long-time drooler and, finally, new PRS owner (2020 CE24) I have to say among the many features of this guitar I like (and one or two I don’t) is the pickups. I think I love them, actually. For reference my favorite pickups I own (in two guitars) are the Gibson Tony Iommi signature set. Those are brilliant and unique — rail pickups using both alnico ii and ceramic magnets with a pretty even response across the tonal spectrum. The 85/15s have a lovely/lively high-mid/high bump that on the ultra gain channel of my DSL makes the guitar sing in the nicest and nastiest way. I have never played anything from Duncan or DiMarzio that sound this good. Now, my Ibanez AZ and its SD Hyperions actually do cleans a little better, but as a heavy rocker I’m mostly cranking the gain and, man the 85/15s get it done, SO WELL.

Last edited:
I haven’t had the chance to play the US made 85/15, but the 85/15S are some of my favorite pickups ever. So clear, defined, and versatile. I play through a DSL too, and I know what you mean about that bump in the high mids. Lovely.

Back