All about bicycles

You're right. I wasn't watching that close, and didn't go back to watch it again. I remember a couple his descents from last year's Tour de France. He definitely will be one to watch.

And, don't even get me started on the Stop sign he ran! :p

Ha! I don't understand that stop sign. It's a one way road with nothing but a cliff going up on the right and a cliff going down on the left...

ACK! I've seen in the news that a storm is going to bring snow all the way across the continent this week.

I'm doing more bikepacking this weekend. Riding with a large group on rural roads from Alachua (just NNW of Gainesville, home to University of Florida) north to the Osceola National Forest for a campout and then back. Looking at 135-ish miles for the weekend. If it's any consolation to you northerners, it looks highly likely we'll get rained on a good bit Saturday. ;)

Meanwhile I live in the bullseye of the snowbelt off Lake Erie and have no snow. A little a couple of days ago, but it's gone. It's been rainy and cold, though, so I've only managed to jog the last couple of days. It'll be in the 60s tomorrow, but I'll spend the day driving.

For the snowbound, maybe someplace rents cross country skis? Or better yet, fat tire bikes!

Sheesh! It's been balmy in my part of Chicagoland (Wayne's World) this February. We've had a whopping 4" of snow this month (should be closer to 20". It was 58 F yesterday, and we got an inch-and-a-half of rain (and 2 tornadoes). If that had been snow, it would have been 18". Heck, that was the 3rd day this February that we got between 1" and 1.5" of rain. Translate that to snow, and we'd be talking more than 3 feet of snow. It's been a weird winter.

Hope you’re stocked up with beers?;)
I'm good for tonight at least... :cool:
Sheesh! It's been balmy in my part of Chicagoland (Wayne's World) this February. We've had a whopping 4" of snow this month (should be closer to 20". It was 58 F yesterday, and we got an inch-and-a-half of rain (and 2 tornadoes). If that had been snow, it would have been 18". Heck, that was the 3rd day this February that we got between 1" and 1.5" of rain. Translate that to snow, and we'd be talking more than 3 feet of snow. It's been a weird winter.
Yikes!
Yes weird indeed. This is abnormal here.:(

Best dust off the sled.​
rosebud.jpg

w00t! NBD!

First impressions are very favorable. I think I'm going to have a lot of fun on this thing. Now I just need to get a shock pump and figure out how the heck to set up a suspension fork. :p

DCfGWfY.jpg

yo6VkMH.jpg
Looks tight! Congrats on a great spinner!! Is that top tube tapered thicker at the headstock than it is at the seat tube or is that an illusion?

Fork setup depends on the kind of riding, and how the rider likes it setup.

As a generic setup, aim for 25-40% static sag.
For more technical off-road riding, the classic target is to only bottom it out on very hard hits.
For less technical riding, it's more common to set them firmer, to eek out those last vital watts instead of the fork absorbing them, or more seriously if all you're riding is pretty smooth paths/trails/road, having a wallowy fork just feels a bit weird.

Regardless, the 25-40% target is a reasonable starting point, although I'd probably start around the 25-30% and try it.
There might be an o-ring on a leg of the fork to help with this. You can slide it down to check sag, but it can also be used to see how much travel you're using during a ride.

What other settings does the fork have?

Rebound, I personally like as fast as possible without it being that fast the fork pogo-stick bounces of every hit, however unless you're hitting something with lots of big hits at speed (i.e. high speed big tree roots, or rock gardens), slower is fine. You don't want it that slow that it's noticeable slow returning from being compressed as then it'll pack down too much over successive hits.

Compression, I like as little as possible. Adding compression helps avoid diving, but at the cost of suppleness.

Off course depending on the exact damping cartridge fitted, there may be more than two damping dials.

21+ miles yesterday. But windy - really kicked me in the knuts. And a little over halfway through, while I was taking a water and picture break, the battery in my iPod Shuffle died, leaving me with just the voices in my head for company.
Nut cracker... sweet! Nicely done. It's been so long for me it'll be like starting all over again... again!

Back